Seth Lovers in a SE McCarty singlecut?

Newcitypraise

I have a CE 594 Singlecut coming tomorrow. For those of you with experience with the 58/15 LT S pickups and Seth Lovers, how would you say they compare? I have a set of the latter and am wondering what kind of differences I may find between the two?

One thing I would bring up about the Seth Lover pickups is that I have them in a Heritage 157 and have had some unwanted feedback issues at gig volumes because they are not wax potted. I swapped them over to a set of Pearly Gates. The PG is nearly the same pickup but is wax potted. It is hard to tell whether you are going to have this issue or not. I have a Seth in a Heritage Millennium and have had zero unwanted feedback through the same rig and same gig volumes. For me it seems to be a difference between solid and hollow body guitars with the feedback. The Seth Lovers sound great though.

One thing I would bring up about the Seth Lover pickups is that I have them in a Heritage 157 and have had some unwanted feedback issues at gig volumes because they are not wax potted. I swapped them over to a set of Pearly Gates. The PG is nearly the same pickup but is wax potted. It is hard to tell whether you are going to have this issue or not. I have a Seth in a Heritage Millennium and have had zero unwanted feedback through the same rig and same gig volumes. For me it seems to be a difference between solid and hollow body guitars with the feedback. The Seth Lovers sound great though.
Thanks for your input man! I have some Seth’s in a Gretsch semi hollow without feedback issues. But it’s most likely my setup. I play through a UA Dream, Ruby or Lion out through a Canvas Stereo to the house and monitor through in-ears. I assume that this sort of setup is less prone to feedback when compared with standing in front of an amp.

Thanks for your input man! I have some Seth’s in a Gretsch semi hollow without feedback issues. But it’s most likely my setup. I play through a UA Dream, Ruby or Lion out through a Canvas Stereo to the house and monitor through in-ears. I assume that this sort of setup is less prone to feedback when compared with standing in front of an amp.
That could be. My typical rig is a hand wired custom Vibrolux Reverb amp and a pedal board. I have tilt back legs on it so I am right in the throw of the amp at my back.

That could be. My typical rig is a hand wired custom Vibrolux Reverb amp and a pedal board. I have tilt back legs on it so I am right in the throw of the amp at my back.
I’d love the opportunity lo be able to run through something like that! With the volume level I play at it’s just not an option.

One thing I would bring up about the Seth Lover pickups is that I have them in a Heritage 157 and have had some unwanted feedback issues at gig volumes because they are not wax potted.
If the feedback issue happens you can always wax pot yourself. A little intimidating, but not too difficult.

The only issues I can see you running into, and I say this from owning SE 594 Singlecut's is the long legs on the Seths, and the crappy wiring routes on the 594 Singlecut's.

The only issues I can see you running into, and I say this from owning SE 594 Singlecut's is the long legs on the Seths, and the crappy wiring routes on the 594 Singlecut's.
I appreciate the heads up! Really do. I’d have probably torn the thing apart before even considering cavity depth. And I f I keep the guitar I’ll be replacing the wiring, so thanks for that heads up as well!

No worries man. Here is a post w/ pics from a thread I posted on about 3 months ago. Just to give you and idea of what you are looking at.

I put a set of Seths in an ES-335. Before installing them, I took the covers off, tightened the screws on the bottom, but a thin bead of silicone across the slug coils, clamped the covers back snugly and soldered them on. I play very loud at times with a good amount of distortion. No feedback and sounds good! I've potted a few pickups in my day and they usually end up sounding different than before potting.

I appreciate the heads up! Really do. I’d have probably torn the thing apart before even considering cavity depth. And I f I keep the guitar I’ll be replacing the wiring, so thanks for that heads up as well!
I've had long legs work in a PRS, but would recommend short leg. I've had to zing zing a bit of wood out with a bit. I don't have a se594, but the se guitars I've owned, long leg worked without modification. Good luck on your tone quest!

Last edited:
I put a set of Seths in an ES-335. Before installing them, I took the covers off, tightened the screws on the bottom, but a thin bead of silicone across the slug coils, clamped the covers back snugly and soldered them on. I play very loud at times with a good amount of distortion. No feedback and sounds good! I've potted a few pickups in my day and they usually end up sounding different than before potting.
That sound like a really good solution. I agree that potting a pickup changes the sound. That is why I decided to swap mine for Pearly Gates. After doing the research, they look to be the closest to the Seths in construction and are potted. They do sound a little different but in the guitar I put them in they worked.

I know some people who use "silly putty" as well and get similar results.

I know some people who use "silly putty" as well and get similar results.
Yeah. I had done the silicone thing for a while when Jim Wagner from WCR, or CRC (whatever he's calling himself now) recommended the silicone too. Then some time later I ordered a set from him and it looked like Silly Putty under the covers. Worked just as well. Actually, might be better in some ways.

Guitar came Wednesday evening. Fit and finish are flawless. Tuners are fine….not great. I expected that from reviews though and ordered some Klusons. Acoustically the guitar sounds rich and has great sustain. I was able to do a setup (per PRS specs) and run it through my pedalboard out to PA yesterday. Playing through a UA Dream and then a UA Lion sounded really good. The neck pickup is a bit dark. If I dial up the “amps” using the neck pickup, when I switch to the bridge it’s too bright for my liking and the opposite is true if I dial the amps for the bridge pickup. BUT, when dialing either in and staying in that position they sound excellent.
I’m going to put the Seth’s in there next week. They are a very balanced pair in other guitars. I ordered all the parts to re-wire the entire thing as well as replace the jack and selector switch with switchcraft parts. Those should be here Monday. I’ll check back in after everything's swapped.

Guitar came Wednesday evening. Fit and finish are flawless. Tuners are fine….not great. I expected that from reviews though and ordered some Klusons. Acoustically the guitar sounds rich and has great sustain. I was able to do a setup (per PRS specs) and run it through my pedalboard out to PA yesterday. Playing through a UA Dream and then a UA Lion sounded really good. The neck pickup is a bit dark. If I dial up the “amps” using the neck pickup, when I switch to the bridge it’s too bright for my liking and the opposite is true if I dial the amps for the bridge pickup. BUT, when dialing either in and staying in that position they sound excellent.
I’m going to put the Seth’s in there next week. They are a very balanced pair in other guitars. I ordered all the parts to re-wire the entire thing as well as replace the jack and selector switch with switchcraft parts. Those should be here Monday. I’ll check back in after everything's swapped.
Try the neck pickup height between 3/32" & 1/16" and the bridge pickup between 1/8" & 3/32" from the string. Make sure the string is pushed down at the last fret when taking measurements.

Back