S2 Custom 24 question

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I'm strongly considering grabbing a used S2 Custom 24 from Reverb as soon as my strat sells. What year did they change the pickups to the 85/15s? They were HFSs and VBs before that, yes? The only S2 Custom I've played had the 85/15s, and I liked them enough that I don't think I'd need to change them, so looking for one with them...

Thanks!

I believe it was 2017. I had a 2014 that was a monster. It got sold because the neck angle wouldn’t let me set up the trem to go up a half step. I actually like the overseas vb/hfs combination and have it in a a 2015 SE Custom 24. I put covers on them, and the hfs clean sound is less brittle to my ears. I also have a 2018 S2 custom 24 with the 58/15’s. First guitar out of the house this week when I play.

I believe it was 2017. I had a 2014 that was a monster. It got sold because the neck angle wouldn’t let me set up the trem to go up a half step. I actually like the overseas vb/hfs combination and have it in a a 2015 SE Custom 24. I put covers on them, and the hfs clean sound is less brittle to my ears. I also have a 2018 S2 custom 24 with the 58/15’s. First guitar out of the house this week when I play.

Thanks! That's when I thought they switched.

A couple different S2 Cu24s on Reverb...most are 2016 or earlier, as I'm trying to come in on a budget...

FWIW a lot of people like the old pickups better. I'd say it's eeny meeny miny moe, pick whichever is the best deal and appeals to you the most overall.

S2s are great utility guitars and highly underrated IMO. If I was out gigging and not just noodling in the safety and comfort of my own man cave I'd go S2 all the way. They play as well as any core model, but any core model is also a magnet for mishaps as soon as it leaves the case :)

Back