S2 gets Core Pickups and Electronics

Just looked at an older set and the wiring isn't there to split but the Myles Kennedy splits.
I just checked my 23 Studio and they are 2 wire pickups.

As a side note. the wiring in this guitar is the neatest PRS wiring cavity I own. They also put shielding on the back of the backplate. None of my other PRS guitars have that either.

I am digging these changes. One thing that always bugs me on a PRS is plain-arse dots. Give me moons, or birds. Not white plastic dots that belong on a guitar with an F company on the headstock.

I wish PRS would do white outline birds, that would be cool. the black outline birds on the CE24 DW look amazing with more detail, just do it in white for rosewood fretboards.

I wish PRS would do white outline birds, that would be cool.
They're called 'Dirty birds':

Screenshot-2023-05-19-at-8-11-28-AM.png

Last edited:

Watching this video when it says US electronics and pickups.. and it hit me, does this mean the Vela now has the old core Starla bridge? That's killer!

It took forever for me to source a set for mine.

It says the PRS DS01 Humbucker
I think it is the US Starla pickup. Which, yes, is totally killer!

I was curious about this as well, so I dug up last year's Vela description and it says: PRS designed DS01 pickup, inferring it is made overseas. The 2024 description is simply DS01, indicating the American Starla version.

I am pretty well set on grabbing a Vela now. They are a super underrated PRS.

I think it is the US Starla pickup. Which, yes, is totally killer!

I was curious about this as well, so I dug up last year's Vela description and it says: PRS designed DS01 pickup, inferring it is made overseas. The 2024 description is simply DS01, indicating the American Starla version.

I am pretty well set on grabbing a Vela now. They are a super underrated PRS.
I was wondering the same:is this the old core starla bridge? If so, I see the starla leave my flock jn due time.

But would be redundant in my collection
The bridge pickup may be but there's plenty of differences to justify both in my mind. I have duplicates of pickups in various combinations and they are definitely different.

Especially if you went semi hollow Vela. Mine fills my only SH slot in the house.

Edit- but for sure what works for you is all that matters and brings a Vela home!!! Velas Rock!

Last edited:
OH CRAP! I just noticed that the Vela has Birds again! DAMMIT!
I agree. I prefer dots. Especially Moon dots. Just yesterday bought an S2 Standard 24 with dots. Would have passed on it if it had birds.

Is the DS-01 in the Vela made in the USA?
Yes. The distinction is pretty clear all over the product descriptions. Awesome!

"The S2 Vela's USA-made pickups and electronics comprise a DS-01 humbucker at the bridge and a Narrowfield mini humbucker in the neck position"

Yes. The distinction is pretty clear all over the product descriptions. Awesome!

"The S2 Vela's USA-made pickups and electronics comprise a DS-01 humbucker at the bridge and a Narrowfield mini humbucker in the neck position"
Now, if only the birds were MOP..

I agree. I prefer dots. Especially Moon dots. Just yesterday bought an S2 Standard 24 with dots. Would have passed on it if it had birds.
Don't say that too loud.. I'm half with you though. At first I was allllll about birds. Honestly, I would have started with a standard if it wasn't for me wanting birds and a fancy top so bad in the beginning. Fast forward to today, and I feel very differently. Gimme variety!

Don't get me wrong, I like birds, but some of my PRS I purchased because they didn't have birds. Every one of my PRS have different inlays. Either way, progress not perfection, and to me this is a welcomed trade off for the S2 moving in the right direction.

Don't say that too loud.. I'm half with you though. At first I was allllll about birds. Honestly, I would have started with a standard if it wasn't for me wanting birds and a fancy top so bad in the beginning. Fast forward to today, and I feel very differently. Gimme variety!

Don't get me wrong, I like birds, but some of my PRS I purchased because they didn't have birds. Every one of my PRS have different inlays. Either way, progress not perfection, and to me this is a welcomed trade off for the S2 moving in the right direction.
I've gotten to a place where I don't care for the veneer tops either. I'd rather just have the plain mahogany as on the S2 Standard 24 I just bought. With the satin McCarty burst it's just gorgeous to my eyes. I agree about PRS moving in the right direction as far as the upgraded electronics, though.

Back