Setup Quote Advice

jacobmatthew

Hi everyone, I recently sent in a guitar into PRS to be worked on and they fixed the electronic issues but they also mentioned the fretboard had some wear. They recommended a fret-level and setup service, which they quoted at $300. This seems a little high to me but maybe there is something extra that PRS does? What's everyones thoughts here? Is this something I could/should do on my own or maybe try taking to a local place once I get the guitar back? Or just figure, hey PRS knows their own guitar better than anyone and they have it on the workbench already, might as well have them do it?

Hi everyone, I recently sent in a guitar into PRS to be worked on and they fixed the electronic issues but they also mentioned the fretboard had some wear. They recommended a fret-level and setup service, which they quoted at $300. This seems a little high to me but maybe there is something extra that PRS does? What's everyones thoughts here? Is this something I could/should do on my own or maybe try taking to a local place once I get the guitar back? Or just figure, hey PRS knows their own guitar better than anyone and they have it on the workbench already, might as well have them do it?
I have never worked with PTC, but have heard a lot of good things about their work. I personally would have them do it for the reasons you mentioned. It will be the best that could possibly be done for that guitar I am sure!!

I have never worked with PTC, but have heard a lot of good things about their work. I personally would have them do it for the reasons you mentioned. It will be the best that could possibly be done for that guitar I am sure!!
Completely agree with this. Let the PTC do it, you won't be disappointed.

It is ALWAYS better to have PRS do these types of things instead of taking it somewhere else. They know their guitars and will do a great job on it. You never really know what you are going to get from taking it somewhere else and the results could be horrible and you will have to pay to get it done again or for a complete re-fret. It may cost a bit more to have PRS do it but they are the right people to do it correct.

I'll be somewhat contrary. That's a very hefty price for just a level. They are of course the most qualified people in the world to work on a PRS, though.

But $300 is almost refret territory. For another $85 I'd have my guy do a refret with stainless.

But if you don't have somebody who you KNOW FOR A FACT will do a great job, that high price from PRS is like paying for insurance.

The $300 quote is a set price you can view within the PRS website support pages. Typically, anything above a standard bench fee of $150 may include fretwork or leveling. The next tier is $500, which includes a refret and bone nut.

Please recall that the prices quoted are for non-warranty work, meaning if you are not the original owner, you would need non-warranty work done.

Here is PRS support price sheet:

https://prsguitars.com/ptc

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don’t honestly have a clue what that service would cost here, but a plumber is over $100 an hour last time I looked.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don’t honestly have a clue what that service would cost here, but a plumber is over $100 an hour last time I looked.
Everyone has a viewpoint, and to some $150 seems reasonable. There are many of us who would prefer to let their own luthiers or guitar techs handle certain repairs, which might essentially cost less than PTC. The possible difference with your guy and PTC is, PTC can determine whether your repair is under warranty or not, which might help reduce your repair cost considerably.

Case in point, I took a chance sending my guitar back to PTC for an electronics repair which could have been handled by a local tech. The chance is the hope that the work will be covered under warranty, and less costly than my local tech.

If yes, I will be thankful to PTC for helping me out when it was my error originally. Otherwise, the cost of the repair will be a lesson to not mess under the hood unless I were qualified to do the work, which I wasn't. From now on, I'll keep my repairs solely to string changes and intonations. anything above my pay scale, I'll let a qualified tech handle.

Back