SE Custom 24 2016 vs 2017

Sfoster92

Hey guys,

New to the forums here so sorry if this has already been discussed. Looking for a new guitar and tried out the 2016 SE custom 24 today and loved it. Thought it sounded good and had great playability. Also found it had great tuning stability as well even after a few dive bombs which is a big plus for me.

Anyway, I can currently get the 2016 model but don't know whether to get the 2017 model. So anyone has played both is the 2017 model worth the extra money or should I save myself some money and get the 2016?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the main differences will be the pickups and the logo on the headstock. If you like those on the 2016, you can save yourself some money. I agree though, if you can you should probably try both just to be sure you get what you like best.

Thanks guys. I am going to try out the 2017 when I get chance. I just wanted others opinions to balance against my own.

I haven't tried a 2017 yet, but I do like the look of the new logo and the new pickups do interest me. :)

I haven't tried a 2017 yet, but I do like the look of the new logo and the new pickups do interest me. :)

The pups in the "older" model are excellent for the money and really balanced in tone. I know that the '17 has redesigned pups. From what I have heard, I doubt it's a huge difference. I believe there is also a slightly different bridge in the 2017. It looks the same to me cosmetically. Again, I'm not sure it's much of a change but we'll have to wait for the actual reviews.

I'm kind of new to PRS SE range so anyone feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong.

Decide whether you want a signature on the headstock or an extra 150 dollars. You'll also get a chance to pick from any color you want, if you buy the brand new 2017. Personally, I prefer some of the colors that aren't offered in the 2017 custom 24; like cherry burst, vintage burst, amber/yellow, and orange. That could be a pro for staying in the 2016 and older years.

If you're new to PRS SE there is one more thing you should look for. Occasionally, you will see a higher quality veneer in the SE range. Even in the video PRS made comparing the 2017 SE 22 fret and 24 fret customs, the veneer top on one of the guitars is much more vivid. It's kind of luck of the draw if you buy online. If you can shop in person, definitely do it. Or buy a used 2016-2014 online and you can see the actual pictures for yourself. If you buy used you can also get a shot at some unusual limited runs, like SE's with spalted maple tops or bound fretboards.

Cheers!

The 2016 30th Anniversary SE 24`s are great. I have one and gig it all the time. The tops are beautiful, especially if you like quilt, which is more rare than flamed maple. The biggest question is always the sound, to me.

The 2016 30th Anniversary SE 24`s are great. I have one and gig it all the time. The tops are beautiful, especially if you like quilt, which is more rare than flamed maple. The biggest question is always the sound, to me.

I have the 30th quilt in vintage burst and I totally agree. Not a big fan of the 30th anniversary birds, however.

I posted pictures of my 30th anniversary SE a couple weeks ago here:

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-crazy-quilt-on-se-custom-24.20085/

Yeah, the PRS trem is a thing of wonder, it's nice to meet someone who appreciates it before joining the forum. Welcome!

As to answer your question, you should get the 2017 -- I am curious about the new pickups, and that way you can answer the question for me without me having to spend any money. :p

I have the 30th quilt in vintage burst and I totally agree. Not a big fan of the 30th anniversary birds, however.

Interesting.The birds are part of the reason I pulled the trigger. I liked them so much that I bought an Alex Lifeson SE.

I watched a review video on the 2017's (Anderton's on YouTube) and thought the new pickups sounded awesome, definitely different than my 2014 SE. But I'm also in love with the new CE's sound and plan to order one in early December after the 2017's are out.

BTW speaking of headstocks, my 2014's doesn't even say PRS on it. It just says SE. To see "PRS" you have to see the fine print on the back.

I watched a review video on the 2017's (Anderton's on YouTube) and thought the new pickups sounded awesome, definitely different than my 2014 SE. But I'm also in love with the new CE's sound and plan to order one in early December after the 2017's are out.

BTW speaking of headstocks, my 2014's doesn't even say PRS on it. It just says SE. To see "PRS" you have to see the fine print on the back.

Yeah I watched that video. The guys at Andertons are great. I didn't think it was a substantial difference.

Curious what you think of this one, then... now, this is the CE 24, NOT the SE...

But if you skip up to 7:00, you can hear him play through the various pickup settings. When I heard this I was blown away compared to how my SE sounds... in which all of the six settings sound pretty much the same, except they get progressively brighter.

So you're hearing that the new pickups are a little brighter in general, or that they have more range, thus, can achieve the same lows but with better highs?

Not sure how to explain it, but in humbucker mode, they all just sound very clear, going from dark to bright. Then when he splits the coils, they really sound snappy. My SE doesn't sound like that at all. It just gets brighter.

I thought the new SE pickups sounded in between my SE and the CE in terms of tonal quality. I think part of why the CE sounds so good is the maple neck and bolt-on design.

Not sure how to explain it, but in humbucker mode, they all just sound very clear, going from dark to bright. Then when he splits the coils, they really sound snappy. My SE doesn't sound like that at all. It just gets brighter.

I thought the new SE pickups sounded in between my SE and the CE in terms of tonal quality. I think part of why the CE sounds so good is the maple neck and bolt-on design.

I'll have to check that out when I get home. I'm curious now.

SEs Custom 24 necks aren't bolt-on, but they are maple. The pickups could make a big difference though!

Back