S2 C24+57/08=SG (not a pop quiz) ;-)

Threepiece

Hey there,

So, A bit of a follow up for everyone who has been so kind helping with pickup choices and what have you. I got my 57's, installed them covered - tuned up struck a chord... and was puzzled. None of the 'warmth' everyone talks about, instead VERY serious treble. Articulate and pingy for sure, but mucho treble. God help me if I'd taken the covers off.

I'd previously replaced all the electronics with core - so that's not it. Anyway, I find a way to lower the bridge pup to the max (had to find some new screws - the included weren't long enough), turned everything back on, changed amp settings and STILL was puzzled. Interesting sound, but not the PAF-ish, 57 type warmth and clarity I hear in the vids I've seen.

So, i try playing some different little things. When I launch into Back in Black if find a perfect tone match with the record. Better than my GR emulator or anything else. It was sort of shocking.

So, I don't know if it's just the S2, or just mine, but for my situation at least, the equation is clear: S2 C24+57/08=SG ;-)

Only prob is - if I wanted an SG I'd have bought one. So, back to the drawing board.

Anyone else have the same experience? Any suggestions: I'm thinking of returning the 57s or putting them in an LP.

Be well everyone.

Hmmmm....mucho treble? I find them balanced across the tonal spectrum. They ARE clear and articulate, but - to my ears - not over-emphasized in the treble. I am trying to think of some advice.....

Let me let you hear one of mine. While it's not the greatest way to hear it, the best I can do is a video from practice the other night. This is my McCarty 58 with 57/08 pickups. Just for background, this is a first run through of a brand new song so it's not the greatest and it's just room sound, but it is me using some 57/08s....don't judge too harshly it is just a working demo.....

Hmmmm....mucho treble? I find them balanced across the tonal spectrum. They ARE clear and articulate, but - to my ears - not over-emphasized in the treble. I am trying to think of some advice.....

Let me let you hear one of mine. While it's not the greatest way to hear it, the best I can do is a video from practice the other night. This is my McCarty 58 with 57/08 pickups. Just for background, this is a first run through of a brand new song so it's not the greatest and it's just room sound, but it is me using some 57/08s....don't judge too harshly it is just a working demo.....

Hey, that's totally cool of you - thanks. Cool sound with your MC. Yeah, I'm not there yet. ;-) Keep rockin!

How does the guitar sound unplugged? My S2 Satin 22 is surprisingly bright for an all-hog guitar, although not unpleasantly so.

Also what kind of strings are you using? If you're not using pure nickel, definitely try a set as they're less harsh and treble-y. Always my first go to for this kind of problem!

How does the guitar sound unplugged? My S2 Satin 22 is surprisingly bright for an all-hog guitar, although not unpleasantly so.

Also what kind of strings are you using? If you're not using pure nickel, definitely try a set as they're less harsh and treble-y. Always my first go to for this kind of problem!
It's a resonant guitar - I can feel it in my chest even unplugged but I don't know how to characterize the unplugged sound. I always play with D'Adarrio 9s. I thought I'd put on some 10s today to see if that matters. I have a pack of Gilmour 10.5 boomers around here somewhere as well. If my change doesn't work I'll go grab some pure nickel as you suggest.

Be well.

What's happening to the sound if you coil-tap the pickups?

I'd like to know as well. You're 100% sure you wired them correctly? I'm wondering if what you're hearing is the split sound. The 57/08s have a thick midrange, too much for my taste (I like a scooped EQ) in the neck especially. I'm curious to know what the resistance measure shows on a multimeter.

I'll check the multi later. Definitely wired right - coil taps sound like - well, coil tapped humbuckers (lower output, less of a 'full bodied' sound, maybe a bit strat-like). Good thoughts. Thanks! I'm loath to mess with them too much. If they were cheaper I'd replace the magnets to try to hone in on the 'right' one, but at $210 each (my birthday present to myself) - they should just sing on their own. Will likely send them back.

You folks have been really great - thank you!

Hey there,

So, A bit of a follow up for everyone who has been so kind helping with pickup choices and what have you. I got my 57's, installed them covered - tuned up struck a chord... and was puzzled. None of the 'warmth' everyone talks about, instead VERY serious treble. Articulate and pingy for sure, but mucho treble. God help me if I'd taken the covers off.

I'd previously replaced all the electronics with core - so that's not it. Anyway, I find a way to lower the bridge pup to the max (had to find some new screws - the included weren't long enough), turned everything back on, changed amp settings and STILL was puzzled. Interesting sound, but not the PAF-ish, 57 type warmth and clarity I hear in the vids I've seen.

So, i try playing some different little things. When I launch into Back in Black if find a perfect tone match with the record. Better than my GR emulator or anything else. It was sort of shocking.

So, I don't know if it's just the S2, or just mine, but for my situation at least, the equation is clear: S2 C24+57/08=SG ;-)

Only prob is - if I wanted an SG I'd have bought one. So, back to the drawing board.

Anyone else have the same experience? Any suggestions: I'm thinking of returning the 57s or putting them in an LP.

