Seated playing position question with SC 58/new SC 245 vs. Gibson Les Paul

Tiger1016

I wanted to see if anyone could help answer a question regarding how the right arm angle/right hand playing position while sitting with the SC 58/new SC245 compares with the two piece bridge vs. an actual Gibson LP vs. other PRS double cutaway/custom models. The thought is these two options are as close to a LP clone as you can get with a PRS, and the LP is uniquely more comfortable for me when sitting (see more below).

I just recently picked up my first Gibson LP with the primary reason initially being the allure of the min-etune/Tronical robot tuner system. I have also always liked the beefy/fat/warm tones of LPs, but I was generally happy enough with my custom 22 and 24 to not feel enough of a need to pick something else up until now (also, I am absolutely obsessed with the looks of PRSs). After having the LP at home for a couple of weeks I have noticed a couple of unexpected yet very pleasant differences when playing the Gibson.

Over the past year I have started to get some notable pains in my right shoulder when playing while sitting. Also, my CU22 and CU24 have a tendency to want to slide down my thigh at times. With the Gibson though there is no shoulder pain at all or any sliding issues. The shoulder pain was stemming from the playing position/angle of my shoulder. An extreme example of what I am talking about is try scratching your right armpit with your right hand. This is quite painful for me because I have bad shoulders from playing baseball all the way through college and probably football/lifting back in the day as well. Well playing my PRSs sitting down (which is how I usually do it at home) puts me close enough to this pain range and I start to feel it fairly quickly.

Surprisingly I am having a totally different experience with the LP. From what I could gather, the reasons for this lack of pain is the thicker body of the LP and two piece bridge which seems to raise the strings higher off the middle of the body. Both of the things combined help to effectively move the playing position of my picking hand further away from my torso, thus reducing the sharper shoulder angle compared to playing my PRSs. Also, with the LP, I think that the playing position is also relatively lower/closer to my leg and possibly closer to the center of my body as opposed to further to the right, which additionally helps my situation.

The question is does anyone know whether the SC 58/new SC245 with the two piece bridge and the thicker bodies can get me to a very similar arm angle position as an LP does when sitting? If it is likely going to be a big enough move in the right direction, I will immediately start looking into trading my CU24 for a used SC58.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I cant help you. I have the complete opposite results. For the life of me, I can not get comfortable with a Les paul when sitting down. My CU 22s are prefect, as is my Gibson Johnny Smith. I am pretty sure its the 25" scale length that is just perfect for me. 335s, LPs and other short scale guitars just feel awkward to my hand positions when sitting. Standing, no problem at all. :dontknow: Strats and Tele also feel very comfortable, but the 25" scale for me is just perfect. :)

I've played Les Pauls for decades and never liked playing it sitting down and would use a high stool during practice or recording that let me use a strap.

I have both a Gibson Les Paul and a Stripped 58 and play 90% sitting down. I also have had both rotator cuffs operated on 2 years ago. I experience no shoulder pain from playing both and I play at least 1-2 hours a day. Not to insult your intelligence but the Stripped 58 is a SC 58 without all the bling. No pain playing my 408 either. Good luck.

I don't have have any problems with most singlecuts, but I had a grosh set neck singlecut that gave me all kinds of discomfort while playing despite the similar ergonomics on the surface. Weird stuff, but it happens.

Back