Searching for a PRS Singlecut Neck similiar/close to the Pattern Regular

Reynewan

Good Evening,

i have a couple PRS Guitars and I´ve found out for myself, that the neck which fits mostly for me is the Pattern Regular. I love it absolutely compared to the wide fat Neck and the Pattern thin Neck in my other Guitars.

It´s like the Pattern Regular would habe been made for my stupid Hands..
I´ve read several Threads here but I´m still not getting the right clue..

Are there any advisable PRS-Necks close/similiar to the Pattern Regular? Especially on Singlecut Guitars.
I know that most of them have a Wide Fat Neck.
Thanks for any hints..

Anything recent will be Pattern Regular. Wide/Fat, Regular and Wide/Thin were replace several years ago with Pattern Regular, Pattern and Pattern Thin.

Good Evening,

i have a couple PRS Guitars and I´ve found out for myself, that the neck which fits mostly for me is the Pattern Regular. I love it absolutely compared to the wide fat Neck and the Pattern thin Neck in my other Guitars.

It´s like the Pattern Regular would habe been made for my stupid Hands..
I´ve read several Threads here but I´m still not getting the right clue..

Are there any advisable PRS-Necks close/similiar to the Pattern Regular? Especially on Singlecut Guitars.
I know that most of them have a Wide Fat Neck.
Thanks for any hints..

prs-mccarty-singlecut-594_8.jpg

As you can see, they all have similar characteristics

Width at the body is identical and all have the same width at the nut except the Pattern Regular which is just 1/32" narrower (the others are 1-22/32" or as they put it here 1-11/16"). Pattern and Pattern Regular are very close - but the Pattern is just 0.8mm wider - essentially 0.4mm on either side. How this compares to the old style of necks I don't know but having all these necks on my guitars, I don't really notice any difference between the Pattern and Pattern Regular. That 0.4mm is only at the nut so must reduce as at the body, there is no difference in width. I notice the Thinner neck and Vintage Carve but if no-one told me that Pattern and Pattern Regular were different, I would not of noticed...

They’ll certainly put a Pattern Regular on a Private Stock Singlecut.

In my hand, both of my Pattern Vintage 594 necks feel subjectively closer to the vibe I get with my Pattern Regular CU24 than the Pattern necks on my other PRSes. Possibly this has something to do with the asymmetrical carve on the Pattern Vintage neck.

I realize the measurements are different, of course, but they all fit my hand nicely.

It is amazing how a very small difference is detected by your hands straight away, mm difference and you know it is not right...
I've thought about this a lot

Consider 3 or 4 F necks will have the same measurements but, different profiles. C D U V whatever

It is amazing how a very small difference is detected by your hands straight away, mm difference and you know it is not right...

I totally agree. However when I switch between my 509 (Pattern Regular) and Hollowbody ii (Pattern) I personally don't really notice the 0.8mm difference in the width at the nut. As both have the same width at the body, that must mean as you move from nut to the bridge, the difference in the width must reduce - the 0.8mm becomes less as move closer to the body.

When you look at how 'small' 1mm is, 0.8mm difference, essentially less than half a mm on both the top and bottom side, I don't really notice myself. Moving between them, I am not feeling that one feels 'wide' or more that the Pattern Regular feels 'narrow' as the Pattern, Pattern Vintage and Pattern thin all share the same width at the nut. Swapping to my Custom 24 or my 594 feels more of difference, despite them all having the same width, than swapping between my 509 and HBii. Maybe I am more sensitive to the thickness of a neck - the major difference that Pattern Thin and Pattern Vintage have as opposed to the very small difference of the width at the nut - especially as that 'difference' in width reduces as all PRS guitars have the same width at the body.

Its not surprising to me that back of the neck, the shape of the carve and the thickness of the neck has a bigger impact than a 'tiny' difference in the width. The carve and thickness are far more noticeable to me - the carve is felt between your thumb and finger, how it feels as you move up and down the back of the neck and the thickness has more of an impact for getting my thumb over and still use my fingers properly. Width can gave an impact - but less than a mm has little/no impact to me. If the neck was 4mm or more, I am sure I would notice but I don't feel a significant difference.

If you form a 'C' with your thumb and fingers, the carve and thickness has much more of an impact as that is more noticeable in the fleshy bit in the 'curve' of the C, much more than the tiny difference in the distance between the thumb and finger - at least for me. Of course width can have an impact - going from my PRS to my acoustic (or vice versa) is very noticeable but less than 1mm doesn't have any significant difference to me.

I don't know how 'wide' the older necks were to be able to compare. All my PRS guitars have been using the 'Pattern' nomenclature for describing the neck carve. The biggest and chunkiest neck is the Pattern Vintage but that has the same width as the Pattern and Pattern Thin. It doesn't feel particularly chunky - more like its been 'broken' in but to me it does feel 'different' as does the Pattern Thin but neither of these feel totally different, not so different that moving between them - even going from Vintage to Thin which is the biggest difference - affects my playing. At most, its more like a momentary 'this feels a bit different' but quickly becomes normal.

