SC245

Seanalmet

Just acquired my first USA PRS. Yay!! I just got a 2008 SC245, just curious if there are any aftermarket locking tuners that will fit it without drilling? I apologize if this question has been asked before. I'm an extreme noob to this forum

Personally,I`m a big fan of Hipshot open back locking tune They are American made, and I find them extremely easy to install and adjust.

You can swap in some vintage style locking ones, or you can ream out the hole a little and install some Phase 3 locking tuners (I will be doing this on my '08 SC245).

Congrats on a great guitar! It's one of my favorites personally. Post up a couple pics as well!

You can swap in some vintage style locking ones, or you can ream out the hole a little and install some Phase 3 locking tuners (I will be doing this on my '08 SC245).

Congrats on a great guitar! It's one of my favorites personally. Post up a couple pics as well!

I did this with Phase III's on one. I had Hipshots for another, but couldn't get the collars out. I ended up ordering a set of Kluson's Vintage Style locking tuners. Don't care for them though. Anything more than snug breaks the high E.

I'll post some pics if someone will tell me how. Does anyone know if PRS ever made a core SC with just one tone and volume and the pickup switch behind the bridge? If so, why and when did it change?

I'll post some pics if someone will tell me how. Does anyone know if PRS ever made a core SC with just one tone and volume and the pickup switch behind the bridge? If so, why and when did it change?

There was the Singlecut Trem (with vibrato bridge) in the 00's and also the Singlecut Satin (vibrato or stoptail) around '07-ish. Both models ran their course, I suppose.

Just about purchased an SC245 myself. Congrats, but please post pics. Load the pics you want to post onto Photobucket (its free) and then copy and paste them into your thread.

Just acquired my first USA PRS. Yay!! I just got a 2008 SC245, just curious if there are any aftermarket locking tuners that will fit it without drilling? I apologize if this question has been asked before. I'm an extreme noob to this forum

You can always send an email to PRS Customer Service and ask if you don't get an answer here.

Here she is. The dust really showed up well, lol. It was an even trade for a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. I love the sound of an LP and have to keep reminding myself that its not gonna sound like one. The fit, finish and stability of the Gibson doesn't come close.

Last edited:
Here she is. The dust really showed up well, lol. It was an even trade for a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. I love the sound of an LP and have to keep reminding myself that its not gonna sound like one. The fit, finish and stability of the Gibson doesn't come close.
Congratulations - BTW - What made you want to trade for the SC245?

Congratulations - BTW - What made you want to trade for the SC245?
The tuning stability wasn't the greatest on the LP, which has led to some really embarrassing moments at gigs. I have owned a couple of SEs through the years, and was always impressed with their build quality. So I assumed if the SEs were good the USA has to be better, and they are. I love the tone of this guitar, but it's just not what I'm used to. It grows on me everyday tho'. And man, it plays like butter!! So far I have only practiced with it, and it sounds great and cuts thru really well. Got 2 gigs coming up Labor Day weekend, that will be the true test.

I believe John Mann is doing retro fits of vintage tuners to PRS style locking tuners , I thought I saw a Les Paul he did
I would send him an email,
On the other hand I am not having an tuning issues with my Starla and it has a Bigsby and Vintage tuners
PS I love your guitar !!!!!

Back