Santana III volume pot issue.

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
Jumpy inconsistent volume pot. When I pull the knob, volume jumps very high. Any ideas? It’s a used, new to me ‘03. Should I just plan on new pots, switch and whatever else is in there?

The knobs won’t budge. Any tricks for getting stuck knobs off, especially with the relief around the knobs on a core guitar?

I tried the Chuck Norris method - I glared at them hoping they would pop off in abject fear. When that didn’t work, I asked here and got the shoelace method.
Ah that's where you went wrong.
You needed to emulate ObiWan Kenobi...."these are not the knobs you are looking for"

I've used the showlace method. Sometimes helps to rock the knob a little by alternating which the side of the knob you're pulling up on.

I've never broken a guitar top pulling a knob off but I've heard about it happening.

So I use the fingers of one hand to press down around the area of the knob and pull up on the knob with a shoe string with the other.

I have pulled the post right out of the pot and had to replace the pot when a knob was ridiculously tight.

Last edited:
I keep a shoelace in my toolbox. I've also had good success with wrapping the hem of a t-shirt under/around the knob. I always have a couple old t-shirts around for wiping guitars, protecting them when wiring, etc.

Rocking helps, or in the case of the shoelace/t-shirt method, I pull a little on one side, rotate, pull a little on the other side, repeat until it's loose enough to pull off.

Glad the cleaning did the trick! Replacing volume pots is annoying.

I use a microfiber cloth to pull knobs off. I have used the shoelace as well. Both work well.

Deoxit for the pot issue for sure. WD-40 has a contact cleaner now that is pretty good too. Make sure you get the contact cleaner, not regular WD-40. That stuff will ruin the pot. I am still using an old can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Make sure you don't get one with a lubricant in it. That will collect dirt and make things worse.

If you need to replace it, you can buy PRS pots. I love the feel of the PRS pots and I keep some on hand just in case I ever need to replace any. I have replaced some for friends and a couple for myself over the years.

Back