SE Bernie and ZM = same league??

xjbebop

Yippy ki yay...
I've seen many posts on here touting the tone & play-ability of the Bernie Marsden, comparing it to much pricier guitars.
I've also seen & heard similar comments about the Zach Meyers.
I'm curious to hear from folks who OWN OR HAVE SPENT TIME WITH BOTH if you think these two SE's are anywhere near equal in their awesomeness....

*if you only have experience with one (or neither..) of these 2 models, your opinion won't answer the question.

**I've owned a ZM for awhile now and have no doubt that it punches above it's weight, so to speak. Just wondering if the Bernie is in a similar league or is a step above...

IMO they are comparable but different. The Bernie is a blues and rock monster. The ZM is a rock and modern rock machine. They do what they do as good as anything, but they aren't exactly the same.

I'll say this. I've played both, and currently own a ZM. I would trade my ZM for a Bernie in a heartbeat. But that just me

I have owned both and I would agree with AP515. The Bernie excels at blues and classic rock. The ZM is born to rock in the now...I like the tone and feel of the Bernie better overall.

I have both, and they are comparable. They have the same pickups from the factory. The ZM is a little deeper/darker sounding and slightly more prone to feedback due to the semi-hollow construction. The Bernie has a nicer neck feel IMHO.

...The Bernie has a nicer neck feel IMHO.
This is where personal preference comes in. The Bernie is fatter than a wide fat (modeled after the beast), and it is great for blues, but the ZM has a satin neck and it's a pleasure to play. For me I'd take the ZM neck over the Bernie because of the satin.

This is an interesting thread, as some may remember I was gassing for a ZM for a bit (still might be)
This is where personal preference comes in. The Bernie is fatter than a wide fat (modeled after the beast), and it is great for blues, but the ZM has a satin neck and it's a pleasure to play. For me I'd take the ZM neck over the Bernie because of the satin.
Dang. Ive been thinking about scotchbriting the neck of my Bernie. You arent helping.

Totally agree with the satin neck, but you can easily do that to any guitar. In fact, I've done it to all my electrics.

Totally agree with the satin neck, but you can easily do that to any guitar. In fact, I've done it to all my electrics.
Yes, but the used market doesn't take kindly to that mod (any mods really). I don't plan on selling the Bernie, but you never know when you may have too.

I have a ZM, added nickel covers to the pickups, dialed them lower and play .011s on it (new nut). I have the ZM sounding like a 335 with a darker, woody vibe. I didn't want a "modern" or rock guitar, I play blues and jazz/jam stuff. I can cop Keb Mo's Sheraton tones with my ZM with ease. Sorry, I'm one of the few that doesn't strive for the PRS rock/metal tones.

I've owned both, and still own the ZM. I love the versatility of the ZM via the tone and volume controls, and can muster pretty much all of the sounds in my head.

Back