SE Mods

Lynnj would you be kind enough and let us know about the head stock overlay? Is it vinyl or something else, where did you get it, etc. :dontknow:

Hey Corsa2, it's vinyl. I have a small sign shop I do some side work with. Used some matte black vinyl, plotted and cut the headstock shape. Then plotted out the signature and cut it from gold chrome vinyl. Applied it over the existing finish on the headstock so it leaves the guitar completely stock and can be removed with no damage whatsoever.

Hoping to get a semi-hollow SC soon and the ZM looks like a great guitar for the price. Maybe PRS will offer more color choices in the future.
Or I'll just spring for an S2 :)

12360049_10153332118808014_6851233715164545842_n.jpg

:p

not a big fan of the orange buttons on the gold guitar, so i bought 2 pair of chrome buttons. looks neat IMO

DSCF01102_zpsdoclj9qj.jpg

Guys, has anyone tried to install USA lampshade knobs on the stock SE Alpha pots? :dontknow:

yeah works fine, may need to use a large screw driver in the pot slot to gently make it a little wider for interference fit, that's all

I must say though, after having tried them, I do prefer the CTS pots. Think core use Bournes?

Guys, has anyone tried to install USA lampshade knobs on the stock SE Alpha pots? :dontknow:

Yeah - did it just to try it before I swapped the pots on my 7-string. I didn't have to do anything to them.

Well opinions differentiate on that matter. Others say CTS builds the US potensiometers, others say Bournes. Although i am happy with Alpha i would go with Bournes for the sake of smooth turning! CTS feel kinda crap IMO. I got them on my LP as an upgrade but it didn't really feel as one.

I`m the opposite. I`ve put CTS in 6 SE`s, all with great success. I had trouble with the Bournes I tried, and several sellers have had 550K pots for sale. They work well for me.

The Alphas in my Bernie had a really nice, smooth feel when turning. The CTS ones feel like crap. 2nd set of them too! They are BK 550k ones and have a good taper so they're staying. Just wish they had the feel of the Alphas.

Do any of you guys know of any vintage style tuners (like on the SE Bernie) that would fit the existing holes for the normal SE tuners? I've got an SE 245 that I want to switch to preferably locking tuners with vintage style tuning keys.

Consider Hipshot locking tuners with the UMP mounting kit. They`re on every SE I own, and you can get lots of different knobs from hipshot. And they`re made in the USA.

I used these (google them) - and they go in the existing holes, no worries: Gotoh Locking 3 per side Vintage Tuners - Nickel

(and just for sake of accuracy about my earlier reply on pots) I got my pots from charlesguitars in UK, and both volumes are RS Guitarworks superpots 500k, with the tone being a CTS premium 500k

http://www.charlesguitars.co.uk/par...olume-pots/rs-guitarworks-500k-superpot-short

http://www.charlesguitars.co.uk/manufacturers/cts/cts-premium-500k-split-shaft-pot-9-tolerance

Mine is grey/black, the one pictured in my avatar. I love this guitar it's so comfortable to play. I've already upgraded the tuners and the pickups. I think next will be a core nut and the Mannmade SE bridge upgrade package.

The One finally got my undivided attention today. I've been collecting up a couple of upgrades that I've been anxious to install and the holiday down-time is perfect! Fire up the soldering iron and the gumption to drill on a perfectly good guitar.

First up is the Gibson mini humbucker install. It's from my '79 Deluxe and hasn't been in at guitar since 1981, so it's been sitting in my parts case for a long time. Had to drill two relief holes for the mounting screws and two pilot holes for the mounting plate (thank you CRGTR for hooking me up with e right parts. B) ), but that went in pretty painlessly.

Next is the USA fixed bridge (thx Helmi for hookin' a brutha up!) which went in flawlessly.

Play testing is next, so this report will be continued...
semods1.jpg

semods2.jpg

semods3.jpg

These are in addition to the V-Treb+capacitor and winged tuners upgrades done earlier this year.
...and the final results...
semods4.jpg

Back