S2 gets Core Pickups and Electronics

Don't say that too loud.. I'm half with you though. At first I was allllll about birds. Honestly, I would have started with a standard if it wasn't for me wanting birds and a fancy top so bad in the beginning. Fast forward to today, and I feel very differently. Gimme variety!

Don't get me wrong, I like birds, but some of my PRS I purchased because they didn't have birds. Every one of my PRS have different inlays. Either way, progress not perfection, and to me this is a welcomed trade off for the S2 moving in the right direction.
I have 6 PRSi, with 6 different inlays, however none of them has regular MOP birds. I like variety, but somehow the regular birds have never been in my stable and those are the ones I fell in love with.

Did I ever mention I have birds as pets as well?

I have 6 PRSi, with 6 different inlays, however none of them has regular MOP birds. I like variety, but somehow the regular birds have never been in my stable and those are the ones I fell in love with.
That's cool! I didn't even realize I was getting all different inlays until one day I noticed.. now its a thing. Doesn't mean I'd turn down a great guitar over inlays but somehow it's still working out that way.. probably becuae PRS ARE great guitars!

Did I ever mention I have birds as pets as well?
Now it all makes sense! How many birds? A fretboard worth!?!? :)

That's cool! I didn't even realize I was getting all different inlays until one day I noticed.. now its a thing. Doesn't mean I'd turn down a great guitar over inlays but somehow it's still working out that way.. probably becuae PRS ARE great guitars!

Now it all makes sense! How many birds? A fretboard worth!?!? :)
Just enough for a 12th position birds in flight inlay, however PRS does not use budgies for inlays ;-)

Yes. The distinction is pretty clear all over the product descriptions. Awesome!

"The S2 Vela's USA-made pickups and electronics comprise a DS-01 humbucker at the bridge and a Narrowfield mini humbucker in the neck position"
Was the DS-01 always made in the USA? I've got one in my 2017 Vela. I always assumed the Type-D and the DS-01 were both G&B pickups like the rest of the S2 line.

Don't say that too loud.. I'm half with you though. At first I was allllll about birds. Honestly, I would have started with a standard if it wasn't for me wanting birds and a fancy top so bad in the beginning. Fast forward to today, and I feel very differently. Gimme variety!

Don't get me wrong, I like birds, but some of my PRS I purchased because they didn't have birds. Every one of my PRS have different inlays. Either way, progress not perfection, and to me this is a welcomed trade off for the S2 moving in the right direction.
I love the birds, but on my SE One, I think the moons fit the "LP Junior" aesthetic better. The later run of SE Ones they did with the bound fretboards and bird inlays just looked too "fancy" for that type of guitar.

On the Vela, I could go either way. Since mine is a Vela Satin, I also appreciate the more modest aesthetic of the dots.

I love the birds, but on my SE One, I think the moons fit the "LP Junior" aesthetic better. The later run of SE Ones they did with the bound fretboards and bird inlays just looked too "fancy" for that type of guitar.

On the Vela, I could go either way. Since mine is a Vela Satin, I also appreciate the more modest aesthetic of the dots.
Agreed. I'm not a plastic binding guy. One of the things that attracted me to PRS. Good point on the Vela. The satin has always been my focus and mine is satin SH. A gloss solid body, and I can swing both ways for sure, maybe even towards birds. Good news for me is my second Vela with the NF will be a solid body.. appreciate the further enabling!

I wish the Vela came out with a PRS tremolo, and the old school MOON inlays! That would be cool!

The bridge is the heart and soul of the Vela. It’s half the reason it sounds as great as it does, and more than half of what makes it so cool and unique. I wish more people would appreciate how perfect and well thought out and well designed this guitar is. It seems like a lot of people just want to turn it into a Custom with a slightly different body shape so that it’s exactly like every other guitar they make. I’m already bummed that they got rid of the super cool neck pickup with all its mojo in favor of a way less unique (albeit great sounding) Narrowfield, and that they’re forcing birds onto a guitar that they don’t fit the aesthetics of (especially the satin models). These two things alone will make me seek out a used one with dots if I ever get another one. Add a trem and it wouldn’t even be a Vela anymore.

The first Velas – with the reclaimed woods – had birds. The Vela VR had birds. Birds are not new to the Vela. But I agree that dots suit the aesthetic of the satin Vela better.

The bridge is the heart and soul of the Vela. It’s half the reason it sounds as great as it does, and more than half of what makes it so cool and unique. I wish more people would appreciate how perfect and well thought out and well designed this guitar is. It seems like a lot of people just want to turn it into a Custom with a slightly different body shape so that it’s exactly like every other guitar they make. I’m already bummed that they got rid of the super cool neck pickup with all its mojo in favor of a way less unique (albeit great sounding) Narrowfield, and that they’re forcing birds onto a guitar that they don’t fit the aesthetics of (especially the satin models). These two things alone will make me seek out a used one with dots if I ever get another one. Add a trem and it wouldn’t even be a Vela anymore.

They could develop a T style bridge with a trem though and retain the uniqueness of the velas attack and sound

Wilkinson make one
I have a Fretking country squire that has it.

I agree, especially regarding the bridge and the birds. I had one in a McCarty burst with a gloss finish. Sold it to a friend who just loves it. I bought an S2 Standard 24 in the same McCarty burst but with the satin nitro and have to say that I like the finish and the whole guitar much better even though it's over a pound heavier. He was over yesterday and we compared them. Both have the same Pattern Regular neck, which we both think is about perfect. He loves the Vela but now he's looking for either an S2 Mira with the satin nitro, PR neck and dots or a core with dots! We're dot fans.

This right here, although I will probably snag one of the new ones at some point to see how it compares. I wish they came without birds, but I do like birds. The bridge is the most important part of the Vela magic, and PRS makes more than enough guitars with trems.

The first Velas – with the reclaimed woods – had birds. The Vela VR had birds. Birds are not new to the Vela. But I agree that dots suit the aesthetic of the satin Vela better.

Technically the Vernon Reid isn’t a Vela at all IMHO. The only thing it has in common with a Vela is the body style.

Please pardon my lazy attitude - I figured this would a good place to ask:
Is there a release date?
I’ve bought (2) Silver Sky (core models) in the last couple of years…and I love them both!
HOWEVER - I’ve had my eye on the S2 594 for those last couple of years as well.
Coming from Les Pauls, this has always seemed like a logical evolution for me (I am interested in the double-cut 594) as I have wanted something with less weight.
All of that said - I’ve got the bug again but just noticed these newer models coming with the new electronics.
Thanks for the info!!

-Scott

Please pardon my lazy attitude - I figured this would a good place to ask:
Is there a release date?
I’ve bought (2) Silver Sky (core models) in the last couple of years…and I love them both!
HOWEVER - I’ve had my eye on the S2 594 for those last couple of years as well.
Coming from Les Pauls, this has always seemed like a logical evolution for me (I am interested in the double-cut 594) as I have wanted something with less weight.
All of that said - I’ve got the bug again but just noticed these newer models coming with the new electronics.
Thanks for the info!!

-Scott
One option you have available as well is the 2023 S2 10th Anniversary McCarty 594
it has the core pickups (58/15 LT) and electronics as well as a mahogany neck and MOP birds
they are still available brand new and of course used

Back