S2 594 - Installing Phase 3 Tuners

How much are the vintage tuner imprints bothering you? I want to go to Phase 3 on my Core 2020 594 and my 2020 S2 594, but I am fairly convinced the imprints would destroy me via OCD.

I am a little worried that the imprints would bring out my OCD as well. I may just keep the stock tuners on my S2 594. Another option I was considering was to use Silver Sky locking tuners. I did a quick comparison with calipers and the post diameters and the tuner back covers appear to match. Before I order a set, I am going to try a tuner or two off of my Silver Sky during the next concurrent string change.

I am a little worried that the imprints would bring out my OCD as well. I may just keep the stock tuners on my S2 594. Another option I was considering was to use Silver Sky locking tuners. I did a quick comparison with calipers and the post diameters and the tuner back covers appear to match. Before I order a set, I am going to try a tuner or two off of my Silver Sky during the next concurrent string change.

Would be really interested to know if this works, especially if you can change the tuner buttons to something else. From the grey plastic to stainless or faux bone.

Would be really interested to know if this works, especially if you can change the tuner buttons to something else. From the grey plastic to stainless or faux bone.
Unfortunately, I believe the Silver Sky buttons are molded so I don't think you can change them. You would have to take into consideration how the grey buttons would match up with the 594's finish. I will post an update when I change strings but probably won't be for a few weeks.

You can always go with the Vintage Locking tuners at..Stew mac, John Mann's? They look exactly the same as the S2 594 tuners but drilled from the back/bottom for the lock mechanism. I didn't like the look and feel of the vintage tuners at all, hence the Phase 3 for me.

Good to know. I didn't think about looking through John Mann's options. Yes, I agree, I like the look and feel of the Phase 3 tuners better. And now after reviewing your photographs again, I think I can live with the hardly noticeable indents. I hardly look back there anyway, haha. And "IF" I were to ever sell my S2 594, which is highly unlikely, I could just throw the original vintage tuners back on to get it back to stock. Anyway, thanks for this thread and photos. Cheers!

How much are the vintage tuner imprints bothering you? I want to go to Phase 3 on my Core 2020 594 and my 2020 S2 594, but I am fairly convinced the imprints would destroy me via OCD.

Here's what it looks like on my Core 594. You can definitely see them, but I never look at the back of my headstock, so my OCD is under control.

VBvFWEr.jpg

Great upgrade. However I'd like to know who made those stock vintage tuners. Did you see a Gotoh logo (G symbol) underneath the mounting plates?

Great upgrade. However I'd like to know who made those stock vintage tuners. Did you see a Gotoh logo (G symbol) underneath the mounting plates?
There is a odd marking on the back of them. With limited choices on the keyboard to duplicate it, it looks kinda like this....

/
| U
\

or

____
| U
____

Two attempts. The one on the top, angle the slashes down (top) and up (bottom) at about a 30 degree angle. The one on the bottom, angle the horizontal lines at about 30 degrees, away from the U

There is a odd marking on the back of them. With limited choices on the keyboard to duplicate it, it looks kinda like this....

/
| U
\

or

____
| U
____

Two attempts. The one on the top, angle the slashes down (top) and up (bottom) at about a 30 degree angle. The one on the bottom, angle the horizontal lines at about 30 degrees, away from the U

Here's a bottom pic of the ones I removed, weird marking indeed!

zSw2G8U.jpg

Thanks guy!
Errrr, I haven't seen this (manufacturer?) logo either... Earlier I thought Gotoh makes 594's new tuners for PRS, but now it seems I might be wrong.

You guys know there are now Phase 3 “vintage” locking tuners, right? That’s what I put on my 594. They’re the same as the vintage tuners but with the locking shaft like the Phase 3. I had my dealer order them from PRS.

Yep, I didn't like the plastic tuner pegs hence Phase 3 for me. The gold is more elegant and thats like, just my opinion man. (Dudeist statement)
Yeah I get that. Just posting for the folks who want locking but don’t want to deal with the leftover impressions you’d see changing to regular Phase 3.

Here's a bottom pic of the ones I removed, weird marking indeed!

zSw2G8U.jpg
After looking carefully in different angles, I can say that this logo is ‘HC’ which stands for ’Han Chang’ - a Korean parts manufacturer for SE, S2 and current CE24 lines. The stamping on your 594 wasn’t pressed hard enough so the logo isn’t visible fully.

Look at my SE locking tuner for HC logo reference. You need to rotate 90 degrees clockwise to match the placement angle in your photo.

2nZSTil.jpg

But this leads to another question; are those vintage tuners installed on current core 594 made by the same Korean manufacturer?

Back