Scuff the Back of the Neck: Good Idea or Bad?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
I've got a McCarty Narrowfield which has a very glossy finish on the back of the neck to match the high gloss everywhere else on the guitar. But I'm also very spoiled in owning a Brazilian McCarty with a Rosewood neck. Do you see where I'm going with this? I would like the back of the neck on the NF to be just as non-stick as the Braz. So I've heard of a lot of guys using some very fine sandpaper (or steel wool. Ouch, metal splinters) to scuff the back of the neck in order to get a non-stick surface.

Opinions wanted. Is this is good idea or a bad idea? My primary interest is not wanting to do anything to the guitar which will compromise the integrity of the instrument and resale value is not as important.

If resale doesn't matter, have at it! Won't hurt the guitar. I think you have to re-scuff from time to time as the oils from your hands will gloss it back up some. You could also probably send to PTC and have them do a satin finish on the neck?

Honestly won't hurt it at all. A guitar will break down on the back of the neck over years of normal to heavy use so your just speeding up the natural progression

If you're going to do it, I'd suggest using a very fine grade of micromesh sandpaper. And I'd start with the finest grade first, to see how that works. I don't know if the 3M stuff is micromesh, it might be.

You can always go to a paper with more grit, but it's hard to go back.

I've done something similar (not with a PRS) and regretted it. So I'd think it over very carefully!

Back