Maybe that's just me. I know some players can take a while to adjust between guitars - I probably would too if I was used to playing an Ibanez Wizard neck for years and then picked up a Les Paul. Maybe because I am used to swapping around these that it all feels comfortable, that they all feel very familiar...

I feel comfortable going between my various PRS carves as well. That’s not to say I can’t tell the difference, but I like the unique vibe and feel each one has.

I say ‘unique’ because they’re all hand-sanded, and even the same carves can feel just a little bit different from guitar to guitar. I don’t think that’s a bad thing; the hand work helps give every one a personality of its own.

prs-mccarty-singlecut-594_8.jpg

As you can see, they all have similar characteristics

Width at the body is identical and all have the same width at the nut except the Pattern Regular which is just 1/32" narrower (the others are 1-22/32" or as they put it here 1-11/16"). Pattern and Pattern Regular are very close - but the Pattern is just 0.8mm wider - essentially 0.4mm on either side. How this compares to the old style of necks I don't know but having all these necks on my guitars, I don't really notice any difference between the Pattern and Pattern Regular. That 0.4mm is only at the nut so must reduce as at the body, there is no difference in width. I notice the Thinner neck and Vintage Carve but if no-one told me that Pattern and Pattern Regular were different, I would not of noticed...

I don’t disagree with you. I just like to point out that there is a small typo in this picture with neck profile specs regarding the Pattern’s depth at the nut. The depths I have are
DfdlJmr.jpg

Which is a screenshot from the PRS support page https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles

According to this the Pattern is 28/32” deep at the nut, whereas the Pattern Regular is 27/32”. These figures are also consistent with the figures you find in the product page of guitars with pattern necks. Here’s a screen shot from the McCarty page.
16ExVuI.jpg

I know the image you shared comes from a reliable and official source so it could be a typo in the spec pages. If anyone knows with certainty which of the two sources is correct, please chime in.

@pauloqs As they are cut to a basic shape by CNC and as @LSchefman says, they are hand sanded, hand finished to ensure the CNC cut marks are removed, they could vary by fractions of a mm. I know the neck joint is cut oversize and then hand sanded to ensure a 'tight' fit and the perfect neck angle. It takes several weeks to make just 1 neck, small work to ensure that the neck is stable and potentially reshaped a bit as the wood settles.

Therefore, the necks must have small variation but also be within a certain tolerance - whether that tolerance is +/- 1/32" or maybe even +/- 0.5mm, I don't know but they can't ALL be exactly the same right down to 0.01mm (or less) after all the hand finishing and settling of the neck over the weeks it takes to get a Neck ready to be married with its Body.

All I can say is that in my experience, with my guitars, I don't really notice a significant difference between my 509 (Pattern Regular) and HBii (Pattern). I do notice more of a difference going from my either of these to my Custom 24 or 594. The biggest difference is my Cu24 to my 594 (and vice versa). The neck difference between my 509 and HBii could be larger than I actually think because there are a lot more significant differences between these two than the neck shape - weight, PU configuration - having that middle PU does make a difference when strumming or picking the guitar. There is also the difference in Scale length - albeit just 0.25" - but also the String gauge - 10's on the 509 and 11's with a wound 3rd/G string, There is also the difference that having a single, fixed bridge compared to the Tremolo bridge on the 509. I could continue but I am sure you get the point that there are far more significant differences than the slight differences in the neck have. When I swap between these two guitars, the other differences are far more pronounced that I am much more aware of than the differences in the neck.

In other words, when I switch between these two guitars, the major differences stand out far and above any small difference in the necks. When there is a more pronounced difference in necks - especially if you are made more aware of those differences - the 'Thin' or 'Vintage' with Asymmetrical carve for example - then those become a 'standout' feature. Maybe if I had more Pattern and Pattern Regular guitars, especially if they don't have too many differences else where, then maybe I would be more aware of the necks. The 'perfect' example would be having a few Custom 22/24's with Pattern Regular and some other solid, twin humbucking, Pattern neck shaped PRS guitars - so the only 'difference' is just the necks. However as I only have 1 example of each neck shape, and there are some really big and much more pronounced differences between my Pattern and Pattern Regular guitar, I am certainly not aware of any 'slight' difference in the 'neck' - not compared to the string gauge and scale length that my left hand, the hand on the back of the neck, notices.

I can also only speak for myself based purely on my guitar collection and my perception. Another person may well find the difference in the neck between my 509 and my HBii too be more noticeable to them but to me, I really don't notice. The differences are still small - less than 1mm and I bet they have a very similar shape too. I also don't tend to be fretting at the nut and/or keeping my hand wrapped around that one area but in playing they don't feel different enough to register with me.

@pauloqs As they are cut to a basic shape by CNC and as @LSchefman says, they are hand sanded, hand finished to ensure the CNC cut marks are removed, they could vary by fractions of a mm. I know the neck joint is cut oversize and then hand sanded to ensure a 'tight' fit and the perfect neck angle. It takes several weeks to make just 1 neck, small work to ensure that the neck is stable and potentially reshaped a bit as the wood settles.

