SE Custom 24- buzzing interference...Help

Jon van derlim

Hi all, after nearly a year of trouble free playing, my SE Custom 24 has all of a sudden developed a buzzing interference, its worse when the pups are in tapped / split mode and lessens when I touch the bridge or strings so I assume its a grounding issue, upon inspection of the pot cavity I notice a wire looks to have made a bid for freedom however I cant be sure as I haven't had the cover off before.

photo_zpsa6a43fd1.jpg

can any of you indicate to me if this looks to be the issue (looks like the wire has come off the tone / coil split pot), are there wiring diagrams available for the C24 SE's as I am a dab hand with a soldering iron and have no issues making good if needed?

thanks in advance.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Looks like you do have a grounding problem there, that stray wire needs to be soldered back to the pot casing.

Hi Andy thanks for your response, that's what I thought, but before re soldering it I wanted to be sure it goes on to that pot casing, or is it a common ground so makes no difference what pot casing it goes on?

Hi Andy thanks for your response, that's what I thought, but before re soldering it I wanted to be sure it goes on to that pot casing, or is it a common ground so makes no difference what pot casing it goes on?

I can't say for sure without looking first hand, or at least a wider angle shot. But that's ok - just take a look and trace where the other end of that wire goes to. My guess is that the other end will connect to the casing of the other pot, if so, I think loose end in question should go to the pot it's next to in the pic. If you have a soldering iron, give it a shot, worst case scenario it's not the right spot and you disconnect it and try again!

Back