SE Pickups vs their counterparts

Jay Xander B

G.A.S Victim
Easy enough =),
I know the basic differences like cheaper parts etc, but how about the sound? with that being said for example would it be worth swapping the SE HFS + Vintage Bass pickups in my Tim Mahoney for the PRS versions or is the difference not that noticable?

Million dollar question...

You're likely to hear a difference but whether that equates to being 'better' is highly subjective. Your experience of the final sound is going to be different from somebody elses.

If you really like the pups you have in there now then you may as well keep them. If you feel something is lacking then experiment with heights or other settings and then look into swapping them. Sometimes you won't truly know until you've put the new pups in there even if they seem like the perfect pup on paper.

No probs... It doesn't really help you much, but that cna be part of the problem. Sometimes you don't really know until you try.

I got some BKP Mules for my Bernie. Loved the demos I heard. Looked right on paper. Not right (Bridge pup) once I had them installed.

Easy enough =),
I know the basic differences like cheaper parts etc, but how about the sound? with that being said for example would it be worth swapping the SE HFS + Vintage Bass pickups in my Tim Mahoney for the PRS versions or is the difference not that noticable?

I've done it. I have a SE Cu24 with the Korean HFS/Vintage, and since I had an extra set, I put the USA versions in. The SE versiona are really good. I estimate that they are about 80% of the USA versiona. I can hear a difference but it isn't all that big a difference. It is debatable if the improvement is worth the cost of the USA pups.

Yeah that all makes sense cheers guys! BTW Tim Mahoney SE - Loving it! when i get my cam working properly will get some pics!

Back