Be well everyone.

Understand, I mean no offense.

But I think you're trying to hard. Ease up on the gain, eq to taste. Focus on feel, the tone thing will work itself out.

I understand careers have been made off those tone seekers who need the correct finish thickness to reach nirvana, but if you're wanting to get GnR out of an S2, you're most likely more practical than that.

To be safe though, does the tone & volume knob act as expected when you fiddle with them?

Changed my strings to 10s. Definitely took the sting out. Still think they are a poor choice for me. Let's see how Amazon does with pickup returns.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Magnets are A2, so I don't think you'll have any luck darkening them up with a swap.

Food for thought: if you're getting a perfect Angus tone, doesn't that mean they're nailing the PAF tone?
You and RevBilly point (indirectly) to what is perhaps the bigger issue - either not knowing exactly what I want, or more likely, not knowing how to reconcile that with what I'm hearing. I guess I was a bit taken by the notion of trying to get a 'true' PRS type sound - with a classic vibe. So, after endless research I went with (quite expensive for me) 57's thinking it would get me the sound I want. Perhaps I did and don't know it. I suspect a more experienced person would say 'um, yeah, that's what they sound like alright.' :) But, the bigger issue is much simpler - do they please me. The answer is no, so I'll keep scrounging till I find some that do. Thanks again for your thoughts - much appreciated.

This might be a dumb question, but:

Have you directly compared the S2 in its new configuration with a known existing guitar through the exact same amp that does get you the tone you are looking for?

If you are chasing a tone and you don't even know if the rest of your rig is capable of producing it, you might never catch it.

Smart thinking!

It's funny, I spent about 2 hours last night going through various permutations with some modeling software I have to answer this exact issue. What it comes down to is actually 'does the dry sound feel right?' I think for me, either it sings or it doesn't. My best sounding guitar is a 1980 Memphis that my brother got at a garage sale for $5. Somehow, It has original Bill Lawrence Humbuckers. It has this beautiful tone when clean. I replaced those with the pups that came with my S2 (I'd changed the magnets) in part to see if it was the guitar or the pups. If anything, it sounds even better now (that sweet sound like the Broadcaster Mike Cambell uses in Boy's of Summer.) Problem is the neck is goofy and basically irreplaceable - it's an off size and thickness and even Warmoth said, 'Sorry.'

This whole exercise has actually been good. It's making me think more about what the hell it is I think I'm trying to get with this guitar. I think I may change it up and get some metal pups and turn this into my 'modern' guitar. The neck is fast and the trem is perfect - it's well suited for it. As for the other tone, I should just buy a epi es-335 and that will get me my 'Villa Strangiato' Alex Lifeson tone (which I figured last night is what I'm actually going for).

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Be well.

Initially, when I got my SC245 57/08 Ltd I was surprised that the sound was what it was. I was used `to the S2 #7 pickups, which responded in a similar way I was used to hearing. At first I was a bit bummed because I was expecting the SC245 to sound like my friend's early 90s Les Paul Classic - thick, fat and crispy. It didn't. The 57/08s seemed thin and weak - almost twangy...like an overwound tele. I LOVED the feel of the instrument, but wasn't sure of the sound. However, I wasn't going to change it since it was expensive (at a certain price I refuse to mod a guitar - it needs to be "perfect" as is to justify the price). It took a bit of time - maybe a week - before the pickups started to grow on me. What I came to realize is that the PRS guitar is never gonna cop the exact tone of another instrument. It's gonna do it's own thing....

What I ended up doing was just play it. I tweaked the amp for the guitar. The 57/08 is just such balanced pickup. Yeah, there seems (to my ears) to be some "twang" but the overall tone is very smooth.

What initially made you unhappy about the stock pickups in your S2? I have two S2s and even though the pickups are made in Korea they seem perfectly voiced for the instrument. I might be a little bit different, but I try not to significantly mod my instruments. I try to hear where the instrument lives in the tonal spectrum and I determine if I have use for that "color". Sometimes I have use, other times not - so I return or trade the guitar for another.

You mentioned trying to get a "true" PRS sound. The S2 CU24 does have a true PRS sound. It's not a PRS sound I care for - I don't like the HFS/Vintage Bass, and surprisingly I am not a fan of the 85/15 pickups. I like the #7, the 57/08, and (if lowered a bit) the Dragon II, as long as it is in a set neck guitar. I've had CE22s with Dragon IIs and I HATE them (weird, huh).

I hope you get it figured out. The PRS S2 guitars are excellent...

The pups on my S2 sounded flat to me - no resonance, compressed spectrum kind of thing. So, first I changed strings, then pots and wiring, then magnets, only now going to new pups. But, like you, it plays beautifully. It just feels like such a quality instrument. I seem to mod most everything - the exception being my MIA strat - it has an active DG20 setup that's just right, so I don't touch it.

This is a really cool forum.

Take care.

Check the wiring scheme and capacitor. A lot of pup personality adjustment is available with just a cap change. And a pot value change - even a small one - can make a big difference.

Back