S2 gets Core Pickups and Electronics

Should I feel guilty that I sold a set on Reverb in 2018 or 2019 for $750? :cool: :p
Not at all.

I modified my $899 Gretsch Electromagnetic and someone offered to buy it for 2 and a half times as much. They just liked it that much. I didn't sell it but that just shows that people place the value on things they want and are willing to afford.

I don't buy used but if I find that the set is still available for the $500 new, I'll definitely pick them up and save them for a future project!

Move makes sense, since the SE pickups are great for 1000 dollar guitars, but not so much for 2500 dollar ones. That being said, 350 upcharge is rather hefty in my book, no matter how great the 58/15 LTs are.

I love my 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 24, but with then new updates to Core electronics across the S2 line, now I'm really giving some thought to another S2, this time a Custom 24-08. The S2 updates really are closing the gap between S2 and Core. I'm impressed, and I'm assuming that pricing will be pretty well consistent with where the 10th Anniversary models were priced, so a pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me.

I love my 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 24, but with then new updates to Core electronics across the S2 line, now I'm really giving some thought to another S2, this time a Custom 24-08. The S2 updates really are closing the gap between S2 and Core. I'm impressed, and I'm assuming that pricing will be pretty well consistent with where the 10th Anniversary models were priced, so a pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me.
I came across somebody who did a push-pull mod so that you can do individual splits a la 24-08. I have no idea if this is any good but I held onto the link in case I want to do something like that down the line.

Dialing back the volume on position 1 and 5 seem to be a good alternative without doing a mod or buying a new guitar, though.

$500 isn't that bad for a limited pickup set, there are only so many of that batch produced and isn't a normal thing for PRS to do.

I am gonna order this set, and then when the set is in a guitar, I'm gonna try to do a comparison video on these pickups, the Seymour Duncan Frampton Comes Alive Pickups, and the Joe Bonamassa Blonde Dot pickups!!

Last edited:
Eesh. $500? Nope. So many options for killer PAF winds for way less. Wolfetone. Lollar. OX4. You could even find a set of Throbacks for less. I get the appeal, though. But at that price?

The guitars that had the LTs I've played were pretty special for what I like. I get the hesitation. The price is a little much, but they are pretty special.

$500 isn't that bad for a limited pickup set, there are only so many of that batch produced and isn't a normal thing for PRS to do.

I get they were a limited release, but are also pretty readily available on the used market, even if it's pulls from a guitar. At one time they were crazy priced, but for a while now they've been reasonably priced for the most part. Now that they are released along the s2 line, I wonder if PRS will start to sell them individually in the accessory store for the $200 like the rest? Obviously we'll see more on the used market too. The tweakers we are.

Does the 20% off sale at John Mann apply to these too?

I am gonna order this set, and then when the set is in a guitar, I'm gonna try to do a comparison video on these pickups, the Seymour Duncan Frampton Comes Alive Pickups, and the Joe Bonamassa Blonde Dot pickups!!
That would be a cool shootout, especially against the SD Joe Bonamassa. Are you going to use the same guitar or different?

Last edited:
That would be a cool shootout, especially against the SD Joe Bonamassa. Are you going to use the same guitar or different?
Most likely different guitars, I know that's not as fair or accurate but I just wouldn't have the time to keep pulling from the same guitar - Also, gives me a reason to buy more guitars 😅

Like I have $450.

You only need $100. Then you just ask Chef's parents for tree fiddy.

yBtkgGMf_400x400.jpg

Back