S2 594 - Installing Phase 3 Tuners

I recently played both an S2 and core 594 at a local dealer, the tuners looked and felt identical. Obviously I didn’t pull them off to check the markings lol.

I recently played both an S2 and core 594 at a local dealer, the tuners looked and felt identical. Obviously I didn’t pull them off to check the markings lol.

I own a 2020 Core 594 SC and a S2 2020 594 SC and that's my experience as well. Look, feel, everything is the same with the tuners. I would be surprised if they were from different sources. Now that PRS has launched locking tuners with the vintage footprint, I'll be installing those on both.

I did. See post #33. I didn't post a picture, but tried to use what was available on the keyboard. They are off of my 2020 Core DC-594
The logo you saw is HC, standing for Han Chang, Korean parts manufacturer for SE and S2.

I thought yours was S2 594, but now it appears to be core. So this means the current core 594 guitars are using Korean made tuners.

The logo you saw is HC, standing for Han Chang, Korean parts manufacturer for SE and S2.

I thought yours was S2 594, but now it appears to be core. So this means the current core 594 guitars are using Korean made tuners.
Yep, looks that way.

Wow. :(
I’m sure they’re decent enough tuners or PRS wouldn’t spec them.
But, damn, for the cost of a core guitar, you expect better.

Wow. :(
I’m sure they’re decent enough tuners or PRS wouldn’t spec them.
But, damn, for the cost of a core guitar, you expect better.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure their fine but come on.

Ha ha ha, exactly...
At first I was shock as I learnt from Bodia that his was a Core 594. But yeah, I have to accept the truth...

Shouldn’t be shocking. They had many different import versions on the Cores for years.

"PRS Designed Tuners" are the key statement here. Like others have said they aren't the only USA company doing this. I can't remember what it was but I recall there was a product that all the parts were Designed in America, parts made somewhere else but the entire thing was Assembled in America.

I wish I could remember what that company that was. Anyway the tuners are fine no matter where they are made. Like, where are the Phase 3 made, man? They are kick ass as I have said before.

"PRS Designed Tuners" are the key statement here. Like others have said they aren't the only USA company doing this. I can't remember what it was but I recall there was a product that all the parts were Designed in America, parts made somewhere else but the entire thing was Assembled in America.

I wish I could remember what that company that was. Anyway the tuners are fine no matter where they are made. Like, where are the Phase 3 made, man? They are kick ass as I have said before.

Shinola watches? They used to say Made in America but it was ruled they couldn't be labeled as such due to overseas parts (including the swiss parts). They are now "Built in Detroit". It's interesting and has affected some guitars. I think it's Fender that changed something about USA on it's headstock for a guitar. I can't recall now. I think about the Shinola case often when looking or reading about guitars, look at the S2 for example.

Last edited:
Are the newer ones on that same level? I don’t think so. I’ve found them adequate, at best.

That may be more because of the design than the build quality. Kluson style tuners are different.

I don’t know about where other competitors got their tuners from, but for core PRS, HC vintage tuners means ‘change’. This tuner is taken out from a ‘06 Singlecut 10 top by a friend of mine to take some photos for me. You can clearly see there’s ’JAPAN’ stamped underneath which I think it was made by Gotoh.

PRS has been hiring Gotoh to make late Phase II and current Phase III lockers, of that I know, PRS tuners aren’t made on American soil.

The point here is ‘why change?’ I think HC tuners are fine in terms of functionality. And think that PRS has some good reasons behind this - maybe the new CAB finish costs they more so it’s necessary to change tuners manufacturer from Japan to Korea? I don’t know. No matter what it really is, I think we consumers have the rights to know and discuss the specs changes. But how one would perceive, it’s totally individual opinions.

My opinion towards this 2020 594? Despite being disappointed with tuners change, I would buy the guitar anyway. I’ve been using PRS guitars for more than a decade and still having trust in their guitars. And I don’t mind swapping out some parts too.;)

z3AiWPC.jpg

Last edited:
Back