Satin necks...I can't be alone?

How do you take your necks?

• Satin

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Gloss

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • No preference...I melt faces either way.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Who cares, you should have your doctor increase your OCD meds

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

ScottR

If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.
I mean, I'm a total neck agnostic when it comes to carves, but I really, REALLY don't like the feel of gloss necks in my hand.

Mind you, I'm not a shredder in any sence of the word. For me it's not about speed as much as it is a feel thing. Also keep in mind, I keep my guitars clean, and I don't have sweaty hands.

When I've had gloss necks in the past...the first thing I wanted to do was take a brillo pad the neck immediately, especially with my SS. BUT there was NO WAY I was doing that to a guitar that I thought I might sell in the future.

So what say you all? Am I just a weirdo or is that an issue for some of you as well?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Well, yeah, you are a weirdo, but not with respect to satin necks :p I'm with you, I am not a fan of gloss necks. My hands get all sticky on them. Like you, I didn't do anything to them in the past because I was afraid to, or it would hurt resale. Last spring I said F@ck it. I've since done the brillo pad on my DGT, Dirty 100 and Mira. I waxed the necks on my SSH, ME-V, Santana and one Westie. The wax works, but I like the satin feel better

Satin for all necks. If not it gets the 0000 steel wool treatment and avoid polishing the necks going forward.

of course I’m talking about the regular lines. I would never do that to a wood library or Private stock.

I like natural necks, especially rosewood, and was a big fan of the so-called “superglue” finish on the Strat necks of the early 90s. In the end, though, the finish doesn’t hold me back from enjoying a good guitar. I’ve not yet had the gumption to take abrasives to the neck of an otherwise unmodded guitar, so I’m in the No (or not enough) Preference category.

Satin neck for me all the way. PRS were the first ones I was nervous about doing. Now I don't care and do it to any of them. I think my work looks professional enough I don't worry about resale. It's a catch 22. If it's not satin I won't play it as much and then it will be sold. If I do it it may hurt resale but so will the additional player wear. In the end I buy guitars to play. Satin for me!

I'm planning on getting a S2 594 and sending it to MJT to refinish in metallic nitro and satin on the neck.

Well, yeah, you are a weirdo, but not with respect to satin necks :p I'm with you, I am not a fan of gloss necks. My hands get all sticky on them. Like you, I didn't do anything to them in the past because I was afraid to, or it would hurt resale. Last spring I said F@ck it. I've since done the brillo pad on my DGT, Dirty 100 and Mira. I waxed the necks on my SSH, ME-V, Santana and one Westie. The wax works, but I like the satin feel better

OWNER!!

I love my satin necked CU24, but I'm so accustomed to gloss necks that they don't really phase me. If I was still playing lots of sweaty gigs like when I was much younger, I'd probably be more fired up about it. I used to hate how sticky gloss necks got once I got sweaty. Now that my band basically only jams in my cushy air conditioned music room it's not an issue.

Outta curiosity who’s MJT and what’s the going rate for that?
MJT Aged Finishes based in Missouri has been doing nitro refinishing for years. I've had them do a Strat and a custom finish for me and was pleased. I don't know if it is against the rules here to post a link for another company, but you should be able to google them. This past week I was quoted that they can strip the body for $150, then refinish it for $335. Body only and cheap because it is a nitro over cellulose finish with no binding. It could get pricey, probably around $1,000 to refin a poly with binding guitar.

I voted No Preference, but to be fair, I do prefer satin - but my 2 Velas both have gloss necks, and I love them both and am not about to sand the necks. So I'll go either way, but if the only difference is neck finish I'll go satin.

I voted No Preference, but to be fair, I do prefer satin - but my 2 Velas both have gloss necks, and I love them both and am not about to sand the necks. So I'll go either way, but if the only difference is neck finish I'll go satin.

It's super easy man. It's knocking off the gloss and there is a point that you can return it to gloss rather easily. Though, I get it if someone didn't want to do it to their guitar for various reasons.

neck-heel2255b9a513f0cd385.jpg

Back