SE Angelus Standard or Custom and Pickups

SrgEx951x

I went to samash and tried out both se angelus standard and acoustic and liked them. I plugged the custom into an amp and it sounded glorious but I didnt know if it had the famous piezo pickup. Do all se acoustics have them or are there different types of pickups that the se line uses?And can you plug in an se to any bass/guitar amp or pa and keep the glorious tone?

Anyways, If you were to pick between the standard or the custom, which one would you pick? Given that money isnt a problem

I have the Standard, and I say Standard because the guitars sound almost exactly the same(with some minor differences) with the standard being a bit warmer, and the custom being a bit brighter, and I like Mahogany over Rosewood(I have 2 Rosewood Acoustics already). And yes, both have an SE Piezo, Its not a super-duper L.R. Baggs Piezo, like the PS Acoustics have though. But Ive used it through an amp and direct to the board, and the guitar is fantastic.I also prefer warmth to brightness, but its mostly a looks decision. Very similar tonewise, and neither is bad.

I believe they both have the same pickup system. They are the same guitar except for the back and side woods.

I have the Standard, and I say Standard because the guitars sound almost exactly the same(with some minor differences) with the standard being a bit warmer, and the custom being a bit brighter, and I like Mahogany over Rosewood(I have 2 Rosewood Acoustics already). And yes, both have an SE Piezo, Its not a super-duper L.R. Baggs Piezo, like the PS Acoustics have though. But Ive used it through an amp and direct to the board, and the guitar is fantastic.I also prefer warmth to brightness, but its mostly a looks decision. Very similar tonewise, and neither is bad.

Huh - I had the opposite reaction to the two. I found the standard to be a bit brighter and more cutting in the mids and upper mids than the custom. The custom seemed warmer to me.

I guess that's not going to helpful, is it?

Looks like the only solution is to buy both, then you're covered!

They are the same guitar except for the back and side woods.

Negative Ghost Rider...

Se Angelus Standard has Rosewood freboard and bridge
Se Angelus Custom has Ebony fretboard and bridge

Not sure how much my opinion matters as I don't own an Angelus, but here's my take - I *tend* to prefer mahogany B&S on acoustic guitars. But for some reason, with the Angelus, I prefer the Custom. Maybe it's the ebony board, maybe it's just that the design lends itself more to those woods but it seems to just work. If I were ordering one tomorrow, that's what I'd go for.

I'm a real purist and think that having built-in electronics is only good if it's *primarily* to be used as a live guitar. For recording, without would be my preference. Even for 20/80 live/studio I'd consider an aftermarket pickup. But that's just me, and that's talking about ordering a new one. If one came up second-hand and it was a great price in great condition but it had a pickup, I probably wouldn't turn it down.

Good luck with whatever you buy - and remember, there's no real reason not to get both if it really comes down to it. ;)

Back