SE custom 24

Shadifg

Hey, i have a Se custom 24 and am having some trouble getting the right tone from it.. every thing is great if am playing with a clean effect..but then once i switch to a really distorted effect i just can't seem to find a good tone .. bridge pick-ups r too bright and (muffy)(am not sure it's the right word for it) and the neck pick up ..well it's good for solos but no so for rhythm/chords .. wht can i do ?? am using a Zoom g3x multieffect and i just can't get one single solo or rhythm effect right ... i'll b greatfull for any kind of hint thnx :D

Hey, i have a Se custom 24 and am having some trouble getting the right tone from it.. every thing is great if am playing with a clean effect..but then once i switch to a really distorted effect i just can't seem to find a good tone .. bridge pick-ups r too bright and (muffy)(am not sure it's the right word for it) and the neck pick up ..well it's good for solos but no so for rhythm/chords .. wht can i do ?? am using a Zoom g3x multieffect and i just can't get one single solo or rhythm effect right ... i'll b greatfull for any kind of hint thnx :D

hard to answer with the amount of information you have here. Are you running the g3x through the clean channel or through a dirty channel? Do you have a different guitar you are used to and you are trying to run the same set up usng this SE? If you are only getting muddy tone you may try to lower the pups. They should clear up some and the high gain should be better. You might just turn down the gain (either on the amp or the volume on the guitar) to see if you get a tone you like.

I had an ibanez rga42(active pickups) and i used to get real good sounds from it Distortion wise... now the only guitar to compare the Prs with is a Jakson rr wich is just "metal" if u know wht i mean.. and it's just incomparable.
Am running the g3x through a clean channel and am pretty good on manipulating effects and getting what i want from the G3x but with distortion it's just not happening.. Maybe I am gonna lower the pups as u said..
thnx a lot

Since your previous guitar is so different than this SE24, start over...completely. Zero-out the the tone controls and dial in the amp specifically for this guitar. With hotter pups comes more bass flub, so starting over will help you find your sound with this combination. Steve Lukather always called effects "grease", which made sense to me. Apply after you get the right tone from your amp, then work on the embellishment.

That's what i did anyway... I had a zoom G3 and i bought a G3x and i didn't keep any old effect anyway..

Maybe change the pups? i loved my se custom 24 as stock, but after a couple of years decided to upgarde the pickups as even though they packed a punch they were kinda muffled- i know have Bareknuckle pickups in it-its an even more awesome gtr now!

Back