S2 McCarty

mark cassidy

Ok, this is really unfortunate! I'm all set, all geared up for a McCarty in 2020 and now this happens. Gee, decisions! So here we go: What if any might be the downsides to settling for an S2 594 as opposed to the Core version? And I already have an S2 Custom 24 so I realize that "settling" is probably an unfortunate term here because I love my S2 C24. But...would we be talking cooler appearance (will the S2 have ten-tops?)? Would we be talking less sound quality with the 'S' pups - which, to be honest, I love my S2 pups? What's the take on this new spanner in the works from PRS???

You know me. I will always say, if you can get a core, get a core. Unless you already have that model and are looking for something specific that perhaps the S2 or SE offers that the core doesn't. But that is just me.

My take is, was, and always will that there are guitars at every level that have something special for you in particular. The first time I saw an S2 Studio I knew I was in trouble. I refused to play it until I had the money. Of course, I bought it. Remember, the flat top PRS electrics sound different than the violin tops. Try the guitar, and if it speaks to you, then you must buy.

You will be 'settling' for a different body carve with a thinner maple top and the 'S' version of the US Pick-ups - in fact, it looks like the 'S' version of the 58/15's and not the 58/15 LT's. It depends on what version you go for too as the 'thinline' has a Pattern Thin neck and all Mahogany build - also has the 3 way in a different position as well so that maybe something something else you 'settle' for. You won't get the choices - like wood library, 10-top options and certainly not the variety of colours if that matters to you either. You do get the same coil splitting options so you are not losing out there but don't get a hard case as standard.

The 2020 Core McCarty's will be 'TCI' tuned and are also finished in PRS's Nitro so that's something else you won't be getting either with the S2's. If you were looking at the SC's, the core will have US 58/15 LT+ Pups but you could probably buy 2 new S2 594's for the price of new Core - own both a double cut and single cut version for example.

I can't tell you if the Core is worth the extra cost or whether the S2 is the better value to you. Even if the core is 50% 'better' overall (if you can measure, its double the cost and whether you think its worth the extra or whether the S2 is 'good enough' is something you will have to decide yourself. I have NO doubt that the S2's will be great guitars at their price point as all PRS guitars from SE to Core are but its your money and up to you to decide.

The best thing to do is to try out both and decide if the Core is worth the extra cost to you or whether the S2 is good enough.

I played a couple Wood Library Single Cut 594's today, and though they were very nice, they weren't nice enough for me to have to take one home.
I then played a used (2015) Wood Library Custom 24 with 57/08's and it took all my strength to walk away from it.
I'd gone in looking to see if they had info on when they would be getting the S2 McCarty 594's in...….
The Core models are visually exquisite (at least the ones I saw/played today).
I have 3 SE's (Custom 24, SC245 and Custom 22 Semi Hollow) and so when I got home I played a couple of them to reinforce my walking away today was the correct decision.....it was.
The Custom 22 and 24 of mine have Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups, so I've replace stock pickups in those.

If 10 years from now you are going to wish you held out for a core, then wait for a core. If 10 years from now you are going to say you still love your S2 then get an S2. I know you can't say now what you will think in the future, but take your best shot.

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to try the new S2 but my heart definitely is set on the Core model. Cheers.

You can find core McCarty models on the used market pretty reasonable. So, check eBay and Reverb. Absolutely nothing wrong with the S2 line and the new S2 McCarty models do look sweet - I'd love to try one out when they hit dealers. But, on the S2 line, I have a 2015 S2 Custom 22 and it is a fantastic guitar, but the only thing about it is that I find the stock pickups to be on the muddy side. Been wanting to change them, but not sure what I'd want to go with.

Man, I'd love a new version of the McCarty for my stable, but in honesty, while I can get with the traditional placement of the 3way on a Paul, I cannot get with it on the upper bout of the McCarty. The balance is just off to my eyes. I'm sure others consider it a godsend from the original position, but I'm too used to it now.

Man, I'd love a new version of the McCarty for my stable, but in honesty, while I can get with the traditional placement of the 3way on a Paul, I cannot get with it on the upper bout of the McCarty. The balance is just off to my eyes. I'm sure others consider it a godsend from the original position, but I'm too used to it now.

Get the single cut then...

You could go Thinline.

Back