Tonare Grand vs Angelus (Core and/or PS Models)

Rosewoodsteel

For those of you who have played or own both the Tonare Grand and Angelus acoustics, what are the biggest differences you see? Is one considerably louder than the other? Perhaps they have different tonal characteristics, given that each model shares the same tone woods. Thanks

I have 2 US Angelus , a Cocobolo /Euro spruce and a Steve Fischer in flamed Mahogany /Euro . Steve was the Luthier who designed them ( now on his own with an expanded line) . Both have cocobolo fb's and peruvian mahogany necks. The Coco has an ebony bridge , the Mahogany a Cococbolo bridge.

Tonally I would liken the cocobolo to a great audophile CD , rich and precise, The mahogany .. A McIntosh tube amp through Klipschorns ..rich and warm yet still clear and shimmery.

I also have a Steve Fischer Tonare Grand custom made for Ricky Skaggs that is ALL pernambuco,(body neck,fb, bridge) with an Addi top, it was made during the early period when Ricky was advising . He ended up with a more traditional model and declined a signature model , deferring it to his sideman Cody Kilby. The smaller neck profile and woods make it a bluegrass dream, very bright, very fast, and very loud.

I own 5 Taylors and hardly touch then ( except thhe 856 12 string) anymore.

My recommendation would be any Steve Fischer model (i.e 2011 or earlier) for the best bang for the buck . They feature the carbon beam neck , rather than truss rod .. I prefer it as I switch open tunings a lot and in the South I don't have to deal with the weather changes.

They are worth it .

My only caveat with them is the solid bridge pins are prone to string rattle if the string is not well seated,it took me a while to get that wired.

The electronics are strong (18v) and simple . Outboard EQ is beneficial. The batteries are at the base of the neck so not as easy to access as Taylors .. but the double 9v's last a good while and it's worth it.

Last edited:
here's one that's out there
rvhim0uwwjadmqrtme2w.jpg
mreyb9x1llwfeugr9ty1.jpg

I’ve played both, and have had my current maple PS Tonare for ten years. Before that I had one of the Fischer era Core Artist Tonares in cocobolo.

The Tonare has a little more bass; the trade off with the Angelus cutaway isn’t bad, however.

Both of mine were equipped with carbon fiber truss rods instead of adjustable. The necks never moved at all, and I prefer the tone over the metal truss rods.

I didn’t experience a bridge pin issue on either of mine.

Back