Removing A Signature..

S

slang05

Looking to pick up a Custom 22 here in a few days (as soon as I can arrange the meet) and I am wondering how to remove a signature from the guitar. More specifically the TO JOHN.

8282478199_f19f679fd6_z.jpg

It looks like it was done with a paint pen which may complicate things. I don't want to remove Paul's signature, just the TO JOHN..

Any ideas without hurting the actual finish on the guitar?

Fingernail polish will dissolve the gold ink but I have no idea what it would do to the finish. Perhaps try a test spot in the neck cavity?

Yeah, thats a good idea. I thought I would start small with like water and see if it did anything and then work my way up to like Windex and other real gentle cleaners. The guitar also has some corrosion on the pick up covers..Any good ideas to shine those up? I've always used chrome polish and it doesn't do much.

If you try nail polish remover, I would steer clear of anything with acetone in it. That, I'm pretty sure, would do some damage. Another thing to think about is using a razor blade IF you have a very, very steady hand. Remove the tuners and lay the blade close to flat, and very carefully take the name off. Or, if you want it done best... PTC. :)

LOL, probably not. I hope I can remove it in a way to save Paul's signature..Its a catch 22..would I want all of it or none of it? Probably none..but it would be cool to have his signature on it

There's this stuff called goo gone that I have used on wood to remove fingernail polish. Works like a charm but not sure what it would do tobthe finish... I would probably use Q tips and go super slow whichever route you take...

Well he dripped nail polish remover on the top....and then figured what the hell and proceeded to unburst the clown burst to a vintage yellow.

I wonder where Al is - he was cool and I thought that VY DGT turned out amazing!

Use Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream for the varnished pickup covers - works great!

There's this stuff called goo gone that I have used on wood to remove fingernail polish. Works like a charm but not sure what it would do tobthe finish... I would probably use Q tips and go super slow whichever route you take...

I've used googone on guitars before, works good. That is one I was planning on trying.

I'd just leave it alone. It's part of the history of the instrument. And you know Paul himself wrote "TO JOHN" on it, so that must make it super awesome, right? Plus there's that squiggle under the name that goes through the P and R so it might look a bit weird if you take the name off. And then there's always a chance that you slip and eff up Paul's sig...

Back