S2 Singlecut Coil Split

balow34

Hey everyone, first post. I recently purchased a 2017 PRS S2 Singlecut and I've notice two things: 1) overall the pick-ups (#7's) are really muddy, especially in the neck, 2) the coil split feature that comes on this guitar seems to have no bearing whatsoever. I had come across a few reviews of the guitar before I purchased it having similar reviews regarding the sound of the #7's, curious if others with this guitar experience the same?

FYI, I'm playing into an Orange Crush 35RT.

The guitar in my avatar is a Singlecut Standard with the #7 pickups. I love them. I have not found them to be muddy at all, and I run a very midrange heavy sound. Personally, I find the coil splits to make the pickups too anemic sounding. I only really use the split on the neck pickup.

Overall, the #7s are among my favorite pickups out there.

I have the singelcut standard in my avatar, and when I coil split it sounds completely different.
Also, they do tend to be a bit muddier than I expected, but amp and tone settings can clean that up a bit.

The #7's are a very versatile pickup, and once you find that spot, they're golden.
If the coil split isn't doing anything, you might have a lose wire somewhere.

Was this new or used?
And of course we will need to see pix. ;)

I will look into the loose wire. It's a possibility I suppose. I bought it brand new. Always wanted a PRS Singlecut, couldn't afford a Core model, so the S2 was a good follow-up choice, plus I bought one of their Colors of the Month versions: Purple Firemist. Love the guitar and love the #7 in the bridge, but in the neck position it just doesn't seem like it has much clarity.

I didn't like the 7 pickups on my S2 Singlecut at all. Swapped them for BK Rebel Yells and couldn't be happier - really amazing. I don't use the coil splits much and would gladly do without them.

Make sure you take the time to adjust pick up height, as well as pole piece height. A little goes a long way.

I also find there to be a contrast between the S2 #7 bridge and neck pickups. I have them in two guitars and it just depends on the personality of the guitar as to which pickup, neck or bridge, sounds like it “fits” best. But, that being said, if this is your first PRS, also try turning the bass down on your amp. Most PRS guitars have more bass resonance than other brands, in my experience, so if you have your amp set where it sounded good with another guitar, it will sound muddy if you don’t adjust the EQ. PRS puts a lot of emphasis on making very resonant guitars that don’t lose vibrational energy, which usually shows up in those low registers.

As far as the coil splits, you should definitely hear a difference. I think your guitar has two push-pulls, so make sure you’re activating the one that corresponds to the correct pickup.

If you bought it used, the seller may have had other pickups in it and swapped the originals back in badly.

Thanks for all the input. The guitar is brand new, so the pick-up swap shouldn't have occurred. As noted by Andy474x, I may need to adjust the settings between my PRS and my Fender Elite. Definitely a different world between the two guitars. Again, love the bridge, just really disappointed with the neck sound and lack of clarity.

Horax - I actually have a great story to go along with the guitar as well which makes it even more fun. Put simply, the early bird gets the PRS! Bought it recently at a large guitar event and numerous people tried purchasing it (unbeknownst to me - an employee told me after the fact), but I had made it there first. Nothing like walking in and seeing someone holding the guitar trying to buy it from the employee.

Back