Therefore, the necks must have small variation but also be within a certain tolerance - whether that tolerance is +/- 1/32" or maybe even +/- 0.5mm, I don't know but they can't ALL be exactly the same right down to 0.01mm (or less) after all the hand finishing and settling of the neck over the weeks it takes to get a Neck ready to be married with its Body.

All I can say is that in my experience, with my guitars, I don't really notice a significant difference between my 509 (Pattern Regular) and HBii (Pattern). I do notice more of a difference going from my either of these to my Custom 24 or 594. The biggest difference is my Cu24 to my 594 (and vice versa). The neck difference between my 509 and HBii could be larger than I actually think because there are a lot more significant differences between these two than the neck shape - weight, PU configuration - having that middle PU does make a difference when strumming or picking the guitar. There is also the difference in Scale length - albeit just 0.25" - but also the String gauge - 10's on the 509 and 11's with a wound 3rd/G string, There is also the difference that having a single, fixed bridge compared to the Tremolo bridge on the 509. I could continue but I am sure you get the point that there are far more significant differences than the slight differences in the neck have. When I swap between these two guitars, the other differences are far more pronounced that I am much more aware of than the differences in the neck.

In other words, when I switch between these two guitars, the major differences stand out far and above any small difference in the necks. When there is a more pronounced difference in necks - especially if you are made more aware of those differences - the 'Thin' or 'Vintage' with Asymmetrical carve for example - then those become a 'standout' feature. Maybe if I had more Pattern and Pattern Regular guitars, especially if they don't have too many differences else where, then maybe I would be more aware of the necks. The 'perfect' example would be having a few Custom 22/24's with Pattern Regular and some other solid, twin humbucking, Pattern neck shaped PRS guitars - so the only 'difference' is just the necks. However as I only have 1 example of each neck shape, and there are some really big and much more pronounced differences between my Pattern and Pattern Regular guitar, I am certainly not aware of any 'slight' difference in the 'neck' - not compared to the string gauge and scale length that my left hand, the hand on the back of the neck, notices.

I can also only speak for myself based purely on my guitar collection and my perception. Another person may well find the difference in the neck between my 509 and my HBii too be more noticeable to them but to me, I really don't notice. The differences are still small - less than 1mm and I bet they have a very similar shape too. I also don't tend to be fretting at the nut and/or keeping my hand wrapped around that one area but in playing they don't feel different enough to register with me.

I agree. I believe that even if the neck was completely automated, there would be still variation, just with a much smaller variance. I’ve heard Paul say that when they switched to the Pattern system they also reduced the variance, which he expressed as improved consistency. However, even if the margin of error is big enough that a Pattern and a Pattern regular have the same depth, meaning the confidence interval intersect, their center could be located different. Simply put, the depth of a Pattern is 28/32” plus or minus some small variation due to natural randomness, whereas the Pattern Regular is 27/32” plus minus small variation. Or in other words, the the average Pattern neck has a depth of 28/32”. Also, the difference between the two is 1/32”, which is also the difference between the Pattern Regular and Pattern Thin. The Pattern Regular and Pattern Thin also feel significantly different. You can still move comfortably across those carves, but the differences are not negligible and are indeed noticible.

I notice a huge difference between the Pattern and Pattern Regular and I much prefer the Pattern. I do NOT attribute the difference to the depth of the neck, but to its geometry. Specifically how it tapers towards the edges and where the back of the neck turns to meet the edge of the fretboard. The Pattern Regular is a joy to play, the perfect balance, not too chunky but not too slim either. It’s the Goldilocks neck, just right. However, the Pattern just feel even better to me.

Pattern = old Wide/Fat
Pattern Regular = old Regular

If Pattern Regular is your jam, pickup an S2. They all have that neck profile. You won't find it on any Core or SE Singlecut.

Well, actually I´ve had an Cherry Red S2 Singlecut and I didn´t feel too well with the neck..:confused: It seemed more thicker/fuller than my Mc Carty Neck.
The only Pattern Regular Neck I personally know and which felt and still feels so good, properly and so comfortable is the Pattern Regular from my Core Line Mc Carty.
Here is the Original Link to exact that Guitar.

https://www.promusictools.com/prs-usa-custom-24-10-top-mt-mccarty-burst.html

I am still a little bit confused, but thanks to everyone for your hints/replies.

^ Just a thought, but could it be the finish? I love S2's and I think they are fantastic guitars that punch way above its weight. You get core level quality, imo. However, there is something about the finish that feels just a bit different to me . I don't know if they use a different type of finish or it's the same just ever so slightly thicker to speed up the process. Could also be a placebo effect when I play an S2 and Core back to back. Personally, I prefer nitro to the finish on the core and S2's, however, the finish on the Core line is so good I don't miss the nitro, if that makes sense. One of my core guitars have a "satin" neck which is so ridiculously addicting that I fear traveling with it, for I'd possibly risk of being stopped by the TSA for transporting recreational drugs.

I discovered a PRS 1990 video on YouTube and in it PRS said the wide thin neck is copied from an ES-335. That's interesting, because I love the wide thin on both my standard 24 and the thin neck of my Ibby am-53 (an archtop). On the other hand (sic) I find the wide fat too fat. I wonder what the wide fat was modelled on.

Back