C&M Music - Core Models.

SamIV

Visited C&M Music in Kenner, LA today. They are a large PRS dealer. They have 4 locations. Had around 10 different core’s in stock. I played a DGT, 594 and a 509. All played well. Played a few S2’s as well. A 594 thin line, standard 24 and a couple others. They have what looks like around 20 different S2’s in stock.

Thing is, all the core’s were very nice looking, but I found the S2’s played every bit as good to me. Maybe I am not as skilled or technical a player to notice the difference. Some of the S2’s even had really nice tops for an S2. Found the core’s finishes were better though. And had better pickups as well. He had a few CE’s in stock also.

I was after something in 25” scale and 22 frets, but the only guitar he had that I liked was the DGT in a core model. It feels so similar to my S2’s. It is more than double the S2’s I played there. Have to decide if it’s worth that much more to me. I was considering selling a couple of my S2’s to help finance a DGT or a Studio. Now I am not sure. I know the core models do sound better Maybe upgrades in pickups might be in order.

Last edited:
I 100% echo your sentiments. I have a few S2's and Core models, and when it comes to playability, I couldn't pick one I like more than another, except maybe that I can get my AP 594 action lower (ridiculously low), but honestly also lower than I would actually want it. They're all set up pretty much the same.

The sound is what sets them apart. The Core models having more of the upper harmonics, which I'm sure is at least partly due to the pickups, and just clarity to the notes. I find myself always wanting the tone controls pretty close to 10 on my S2's, but on the Core models, I can set them almost all the way down and still get the fundamental "oomph" of the note and it doesn't get lost.

If you have some S2's already and can swing the price of a Core model, I think it's worth it. Not necessarily because the Core models are vastly better, they just do things a little differently, and the variety is a good thing. It's an effect that you just can't get in a cheaper build. There are instances where I still reach for my SE's and S2's, it's just about what I'm trying to achieve.

I can see your point andy474x about that little something extra on a core. I have a 98 CE 24 that has it, which from all I read were built on core principles. I need to bring one of my S2’s with me and compare it to the DGT I guess. I had to do zero fret work and nut work on my CE, but my SE’s and my S2’s required it. I have a method I use to do fret levels with strings under tension. I could get my string action extremely low even on my SE’s once I did the fret work.

I am a bit frugal, so it is hard for me to see the expenditure of a new core instrument. I had friend, who passed away recently, he built high end guitars. He would always tell me he could not even afford his own guitars. His personal guitars were his won guitars that came back with shipping damage he could not resell.

There is an attention to detail difference in the core models and a better finish. All you have to do is look at an S2 and you can scratch or chip it. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit. Even the finish on an SE is much more durable. There are also positive aspects of a thinner finish that I somewhat agree with. I have to come to the realization that to get past my S2 level, there will be a significant cost difference. Or be happy with my S2’s with upgraded pickups and other electrical components. Maybe my tight azz self will have an upgraded S2 Standard 22 to my own flavor of the Studio in my future.

Last edited:
I thought the reasoning behind coming out with the S2 line was to lower the price by mass producing the S2 line with a set list of features and colors, no changes or special orders. This lets the Maryland factory buy the S2 raw materials easier in bulk, same with the paint colors and crank out US built guitars very parallel to the "Core" build quality; but lower priced because they get the materials for less, have non-compound curve carved tops and don't have to spend time changing the features on the guitars while in production. In short, a much more simplified guitar line to manufacture, but still with the core PRS build quality and tone recipe. It sounds like many people here put the S2 line in the same category as the SE Imports (which set the high bar for everyone else's import build standards). The S2's are still a US built high quality instrument. Admittedly I have not done a deep dive on the differences since I've not been in the PRS buying market for a long while, I've settled on the three PRS I can live with (DGT, 594, McCarty) so there may be some hardware differences I'm not aware of, but would those differences be enough to cast them into second class PRS citizenship?

I thought the reasoning behind coming out with the S2 line was to lower the price by mass producing the S2 line with a set list of features and colors, no changes or special orders. This lets the Maryland factory buy the S2 raw materials easier in bulk, same with the paint colors and crank out US built guitars very parallel to the "Core" build quality; but lower priced because they get the materials for less, have non-compound curve carved tops and don't have to spend time changing the features on the guitars while in production. In short, a much more simplified guitar line to manufacture, but still with the core PRS build quality and tone recipe. It sounds like many people here put the S2 line in the same category as the SE Imports (which set the high bar for everyone else's import build standards). The S2's are still a US built high quality instrument. Admittedly I have not done a deep dive on the differences since I've not been in the PRS buying market for a long while, I've settled on the three PRS I can live with (DGT, 594, McCarty) so there may be some hardware differences I'm not aware of, but would those differences be enough to cast them into second class PRS citizenship?
I know the S2's use the imported "S" versions of pickups, rather than the USA made versions that are in the Core's. I'm not sure if there are other differences in the hardware & electronics used

I’ve always felt like the S2 line was a great way to get the heart and soul of PRS at a decent price. Yeah you get import hardware and pickups, but many of us tinker and swap most of that anyways.

I still agree with the statement that the S2 standard satin is the best bang for the buck guitar out there.

A non core guitar is a compromise on the tone and playability in some fashion. When Paul engineers guitars all the individual pieces are necessary parts of the whole as he intended.

By changing parts out it’s departing from the harmony of materials and know how that he’s spent a lifetime working on. The small things make a difference and i’d not consider changing the formula on a guitar.

Rather i’d just pick a different model where the formula suits me better.

S2 lines are great. Use the saved money to upgrade the electronics to your desire. Or if you feel the need to upgrade the import tremolo bridge.
I have two S2 guitars and really like both of them, but depending on how nuts you go with the upgrades, you very may end up amortizing the price of a Core guitar over the span of days/weeks/months, etc. I know that I've got nearly Core money into my S2 594 Singlecut and I'm not far off used Core money with my S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow. In any event, both are outstanding guitars and they keep up with my Core instruments without breaking a sweat. They do have a different feel, not better, not worse, just different. Same goes for the tones that they produce.

Maybe a heavily used core. But I’m personally not gonna do $1-3k upgrades to match core pricing (new or used). Of course if a used core is in good shape and heavily discounted I would lean toward that everyday!

Back