Sabbath or Zeppelin? Go!

Tough call. I identified with Sabbath much more in my early years of playing but appreciate the layers and textures created by Zep. I’m not sure I can give a definitive answer.

Easy choice for me: Zep because Page showed himself to be a consummate instrumentalist, a superb co-writer, and one of the best producers in rock history . Plant has one of the quintessential rock voices. Bonham was a big-time drummer, and John Paul Jones is not only a talented writer for film, etc., he’s a superb bass player.

And I like their recordings.

Black Sabbath’s music isn’t my cup of tea. I’m sure it has its merits, but I don’t enjoy listening to it.

Led Zeppelin is my all time favorite rock band.
Sabbath, to me, is just OK. I appreciate their influence, and like some of their songs, but otherwise meh...

If push comes to shove... Zeppelin

TBH, both bands are too heavy for me (these days)
I bought the 1st Sabbath album when it was new. I no longer have it. I still have a couple of Zep though.

the 1984 version of this question was ‘maiden or priest?’ and man did the heads debate that one. after one such debate petered out, i remember one of the (not many) high school metalheads (in a home-made denim ac/dc vest) turning to an elder (in indian beads and those suede stoner boots) to ask ‘but what do you consider van halen?’

short pause. ‘a joke.’

laughs all around.

Sabbath. I got interested in music at a pretty young age, 6-7. I was attracted to their sound which was darker and heavier than the other music I was hearing at that age. I was rocking Sabbath and U2 a lot. I didn't get interested in Zep until I was playing the guitar another 7-8 years later.

Back