S2 - 'Dealer Orders'

Rebus

Odd question, ladies and gents.

I saw a poster on another guitar forum say the following:

"I made a discovery - you can dealer order S2s with core finishes and tops, and someone posted a mint one with a hard case for cheaper than what the normal ones are new"
Despite my reasonable PRS obsession. I've never heard of such a thing - and I'd be very interested in the idea.

Is this internet nonsense?

I know of dealer special finishes that are typically exclusives. I think the C & M shop in Louisiana has a few S2 mccarty's with core finishes...they charge higher for the privilege. I doubt a person like you or me could special order specific finishes for an S2 specifically thru a dealer.

Dealers have been able to get some specials on one-off finishes (at least one-off when applied to S2) and some other stuff like that. I think they get them by ordering several of them, so they’re often more of a special run than individual spec guitars. Or, sometimes they just let the sprayers go nuts.

If there’s something you want, never hurts to ask a dealer. There are some very good ones!

I think this might be more difficult as PRS attempts to catch up from Covid shortages. My dealer, a large PRS purveyor, told me I couldn’t get a headstock painted to match the body without going to “custom shop” status and doubling the cost of the instrument. I’m verifying that with support, but I’m thinking if core model one-offs are out, S2s are going to be in the same boat. If the dealer orders a bunch in a different spec, that might be another thing, though it wouldn’t seem they’d be cheaper than box-stock models.

I’ll let you know what support says when they respond.

I think this might be more difficult as PRS attempts to catch up from Covid shortages. My dealer, a large PRS purveyor, told me I couldn’t get a headstock painted to match the body without going to “custom shop” status and doubling the cost of the instrument. I’m verifying that with support, but I’m thinking if core model one-offs are out, S2s are going to be in the same boat. If the dealer orders a bunch in a different spec, that might be another thing, though it wouldn’t seem they’d be cheaper than box-stock models.

I’ll let you know what support says when they respond.

Just get a new Zack Myers! ;)

Yeah, it’s a no-go. Straight from the mothership: “Due to our extensive backorder, we are unable to handle special request that fall outside of the standard production options.”

Another thing Covid screwed up for the world.

There may be dealer runs, but that’s it.

Hey !

I think you guys just "answered " my quest (lust) for a S2 Mc Carty Thinline "Plus" (Same guitar, with a stripey flamed maple cap or veneer) Maybe if a dealer , like Sweetwater saw some market potential in it, it could come to light !

The points about Covid smacking up production are well taken. I had to wait 6 months from ordering my Thinline to get it delivered. AND , I think PRS demand is so high, that Pre Covid, they were in a backorder state. Covid only made things worse. And even today, I don't believe there are S2's hangin' around on walls waitin' to be bought. They look to be promised already.

But that's OK ! The next lust object is a SE Hollowbody II . So even if it takes awhile (and I'm still around and have $$$, ) I can wait a minute or two ...

Yeah, it’s a no-go. Straight from the mothership: “Due to our extensive backorder, we are unable to handle special request that fall outside of the standard production options.”

Another thing Covid screwed up for the world.

There may be dealer runs, but that’s it.

I got the same answer. Fall of 2019 I was going to do a special order sc 594 in Jet white with an ebony board. PRS emailed my dealer back and said it was no problem and the upcharge was very reasonable. I asked my dealer a couple months ago of I could still special order a 594 and the answer was not right now.

Ah OK, bummer! This'll be a 'wait till next year' thing then! Great answers all, thanks

Hey !

I think you guys just "answered " my quest (lust) for a S2 Mc Carty Thinline "Plus" (Same guitar, with a stripey flamed maple cap or veneer) Maybe if a dealer , like Sweetwater saw some market potential in it, it could come to light !

The points about Covid smacking up production are well taken. I had to wait 6 months from ordering my Thinline to get it delivered. AND , I think PRS demand is so high, that Pre Covid, they were in a backorder state. Covid only made things worse. And even today, I don't believe there are S2's hangin' around on walls waitin' to be bought. They look to be promised already.

But that's OK ! The next lust object is a SE Hollowbody II . So even if it takes awhile (and I'm still around and have $$$, ) I can wait a minute or two ...
I played a 335 exclusively for a couple of years. The SE Hollowbodies spank it and sent it home crying.

I know of dealer special finishes that are typically exclusives. I think the C & M shop in Louisiana has a few S2 mccarty's with core finishes...they charge higher for the privilege. I doubt a person like you or me could special order specific finishes for an S2 specifically thru a dealer.

This is definitely the case. I have a special dealer exclusive finish on my S2 594 McCarty from C&M. I believe I saw a few special one off finishes on CE's and S2 Custom 24's from a couple of other dealers whilst trolling Reverb recently.

This is definitely the case. I have a special dealer exclusive finish on my S2 594 McCarty from C&M. I believe I saw a few special one off finishes on CE's and S2 Custom 24's from a couple of other dealers whilst trolling Reverb recently.
Do you happen to have one of the Grandma Hannon Pink Metallic ones? I wish I would have nabbed with me of those when C&M had them.

right now they have an exclusive finish S2 594 thinline in champagne that’s really pretty.

Do you happen to have one of the Grandma Hannon Pink Metallic ones? I wish I would have nabbed with me of those when C&M had them.

right now they have an exclusive finish S2 594 thinline in champagne that’s really pretty.

No Grandma Hannon Pink. I think it's called Makena Blue Burst

Back