relic Silver Sky

The relicing isn't done too badly, but I'm confused by the stark white pickguard and knobs as well as the shiny metal hardware. I used to react pretty negatively to the entire 'manufactured wear' idea, but my cousin has a Fender Roadworn bass that is supremely comfortable, so I can see the benefit of wearing off some of the harder edges.

The relicing isn't done too badly, but I'm confused by the stark white pickguard and knobs as well as the shiny metal hardware. I used to react pretty negatively to the entire 'manufactured wear' idea, but my cousin has a Fender Roadworn bass that is supremely comfortable, so I can see the benefit of wearing off some of the harder edges.
Think of it as more of a "redeemed relic," a guitar that was recently acquired by gentler hands and has had some restoration work done. I have a '69 Strat relic and that 408 Standard relic, and I could swear that both are them are the most lively of the lot. Perhaps, breaking up the finish allows the guitar to breathe in ways that stiffer newer finish can't.

So, any of the relic haters mind that PRS makes guitars to feel like well worn-in instruments? "The feel of a guitar that's been played for 30-40 years". Is that somehow different, somehow honest wear?

I ask because my favorite part of a relic is the feel, and I think that a tastefully done relic job looks pretty awesome too.

It isn't about lying, it's about emulating guitar heroes like SRV, Clapton, Mayer, etc, with their worn guitars. I certainly would love to own any of these famous guitars. ;)

I kinda felt the same way when jeans started coming out in faded/stone washed/acid washed/pre-worn, when we all had "earned" the wear in our jeans, and how dare these young poser punks pretend like they have "honest" wear in their jeans. Then I realized that they just wanted to look cool like they thought we looked. :cool:

I love the look of a bit of wear on a vintage type guitar. I'm not quite sure how I feel about relicing a new guitar though. I'd prefer the wear to accumulate naturally - that's why I like nitro finishes and nickel hardware over poly and chrome - they age more authentically.

But there's no doubt that some of the reliced guitars look cool. My favorite are the gibson VOS (virtual old stock) finishes - not bashed around and beaten up picking up battle scars they haven't earned, they just look old!

36740849171_142206b41e_o.jpg

So, any of the relic haters mind that PRS makes guitars to feel like well worn-in instruments? "The feel of a guitar that's been played for 30-40 years". Is that somehow different, somehow honest wear?

I ask because my favorite part of a relic is the feel, and I think that a tastefully done relic job looks pretty awesome too.

It isn't about lying, it's about emulating guitar heroes like SRV, Clapton, Mayer, etc, with their worn guitars. I certainly would love to own any of these famous guitars. ;)

I kinda felt the same way when jeans started coming out in faded/stone washed/acid washed/pre-worn, when we all had "earned" the wear in our jeans, and how dare these young poser punks pretend like they have "honest" wear in their jeans. Then I realized that they just wanted to look cool like they thought we looked. :cool:

I think there is a big difference between rolled fretboard edges to make an instrument feel much more comfortable and ready to play. If anything, its just a set-up step that a company like PRS goes to the trouble of doing for its customers as part of the same service as rounding of the fret ends - they aren't sanding down the finish to make something new look old and, if anything, PRS do the opposite - make their guitars look new for much longer, build the instruments to last 'generations' etc.

Jeans are also a different thing. Fashion is a fad, a trend that is here today gone tomorrow and seasonal. Fashion is virtually throwaway too. If the 'cool' look is to have worn out jeans, the kids go to a store and pay extra to have a pair of worn out jeans and, at the end of the season, they are out of fashion, barely holding together so throwaway. If the 'fashion' is to wear them with their backside hanging out, they did that too but doesn't mean that's 'right' or that it should apply to musical instruments - not unless you are saying that these 'trashed' guitars are fashion and that they are now throwaway items because they are worn out before they even get bought.

The reason we had holey jeans was because we weren't part of the throwaway culture, we didn't have money to waste on new clothes when they could be patched up and get a few more wears out of them and the same went for guitars too. It wasn't as if the artists could have a new guitar every month or two and a lot of artists were buying used and touring them, patching them up between gigs and playing the hell out of them.

Relic finish looks strange on a PRS. I have a old CE from 95 bought used. It has been played a lot but except few dings and neck finish locally worn, it looks almost new. PRS guitars are built to last... Relic finish with weather checking seems not coherent.

Does anybody has a real road worn PRS? I am curious to see a PRS natural relic finish

Relic finish looks strange on a PRS. I have a old CE from 95 bought used. It has been played a lot but except few dings and neck finish locally worn, it looks almost new. PRS guitars are built to last... Relic finish with weather checking seems not coherent.

PRS has said that the guitars are 'heirlooms' - like Stradivarius violins were and passed on to generation after generation. PRS guitars are built to last and part of that is the finish which is extremely hard wearing under normal playing conditions and protects the wood too. Weather checking isn't necessarily a sign of age as it can happen from new - Leave it in you car overnight to freeze, take it in to a warm house and open the case immediately and you have weather checking because it can't cope with the rapid expansion and contraction. Look after it though, given your guitar the chance to acclimatise or keep in a controlled room, checking won't occur.

Here's the thing though. You won't get that kind of wear naturally unless you have a nitro finish on your guitar. PRS really only uses Nitro in Private Stock or some special runs. So just saying "just play it" isn't realistic.

So, any of the relic haters mind that PRS makes guitars to feel like well worn-in instruments?

No. It’s very different making a comfortable instrument by design than faking scratches, dings, dents, etc.

Two completely different concepts.

As for blue jeans, I’ll let you know after I see someone charge $400 to stonewash a pair.

I knew that would be the response; "but that's different". lol

I believe that the first "relics" were actually that very thing, requested by Kieth Richards, wanting a guitar that felt worn in right from the start.

I knew that would be the response; "but that's different". lol

I believe that the first "relics" were actually that very thing, requested by Kieth Richards, wanting a guitar that felt worn in right from the start.

Believe what makes you happy.

It’s one thing to mod a guitar to feel good, it’s quite another to incorporate what feels good into the design.

Do posers make you less legitimate? Do you feel superior to posers?

I hope the answer to both questions is no. Why not be happy for someone else's choice? :)

Do posers make you less legitimate? Do you feel superior to posers?

I hope the answer to both questions is no. Why not be happy for someone else's choice? :)

I’m neutral on other people’s choices; hopefully that’s sufficient.

Your initial question was whether relic haters mind that PRS makes some sort of alleged relic, as though designing a comfy fretboard edge is somehow a relic job. It isn’t. The question assumed something incorrect.

I corrected it.

I’m not interested in ragging on relics. People who want them are welcome to them. I don’t care what other people buy. They also sell lime green shag carpeting, and I’m good with that, too. You just won’t find it at my house.

Does anybody has a real road worn PRS? I am curious to see a PRS natural relic finish
I have one that's over 20 years old and many others here have ones older than that. My bridge is pitted some. That is the extent of my relicing. Seems if you take care of them, they look mostly the same as they did new.

That said, I no longer play with steel studded wrist bands on, huge rings on every finger, a jacket with a huge zipper, a WWE belt buckle and my pants zipper tag untucked. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back