Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voting 2013

You didn't take it disrespectfully because, had you made the comment, you wouldn't have intended it to be disrespectful. That's because you're a nice guy, Kerry. :biggrin: The "I mean, 80s metal? OK, I guess, if you're stuck in a middle school time warp (kidding, sorta ;))." comment was intended to be a jab and was mean-spirited with a passive-aggressive wink at the end. To quote Doc Holiday, "I'm your huckleberry."

Well why don't you just ask me what I meant, since I actually know the answer? It should be pretty obvious to you that I was being openly sarcastic. If you think that's mean-spirited, fine. I think you have too thin a skin for a bad-ass metalhead.

If you'd like a clearer statement than mere sarcasm, I'll go there:

I expressed a dislike for metal because I think the lyrical subject matter is often childish. I believe that it is meant to appeal to (and exploit) middle school and high school adolescent males (hey, I'm not a fan of other genres that do that, either). This is especially true of some of the earlier bands, like Black Sabbath.

I would guess that there are plenty of well-meaning people who would disagree with me. I accept that.

I do like the playing and the part-writing I'm hearing from modern metal bands. Put more simply, metal bands often have virtuosic guitar players, superb drummers, and excellent bass playing. I don't think this was the case in the early days.

Speaking of passive-aggressive, how about referring to my post as "mean spirited" in a reply to someone else, without saying it to me directly, Huckleberry?

I don't have an avatar as aggressively angry as yours, unfortunately, but I love this photo because I think it's wonderfully hilarious:

We all are musicians and should respect each other for that commonality...regardless of our different tastes...
....I don't care if you can play one daym note on your instrument...if you do it in an inspiring way...well then you should be supported in that effort.

Actually, this is very true, and something I should have thought about before being sarcastic about metal.

In view of your well-reasoned argument, I will no longer diss the genre.

Last edited:
Well why don't you just ask me what I meant, since I actually know the answer? It should be pretty obvious to you that I was being openly sarcastic.

If you'd like a clearer statement than mere sarcasm, I'll go there:

I don't care for metal because I think the lyrical subject matter is often childish. I believe that it is meant to appeal to middle schoolers and high schoolers (like a lot of other kinds of music, hey, I'm not a fan of Katie Perry, either).

I do like the playing and the part-writing I'm hearing from modern metal bands. Put more simply, metal bands often have virtuosic guitar players, superb drummers, and excellent bass playing. I don't think this was the case in the early days.

Straightforward enough for ya?

I needed a huckleberry. Glad you're mine.

C'mon, Les! I can't respond if you keep updating your post! We both love 408 pickups and 'Kind of Blue'. Let's be the beacons of compromise and civility and find some common ground.

C'mon, Les! I can't respond if you keep updating your post! We both love 408 pickups and 'Kind of Blue'. Let's be the beacons of compromise and civility and find some common ground.

A capital idea!

We share a lot of good things, foremost among them, passion for music. I'm in. When we meet, the beer/food's on me. :shakehands:

Interesting comments in this thread. I actually looked at the poll in a"music" hall of fame light and voted for the artists that I thought were the most original and influential even if their respective genres were not really rock. NWA and Nirvana, Cat Stevens, PBBB and YES from my point of view.

The R&RHoF, just like the Grammy awards, the Oscars, the Emmys, the CMA, C&D's Car if the Year, or any other 'recognition' or 'award' where 'experts' vote on the recipients, hold no interest for me beyond mild curiosity. I don't need and don't want anyone else to tell me what is good or cool. I'm old enough and self-aware enough to know what floats my boat and what doesn't.

So, I tend to look at these things as pointers to things I may not have tried in my own. But I'll decide for myself whether of not they deserve the hype.

I was a "new-waver" in middle-school, I guess I missed all the fun... but the girls liked my asymmetrical hair.

Yesterday, I refereed a U10 soccer game. A boy had a spiked mohawk. While the guy who centered was giving instructions, I pointed to his hair and gave him a thumbs up.

Gotta support the tribe...

Pfft. I'm so 9-5 it's silly. Short hair. Slacks. Dress shirts. I cut loose with crazy socks though.

With all due respect, how many of those objecting to my version of this history were around in 1968-70, the period we're discussing?

I was in college at the time, playing in working bands, and paying very serious attention to what was happening in music.

I'm just wondering where people who object to my recollections are getting their information from, whether it's first-hand, etc.

PS - I loved Steppenwolf.

Finally, one doesn't have to be a fan of a style of music (i.e. "leave it to those who like it or know it") to understand the historical and musicological context in which the music arose, to remember the critical reaction to it, to be able to play it, or to express an opinion on it.

As a person who has composed and produced music in every style from orchestral (including conducting orchestral sessions for live recordings), to rock, to jazz, to rap, to electronica, to dance, and even to metal (yes, I've done that, written it, played it, recorded it. and made some very nice dough doing so), please don't assume that I'm ignorant of your favorite style just because you like it better.

Knowing about something often has very little to do with liking something. To suggest that one has to somehow be a fan of something to understand how it works, or to have to be "qualified" by fandom to render an opinion, is ludicrous.

Example: Does a person have to be a communist or be a fan of communism in order to express an opinion on communism? (And no, I'm not equating metal to communism, so don't go out on that limb).

You want to argue facts, fine. I'm prepared to do that. You want to argue about the sophistication of early metal lyrics, upon which my criticism is based, fine, I can do that intelligently. You want to tell me who the primary fans of early metal music were, fine, but I have a very good memory and know the answer.

But to challenge the opinions I expressed on the basis of my not being a fan of the genre is pure BS.

REALLY. how can you discuss ANYTHING with someone who know's EVERYTHING!

RRHOF gained back a bit of respect last year with the induction of RUSH and of course Heart. My votes this year....Yes isn't already in? Kiss isn't already in? Deep Purple isn't already in? OK, two more...Peter Gabriel is a legend so he gets my vote...and I guess Nirvana , while they were very short lived, there's no question they had a huge influence (good or bad) on music and Dave Grohl would give an awesome speech.

Good deal for Kiss. That article has some B.S. in it for sure though. Instead of saying notable acts that did not make it were YES and Deep Purple, they chose to mention lesseer known acts that were passed over. I guess they don't want to embarass themselves for the bullcrap the hall of fame is.

Back