Selling my hollowbody :(

Mole351

Love the guitar - but alas it's just too light...or neck heavy when playing with a strap (which I always do). Dives on me and the way I pick I need it to stay angled up on the strap. Dream guitar otherwise. Shame.

Not sure if I should look for an HB with more weight/substance (thinking used Artinger) or maybe go the semi hollow route (yes I realize the HB is really semi hollow). Mostly playing rock - jamband type music.

But now thinking hard about DGT. Funny - I'm all over the place. Want a 594 one day, CU24 another...and on and on. I think they'd all get me where I want to be - just in different ways.

When I hear "dream guitar" I think of ways to keep it. So unless you are set on moving on (like some divorcers are just set on getting divorced), let's talk about some things that can be done.

First, have you tried a wider leather strap? Nylon will make the dive worse. A good leather strap usually stops neck dive.

Next, my Mira is super light and has some neck dive. I don't like putting weights on the strap (which you could do if it doesn't bug you), so I put the weight inside the control cavity. I got some lead weights from a hobby store that are used to make pinewood derby cars. They are small and they have sticky stuff on the back. I put about 6 ounces along the sides of the control cavity and it worked great. Since yours is hollow, there are lots of places you can put the weights. Inside the battery compartment, in the F holes but where they will not be seen. I think it would be a pretty easy solution to add weight to the back of the body.

In addition to a leather strap, I suggestion a coil cable. The extra cable weight dragging on the strap can help balance a neck heavy guitar.

330072000002094-00-500x500.jpg

Tie a helium balloon to one of the tuning machines; or

Hook one end of a bungee cord to your shoelace, and hook the other end to an F-role; or

Sew some loop Velcro onto a vest, and attach hook Velcro to the back of the guitar. You won't even need a strap!

You're welcome. :)

The helium balloon would not only be festive, you might get gigs at birthday parties. Be sure to wear a party hat.

What about those strap ties that go behind the nut on acoustic guitars. One part wraps around the neck behind the nut. The other loops through the strap button hole. The two buckle together o extend the strap to near the nut. Neck cant dive no more.

yea, @Mole351 you just need a leather/suede backed strap. I don't bother with nylon ones, and the couch straps I have help a little with the dive on my HBii. The PRS leather strap with birds is gippy enough that I don't notice dive at all. I have a couple Levy's ones with the 'raw' back and there's no dive at all.

If you love the guitar, there are tons of options before divorce.

edit: your new DGT is not reason to get rid of the HB. I'm living proof that those two guitars are great stable mates.

Going to try all of these suggestions - but like LSchefman's the best - lol. Especially the balloon.

yeah, plus you could do festive things with the balloons, like have one with your band name, or the venue name, or pics of naked woman, or pics of the band naked, etc.

yea, @Mole351 you just need a leather/suede backed strap. I don't bother with nylon ones, and the couch straps I have help a little with the dive on my HBii. The PRS leather strap with birds is gippy enough that I don't notice dive at all. I have a couple Levy's ones with the 'raw' back and there's no dive at all.

If you love the guitar, there are tons of options before divorce.

edit: your new DGT is not reason to get rid of the HB. I'm living proof that those two guitars are great stable mates.

THIS. I have had an issue with Tele-shaped guitars neck-diving, and a suede backed strap solved the issue.

I think Artingers are more hollow. How long have you had the HBII? I use a nylon planet waves strap and my HBII still stays right where it should. But some people can't get used to the feel I guess?

yea, @Mole351

While I would love nothing more (assuming I really dig the DGT) - it will be tough to do financially. Would need to unload all of my other guitars (strat, ce24, and LP studio faded) to justify the incremental spend for the DGT. Would consider it but if I gig out don't know that I'd want these to be my main and backup.

I think Artingers are more hollow. How long have you had the HBII? I use a nylon planet waves strap and my HBII still stays right where it should. But some people can't get used to the feel I guess?

They weigh more though in general - have to believe most of that weight is in the body? Pretty sure I'll be able to make it work with a new strap though.

I recently acquired a new '04 HBii and love it. Do notice the neck dive, though. I have two 4" italia leather straps and they do the trick. They are well worth the cost, usually 2 for $100.

Another suggestion - Play sitting down :D

All kidding aside, there are some good suggestions to try out in this thread, especially if you like everything else about the guitar.

Not sure if you are familiar with Derek Trucks or his model SG, but he used to have the brackett for a Bigsby on his SG to help balance out it. Might think about something like that.
SGDTVECH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Back