Is it possible to custom order prs S2 guitars with bird inlays

Ruben Bernard

The title kind of says it all. I've always just been really interested in the PRS custom order system, and was just curious if that was a feature. I know that originally all guitars were able to be ordered with or without birds as a choice. Though I know that probably isn't the case anymore, I was just wondering if that was a possibility.

a quick email inquiry to PRS will get you a definitive answer - they are good about getting back to you and you'll have a solid answer. Even just asking a good, local PRS dealer to check with their rep to find out for you will also get you an answer you can count on. I had a question on the 594 when it first came out, my local indie PRS dealer called their reps cell phone and got the answer right then and there. Here's the 594 that I got with the help of that call to the rep. It's Firmest Burgundy, a color from the mid-90's I've never seen on the 594 website page as being available for a 594.
LE5TTnk.jpg

Agreed. Usually only dealer runs. Call me crazy but I really like the smaller plastic birds on the Silver Sky. I think they are less in your face and classy. Even if they are only plastic

So, the little known thing about birds and dots on the S2’s is that, due to the material used for inlays on the S2’s, the guitars with dots are tonally superior.

Scientifically, when the size of the inlay exceeds a certain threshold, and due to the material density being lower than rosewood, a resonance differential is created when these two materials encounter a vibration but react to it differently. Several of these areas of resonance differential exist at vibrational peaks and nodes along the neck, because of where the inlays are positioned. As you may now be thinking, yes, the larger bird inlays exceed the threshold size for resonance differential, whereas the smaller dots do not.

Indeed, the laws of physics prove that dot inlays are tonally superior to birds, and you should seek a dot-inlay adorned S2.

Continue reading below for further important information.

The absurdity above is 100% false. But, it was said, so it will live in guitar forum lore as fact forever.

If it’s a vela with birds: one usually pops up online at least once a month. The vela is nice to buy used since it’s virtually unchanged since it’s initial release aside the birds to dots. They nailed it right from the start

Agreed. Usually only dealer runs. Call me crazy but I really like the smaller plastic birds on the Silver Sky. I think they are less in your face and classy. Even if they are only plastic
Not crazy. I agree. I like variety on my fret board though.

For PRS

No fret markers
30th birds
Abalone dots
Moons
MOP Dots
Clay Dots
White Birds
Dirty Birds
MOP Birds

My understanding is that the S2s a very much standardized to keep production costs down. Options are not offered on those guitars. I think the best you could hope for is a non-standard color if a dealer can talk PRS into it.

Yes originally all S2 guitars were available with the option of stock dots or upgrade to bird inlays for an extra charge but that was discontinued years ago.
Now with the exception of the Vela all New S2 Standard Models come with Dots only, All New Custom 24 & 594 Models come with Bird inlays only..

I like the dots on the S2 personally. I get the bird love though. Birds are one of several reasons I bought my SE as my first guitar. That and it plays great. And I always wanted to a dentist or a lawyer…. Ok the last bit is not true. I’m not emotionally equipped to repair a mouth, nor use mine as a weapon. (That’s not meant to be a slam against lawyers. I’m an engineer. I’m clearly not equipped to be a lawyer…)

Back