Sabbath or Zeppelin? Go!

I totally agree. The central question here is philosophical...making it easily the most interesting of the collection of "20 questions" Shawn started throwing at us yesterday. Sabbath were the first to do something...so everyone who does that thing again owes some imaginary debt to them for "inventing" it. But do you really believe that the genre of heavy metal would not have eventually occurred, ever, if Sabbath never existed? We know that people, even whole civilizations can develop similar concepts in complete isolation of each other. For example the Mesoamerican cultures built pyramids, not identical, but similar to those built in Egypt 2,000 years earlier. One culture in a desert, the others in mountainous jungle regions...so it certainly wasn't predetermined by the terrain or materials...but just the concept. There is no geographical or cultural connection between the two civilizations (assuming you don't believe in aliens), so how did they both get a very similar idea? Is it something inherent in the human brain? Are there just only so many combinations of shapes in the universe? If a non-formally trained musician like Iommi could "discover" the glorious dissonance of the tritone (first used in music in the middle ages, and virtually outlawed by renaissance composers as "the devil's cord") while listening to classical music from the early 1900's with Geezer...is it really unlikely that someone, somewhere would pick up a heavily distorted electric guitar and "discover" the same thing? Maybe...and maybe it wouldn't have been as awesome if someone else did...but it's only been about 50 years since then...and I'd bet it would have happened in a lot less time than that. Is the moment of raw genius and inspiration, that occurs by chance, more beautiful and satisfying than the genius that results from the dedication and perseverance of refining an existing art form or genre to the highest level one can possibly accomplish? Is the first person who made a crude statue by banging rocks together more brilliant than Michelangelo?

Are you more impressed by the big bang....or evolution?
I’m not a philosophy guy, really. Have never studied it at all.
I don’t believe that anyone owe’s debt to the originator per se. Sure, I don’t doubt someone would’ve created something similar at some point. I also think that in creating music, the magic that takes place between musicians, it takes those specific individuals and their music knowledge and experiences(or lack there of) coming together at the right moment and in the right mindset to create the spark. The chemistry to create music with a group of people, the raw inspiration and genius of something new...does that really occur by chance? The initial spark, sure. That spark needs to fanned from a smolder and built into a fire. Sabbath was a blues band, and somehow evolved into something that hadn’t been done. I wouldn’t put that into the Big Bang category exactly. There’s still an evolution of sorts even if the Sabbath metal is crude by today’s standards.

I feel there’s more pure joy, an otherworldly out of body feeling, when one feels they’ve created something that hasn’t been done before. Sometimes even in it’s most raw form.

That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy honing ideas, refining and evolving things. There’s a satisfaction in that as well. Bands that have any longevity generally do that throughout their careers.

foghat or molly hatchet tho?

I’m not a philosophy guy, really. Have never studied it at all.
I don’t believe that anyone owe’s debt to the originator per se. Sure, I don’t doubt someone would’ve created something similar at some point. I also think that in creating music, the magic that takes place between musicians, it takes those specific individuals and their music knowledge and experiences(or lack there of) coming together at the right moment and in the right mindset to create the spark. The chemistry to create music with a group of people, the raw inspiration and genius of something new...does that really occur by chance? The initial spark, sure. That spark needs to fanned from a smolder and built into a fire. Sabbath was a blues band, and somehow evolved into something that hadn’t been done. I wouldn’t put that into the Big Bang category exactly. There’s still an evolution of sorts even if the Sabbath metal is crude by today’s standards.

I feel there’s more pure joy, an otherworldly out of body feeling, when one feels they’ve created something that hasn’t been done before. Sometimes even in it’s most raw form.

That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy honing ideas, refining and evolving things. There’s a satisfaction in that as well. Bands that have any longevity generally do that throughout their careers.

Hmmmm, okay I have always thought of LZ as sort of a soundtrack of my youth. I've always thought of BS as well...bad a$$. This was my tie breaker...both had game changing guitarist...however...bow vs. plastic/wooden figertips...bow wins...;)

I'm not a total fan of either one, but I like and enjoy them fine.
In my mind, Page was way more creative in his approach to guitar.
Through all his sessions and some of the influences he had, he was really good and really versatile.
Not a lot of attention is paid too, or given credit too, Paige for his acoustic guitar work, but it fills an awful lot of their songs.
Paige is a weird guy, very secretive and paranoid.However, three of his influences in the early-mid sixties were Bert Jansch, Davey Graham and
John Renbourn.

Take a listen to this, see what u think.
Feels familiar, but different.

Last edited:
I haven't kept track of all the latest Zep remasters, but I'm kinda interested to see what comes out with the 50th year anniversary.

Back