SC245 experts/lovers: some questions for you! :)

zurdyo

Hey all,
I've recently fallen in love with the looks and sound of the SC245 and would love to know more about it. Yet, some aspects of this instrument are still unclear to me hope some of the local veterans can help me clarify some of these.

I attach a few pics of the two finishes I would choose between.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there anywhere online I can find a comprehensive guide to this model without harassing you guys? ;)

2. How many versions of this model are there?

3. I notice in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00q6ye0TBQE&feature=youtube_gdata_player) the user is able to split the two humbuckers. Is this available on all models?

4. In the pictures I attach I can see two different kinds of bridges. How do they differ?

5. I noticed also that some models have full birds and some hollow birds. How come?

6. Living in Italy, I'm not sure I'll get a chance to try a CS245. Would a Custom 24 (which is more accessible here), having the same pickups I'm after (the 57/08's) give me a close enough sound to know what this single cut will sound like?

7. Where would you suggest going online or on land (preferably EU) in order to find some of these guitars to choose from?

Any other info/input is more than welcome!! :)

Thanks,

Z

prssc245.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

2013/2014 models have a 2 piece bridge and 57/08 pickups
prior to that they had a stoptail bridge and 245 pickups

Stripped 58 models are basically the same as a sc245 with a 2 piece bridge and 57/08 pick ups

PRS SE 245 all have stoptail bridge, flat bodies, and Korean electronics and hardware

The 2013/2014 SC245 and stripped 58's will sound much different than a custom 24 with the same pickups. The piece bridge alone makes a huge difference in the tone...

Honestly if I were you I would buy this right now today http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIPS-WORLD...S-/131256047473?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e8f785771

That is a great price, it looks great, and it ships worldwide!

Last edited:
Hey all,
I've recently fallen in love with the looks and sound of the SC245 and would love to know more about it. Yet, some aspects of this instrument are still unclear to me hope some of the local veterans can help me clarify some of these.

I attach a few pics of the two finishes I would choose between.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there anywhere online I can find a comprehensive guide to this model without harassing you guys? ;)

2. How many versions of this model are there?

3. I notice in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00q6ye0TBQE&feature=youtube_gdata_player) the user is able to split the two humbuckers. Is this available on all models?

4. In the pictures I attach I can see two different kinds of bridges. How do they differ?

5. I noticed also that some models have full birds and some hollow birds. How come?

6. Living in Italy, I'm not sure I'll get a chance to try a CS245. Would a Custom 24 (which is more accessible here), having the same pickups I'm after (the 57/08's) give me a close enough sound to know what this single cut will sound like?

7. Where would you suggest going online or on land (preferably EU) in order to find some of these guitars to choose from?

Any other info/input is more than welcome!! :)

Thanks,

Z
1. This is probably the best place and we love talking about it.
2. At least 2, not counting the ones that go by 58 and stripped 58, or the Korean SE245s
3. Not sure about this one
4. From 2007-2010 or so, there was the original SC245, with the stoptail one piece bridge. then from 2011-2012 there were the two 58 models with the two piece bridge. Then in 2013 I think it was they basically took the Stripped 58 and renamed it back to the SC245, now with the two piece bridge
5. the birds have evolved on all models, with the solid, original birds on 2007s, hollow birds 2008-09, 25th anniversary birds on 2010s, and filled in birds on more recent models (like your second pic)
6. They're very different guitars: different bridges, different scale lengths, different body thicknesses, different neck carves... so probably not.
7. Not sure, but check the dealer pages on PRSguitars.com

Thanks fellas!

So far you've given me loads of precious info!

CJ: those auctions look pretty sweet, yet I haven't even played a PRS yet!! :D

They are fantastic guitars!

In addition to the ones already mentioned, there is now a limited edition of Private Stock and Artist Relations McCarty Singlecuts that are SC245s with 2 piece bridges, select woods, maple fingerboard bindings, thicker bodies, specially wound pickups and mammoth ivory bird inlays that are intended for a more vintage vibe.

They sound absolutely great, too. :top:

As to the bridges, the one piece bridge probably sounds a little more "modern," and the two piece a bit more "vintage," with a more woody sound that's pretty noticeable. So the bridge choice probably boils down to the kinds of tones you like best.

The birds are just decor. PRS likes to change it up every once in a while. The hollow birds were introduced on the Modern Eagle model (now considered pretty much a classic PRS model). I ordered my Private Stock acoustic with them, as I really like the look. Other people prefer the more traditional filled birds. Just a taste thing, of course!

One thing i´d like to add is that the Stripped 58 and SC 58 are solid (Non-chambered).

One thing i´d like to add is that the Stripped 58 and SC 58 are solid (Non-chambered).

Which models would be chambered then? Does that imply a lighter weightair does the sound change too?

And does anyone have a clue how the humbucker switch in the video works? Is that something the author had custom made or does any single cut model have it?

Back