Satin necks...I can't be alone?

How do you take your necks?

• Satin

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Gloss

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • No preference...I melt faces either way.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Who cares, you should have your doctor increase your OCD meds

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
For me it seems to depend upon not just satin vs. gloss, but also what kind of gloss. I voted "no preference" and by that I meant that I can get comfortable with either. I started way back with satin-y Fender necks. But I'm totally cool with the glossy PRS necks that also I have now, too.

I will say this, though: I've never hated a satin neck; but for sure there's been some sticky-glossy necks that I've hated. I'm not totally anti-gloss... but some of 'em aren't for me.

It's super easy man. It's knocking off the gloss and there is a point that you can return it to gloss rather easily. Though, I get it if someone didn't want to do it to their guitar for various reasons.

neck-heel2255b9a513f0cd385.jpg

If I disliked the gloss neck I'd consider it, but they feel fine to me.

For me it's more of a case of what I'm used to, and that changes. When I was gigging regularly (many many moons ago) I was into raw wood or worn down tung oil finishes, that's mainly because I was making my own part-o-casters and using raw wood necks.

Now when I went PRS I had to get used to gloss, and it's stuck ever since. When I recarved the neck on my SC-HB I left it satin for a while but going from gloss to satin between my 2 main guitars was not a good thing for me so I lacquered the shyt outta it, and I'm cool in glossy land.

Although I do admit that if they both were satin I would get used to it rather quickly, it reminded me of the old days.

I'm trying to decide if I should sand the back of all my necks or spray a gloss satin paint on the back of all my necks, or both.

Got my CE24 and fell in love with the PRS satin neck finish. Bought a core 594 and was worried about the gloss nitro, thinking I might need to the scotch brite mod (think I even had asked in a few threads some months back).... but got the 594 and still can't believe how slippery and smooth the gloss finish is.

So, I guess my answer is choice E, both = as long as their good.

What’s it come with? Ok, I like that!

However, my Vela has a satin neck with no grain filler and it is sublime. I’d go out on a limb to say it’s the best neck I’ve ever played.

I prefer satin necks. Just last week I took some Scotchbright to my two Teles. They had built up a little bit of a shine since I originally knocked the shine off several years ago. I've also done my Strats. BUT, I cannot bring myself to do this to any of my PRS. It's not about resale, as I've never sold or traded a guitar. I just can't do it to.

I prefer satin necks. Just last week I took some Scotchbright to my two Teles. They had built up a little bit of a shine since I originally knocked the shine off several years ago. I've also done my Strats. BUT, I cannot bring myself to do this to any of my PRS. It's not about resale, as I've never sold or traded a guitar. I just can't do it to.

I feel you...I did it to the couple of strats that I've owned and my beloved SE245 (because it's a straight up forever guitar) but, when it came to the Silver Sky...I removed all the Scotchbrite from my house so I wouldn't be tempted. In the end I sold the SS because I couldn't deal with the sticky neck. The maple fretboard models have a satin finish. I played one recently and it was devine!

I feel you...I did it to the couple of strats that I've owned and my beloved SE245 (because it's a straight up forever guitar) but, when it came to the Silver Sky...I removed all the Scotchbrite from my house so I wouldn't be tempted. In the end I sold the SS because I couldn't deal with the sticky neck. The maple fretboard models have a satin finish. I played one recently and it was devine!
Damn. I didn’t know that about the rosewoods. I own a maple. And it’s it’s buttery smooth. I could never scotchbright or steel wool a guitar to this level of smoothness.

A no-preference guy here as well. Still somewhat shy about sanding a neck, even if it would improve playability. I'd guess what's more important is how hard was it to play a non-sanded neck originally? I'd feel better if the neck wasn't gummy, but then again, that's not happened with my guitars. YMMV.

I was in the same camp. I lost count how many strats and such I've done this to like it was no big deal. I'd do it without even thinking twice. Though, it took some major courage to do it to PRS. My Torero started to satin up a bit from playing and figured if it does that I can accelerate the process on others.

I started on a SE. I used a grey scotchbtite first to test the waters and taped up the neck. I'd never done either of these in the past, green pad and just do it was before. The grey is easily reversible and more forgiving than the green. I lightly de glossed and then brought the gloss back. Once I saw this could be done I went head first into the deep end and couldn't be happier for it. Now besides more prep work and steps it's no different than doing a strat after a couple beers...

Every guitar I own has a gloss neck. It's a prerequisite to History of Les 201, History of Les' Favorite Guitars. We needn't discuss prerequisites for History of Les 301, Advanced Studies in Setting Up Tube Amps Les' Way, or History of Les 401, How Les Chose His Pedalboard.

Satin necks don't pass History of Les 101, Introduction to Les. So their owners can't take the upper-level courses.

I would also like to mention that PhD students in History of Les may give their dissertations on subjects like How Les Learned To Hear Differences Between Audio Cables.

Honestly I wouldn’t put it past you to hear the difference In cheap cables vs quality, or 10 ft vs 30 ft. Sounds like a you’re a man that appreciates what Paul strives for everyday with this brand.

Back