Replacing 5 way rotary

ProgRocker

I have a beautiful 93 CE 24 with the 5 way rotary. Has anyone successfully replaced the rotary with a 6 way toggle switch ?
I'm very concerned with making any changes unless I know it will work correctly.

I have replaced a 5-way rotary with a 3-way toggle on my 97 CE 24. It requires making the hole the switch shaft goes through a tiny bit larger. I think I just carefully sanded the edges of the hole until the toggle shaft fit through. I have since replaced the toggle with a rotary and it works fine, so the change wasn't "irreversible" in that sense.

I have also replaced a 3-way toggle with a 6-way toggle on a different guitar. No need to adjust the size of the hole for that swap.

So, my guess is you'll have to make the hole a little bigger for the 6-way after you remove the rotary, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. As far as the 6-way toggle working, I just followed the soldering instructions that came with the switch and it works properly. The switch I have gets all 5 of the rotary combinations plus both humbuckers together.

I have replaced a 5-way rotary with a 3-way toggle on my 97 CE 24. It requires making the hole the switch shaft goes through a tiny bit larger. I think I just carefully sanded the edges of the hole until the toggle shaft fit through. I have since replaced the toggle with a rotary and it works fine, so the change wasn't "irreversible" in that sense.

I have also replaced a 3-way toggle with a 6-way toggle on a different guitar. No need to adjust the size of the hole for that swap.

So, my guess is you'll have to make the hole a little bigger for the 6-way after you remove the rotary, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. As far as the 6-way toggle working, I just followed the soldering instructions that came with the switch and it works properly. The switch I have gets all 5 of the rotary combinations plus both humbuckers together.

Thanks for the reply TFC. How do you find the 6-way, have you had any concerns with it so far ?
And why did you go back to the rotary from the 3-way ?

The 6-way works as advertised and I haven't had any problems with it. You can get to each sound a little faster than with the rotary.

On the guitar that I reverted to the rotary, I did that because I wanted the parallel sounds instead of the normal split coil/McCarty switching sounds. Different needs for different bands.

Thanks for the reply TFC. How do you find the 6-way, have you had any concerns with it so far ?
And why did you go back to the rotary from the 3-way ?
He forgot to respond to your first question. Free-way has a 6-way toggle switch. They are easy to install, I have them on several of my guitars. They also make a 6-way blade switch too.

He forgot to respond to your first question. Free-way has a 6-way toggle switch. They are easy to install, I have them on several of my guitars. They also make a 6-way blade switch too.

Thanks Ruffone, the Free-Way was the one I was thinking of. Though I was concerned about the quality, as I didn't know anyone who had one installed. I love my 93' but the rotary is a problem.

Thanks Ruffone, the Free-Way was the one I was thinking of. Though I was concerned about the quality, as I didn't know anyone who had one installed. I love my 93' but the rotary is a problem.
Any time. I’ve used them on several of my PRS guitars and I use them on all of my guitars that I build, I have yet to get a bad one or have any go bad on me. The quality is definitely top notch.

Back