The ole 5-way rotary sw....Has it been relegated to history's dust bin?

It’s just not functional for live use. There is no discernible visual way to tell what position you’re in other than playing a note and the movement to change the knob position isn’t as fluid or affirmative as a switch. Ergonomically it’s one of the worst systems. For those reasons I don’t see it coming back.

It’s just not functional for live use. There is no discernible visual way to tell what position you’re in other than playing a note and the movement to change the knob position isn’t as fluid or affirmative as a switch. Ergonomically it’s one of the worst systems. For those reasons I don’t see it coming back.
Eggs Actly.

I Have One Guitar With The 5 Way Rotary Switch And I Am Torn On Keeping It Stock. I Enjoy The Tonal Options But I Never Know Where I Am At When In The Heat Of The Moment And Making Changes. If I Have To Do So Quickly It Is Distracting And Frustrating. If I Am Simply Noodling Around It Is Less Problematic.

My attitude is that you’re only one click away from a humbucker or single coil sound. I had 57/08’s and a 5 way put in my 2003 Custom 22. I’m very happy with it gigging and always get tone compliments when I play it.

I play with my ears, not my eyes. I don't have to look at the switch to know what position it is in. I have been playing these guitars since 1988, all with a rotary. Live and in the studio, and they are more than functional. They are reliable and consistent. Every position clicks into place as needed and doesn't accidently get bumped into another position during a performance or session.
I understand that the switches have undergone some changes since the 80's , but, the feel and tones are still there.
I'm thinking that a lot of current PRS players came from another brand that had traditional switching options, so the rotary is foreign and scary to them. I adopted PRS as my brand early on, while having Strats and Les Pauls in my harem. PRS just felt "right" and so, I got rid of the others and started my collection.

I play with my ears, not my eyes. I don't have to look at the switch to know what position it is in. I have been playing these guitars since 1988, all with a rotary. Live and in the studio, and they are more than functional. They are reliable and consistent. Every position clicks into place as needed and doesn't accidently get bumped into another position during a performance or session.
I understand that the switches have undergone some changes since the 80's , but, the feel and tones are still there.
I'm thinking that a lot of current PRS players came from another brand that had traditional switching options, so the rotary is foreign and scary to them. I adopted PRS as my brand early on, while having Strats and Les Pauls in my harem. PRS just felt "right" and so, I got rid of the others and started my collection.
I’m not scared by the rotary. It’s just not as good as a switch.

And I’d prefer to know what sound I’m going to make before I make it and without having to fidget with a control.

That being said, I’m glad it works for you.

I love my 5 way rotary. I always know where I am at with it I guess because the music I play often is fast paced. Usually I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing in a song so I know where I went. Playing special part..twist knob.....annnnndd....back to the bridge pickup/neck pickup. lol.

Rotary and wings...that's where it's at!

I've been a fan. Never got used to the mechanics. Might have liked it better if it took less physical effort to turn, and if i could ever visually determine which position it was in. Despite all that, i still have an '07 Cu24 and and '09 Cu22 stoptail. :p

My recent 2023 mfr'd core model acquisitions have me questioning if I should put my well used old friend in a 2007 EXP CU24 back to the way it was designed.

vve0Ser.jpg

Got it used back in 2009. Put a 5-way rotary PU select sw in it because that is how my last CU24's (long gone) came back in the early 90's. Kinda silly isn't it?

Are the 5 sw's a thing with anyone anymore?

I'm thinking they aren't.

I welcome your comments.
Sorry for my ignorance here, but what does “mfr’d” mean?

That green is so nice, especially with the matching headstock and dark natural back. Wow.

I’m a fan of the 5 way in my CE24, but I also like my CU22 that was converted to a toggle and push/pull. I’ve thought about restoring it to a 5 way, but I’m so happy with it as is that I probably will just leave it it alone.

Yeah - I’m pretty sure that PRS is done with the rotary for any production models. But I’d love it if they reintroduced a Core Standard with it as well as moon inlays.

Back