S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow Pickup Change

SamIV

This guitar has the worst applied finish of any guitar I own. Finish chipping away from the neck by the fingerboard, and quite a number of chips that seem to just appear weekly. I only play at home. I find the #7 S pickups that are in it anemic at best. But I find it my best player. Doubt it will ever go anywhere. My favorite neck profile. Plays as good as the CE models I used to own if not better.

I play mainly rock from the 70’s and a bit of country. Recommend a new set of pickups that are not in the price range of 58/15 LT’s. Did I’m mention in a rather frugal. Was considering Duncan Seth Lovers.

This guitar has the worst applied finish of any guitar I own. Finish chipping away from the neck by the fingerboard, and quite a number of chips that seem to just appear weekly. I only play at home. I find the #7 S pickups that are in it anemic at best. But I find it my best player. Doubt it will ever go anywhere. My favorite neck profile. Plays as good as the CE models I used to own if not better.

I play mainly rock from the 70’s and a bit of country. Recommend a new set of pickups that are not in the price range of 58/15 LT’s. Did I’m mention in a rather frugal. Was considering Duncan Seth Lovers.
I don't like Seth Lovers. To me they sound "anemic" as well. Bland.

Antiquitys sound much, much better. Stronger, hotter, better tone...just mo better.

Shoot, I'd rather have a set of 59's than Seth Lovers.

The 59's are inexpensive and excellent as is, but what makes them great is they can be turned into a paf pickup from different years just by swapping the magnet. Lots of different tones in there if you're willing to experiment with roughcast A2, A3, A4 and A5 magnets.

All of which Gibson used in pafs and P90s somewhat randomly.

Magnets are cheap. AddictionFX, Mojo, StewMac...lots of places to buy them.

If you want something hotter, a great relatively inexpensive set is the Duncan Hot Rod set: JB bridge and Duncan Jazz neck.

Jeff Beck recorded Blow By Blow with those pickups.

Last edited:
What about a Wolfetone Marshallhead - B/Dr. Vintage - N set. Hotter bridge, PAF like neck. Wolfe is one of the original boutique pickup winders.
He answers his email personally

What about a Wolfetone Marshallhead - B/Dr. Vintage - N set. Hotter bridge, PAF like neck. Wolfe is one of the original boutique pickup winders.
He answers his email personally
Of the smaller winders, Wolfetone and Bare Knuckle seem to get a lot of praise.

I went with Bare Knuckle Abraxas for my #1 Bernie Marsden.

This video was posted here on the forum a week or two ago, and it's what convinced me to give them a shot.

Plus I love the Bare Knuckle Nantucket P90's I put in my PRS SE Soapbar.

Last edited:
I also love BKPs, Rebel Yells, Stormy Mondays, Emeralds, Mules.
I have HBP90 Nantuckets in my Zack Meyers, in distressed covers
LKlt2j6.jpg

If you’re on a budget, and want something with a little more beef than the 7‘s, I like the 245S pickups a lot. You can probably grab a set of Reverb pretty cheap.

Otherwise, if you want to spend more, something else on the hotter side of PAF, maybe mid output, 10-12K. My take is the 7’s are vintage-hot, and have a big upper mid peak, so most pickups that are more neutral in balance should be nice for you.

I have the 58/15s pickups in my S2 Standard 22 and prefer those over my SE 245 pickups. Probably would not mind trying a set of those in it, but not easy to come by used. Don’t know it they are different than what are in later 245 offerings because mine is a Korean model. I am assuming they are factory. I do prefer a PAF tone I guess. Lower output and not too much mid boost.

Did not care at all for the 85/15s pickups in my S2 Custom 22 semi-hollow I have. Put a set of TV Jones in it and I am much happier.

I have the 58/15s pickups in my S2 Standard 22 and prefer those over my SE 245 pickups. Probably would not mind trying a set of those in it, but not easy to come by used. Don’t know it they are different than what are in later 245 offerings because mine is a Korean model. I am assuming they are factory. I do prefer a PAF tone I guess. Lower output and not too much mid boost.

Did not care at all for the 85/15s pickups in my S2 Custom 22 semi-hollow I have. Put a set of TV Jones in it and I am much happier.
The Korean made SE Bernie Marsden also has the Korean SE 245 humbuckers.

They sound good in the Bernie. With its short 24.5" scale and a lightweight body as thick as a LP the 245's sound warm and full.

Maybe too warm. I'd like to hear just a touch more treble.

In my slim bodied 25" scale SE Singlecut they don't sound that way. Not as full. A weaker sound that doesn't quite get going without a pedal.

Last edited:
Kinda like how these #7’s sound in it. Just no oomph. They sound good in the single cut standard video’s I have watched. The 245’s are a nice change from my 58/15s pickups. More mods and less top end. Maybe I need something just a bit hotter. I don’t know the specs on them though. Anyone tried the Suhr Thorn Buckers in a semi hollow. They seem to get good reviews.

Last edited:
Wolfetone all the way! Quality product, service, and an all around great guy to deal with..drop him an email on what your after and enjoy!

Back