Recommend me an overdrive pedal

james

Administrator
Staff member
I have a DRRI and no means of overdrive/distortion at the moment. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I can probably list some dirty tones I like a lot:

Fast forward to 1:55

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm addicted to my Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, but I haven't tried many other distortion pedals. Boss Metal Zone seemed pretty much the same...

I think I need a more mild overdrive and then a crunchier distortion box

because

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say enough good things about the Way Huge Green Rhino...such a great pedal and you can pick them up relatively cheap ($75-85). I'd be happy to lend mine out to you James if you want to give it a test drive.

I can't say enough good things about the Way Huge Green Rhino...such a great pedal and you can pick them up relatively cheap ($75-85). I'd be happy to lend mine out to you James if you want to give it a test drive.

that's generous...i appreciate that! If you were my neighbor, i'd take you up on it. I'm hoping to compile a list of options and then check out sound clips online.

that's generous...i appreciate that! If you were my neighbor, i'd take you up on it. I'm hoping to compile a list of options and then check out sound clips online.

You'll be quick to learn that us former BAM guys have no problems shipping stuff for friends to try. Thats what makes a community, and not just a forum ;)

As 3-Mike stated, I'm more than happy to ship it out to you for a test drive for you. I know you can play them in GC's, but it's never the same as playing through your own rig. :)

Another vote for the Green Rhino , it's great . I got one after reading about it on BAM and I love it through my DRRI. Also worth considering is the Fulltone OCD

I like the Bad Cat X-Treme Tone for tube-driven heavy stuff, the OCD for coil-split overdrive, and the Xotic EP for clean boost.

You'll be quick to learn that us former BAM guys have no problems shipping stuff for friends to try. Thats what makes a community, and not just a forum ;)

As 3-Mike stated, I'm more than happy to ship it out to you for a test drive for you. I know you can play them in GC's, but it's never the same as playing through your own rig. :)

Well that gives me the warm and fuzzies. I appreciate it. I might take you up on it!

I use a Maxon 808 for pushing my signal on my mesa dual rec but then I use a T-Rex Gristle King and a EP Booster through my fender hot rod deluxe . I also am considering the OCD . Lots of them out there . Youtube has been a good resource for me :rock:

The Wilco clip is very similar to the way a Fulltone OCD would sound with a Deluxe. I'm also a fan of the Robin Trower Overdrive, essentially a tweaked Fulldrive II.

Another I'd seriously consider because you can clip the signal "soft" or "hard" is the Plimsoul.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Fulltone pedals. To my ear, they capture very classic tones.

Last edited:
+1 on the Wampler options, Keeley modded Tube Screamer, Zen Drive, and the Rhino.

I'm a huge fan of the Jetter Jet Drive--two great (similar) channels that can be set very differently. Price isn't bad considering you are effectively getting two pedals.

overdrive/distortion pedals are one thing that we'll never be 100% satisfied. it's and endless and fun quest. my favorites are TS9, OCD and Mesa Boogie VTwin. The Xotic Ep Booster I don't use as a booster, I have it on all the time. It's more like a mojo pedal then an effect.
I want to try out those new 3 pedals from Bogner. I think I will get one of those Ecstasy Red http://www.bogneramplification.com/products/bogner-pedals-amps

I know it goes under the radar frequently, but I have a Boss Blues Driver and if I wasn't using amp distortion, I'd use that.

overdrive/distortion pedals are one thing that we'll never be 100% satisfied. it's and endless and fun quest. my favorites are TS9, OCD and Mesa Boogie VTwin. The Xotic Ep Booster I don't use as a booster, I have it on all the time. It's more like a mojo pedal then an effect.
I want to try out those new 3 pedals from Bogner. I think I will get one of those Ecstasy Red http://www.bogneramplification.com/products/bogner-pedals-amps

Those look interesting!

+1 on the OCD
+10 on the Keeley modded TS-9
+100 on the EP Booster
:D
I swapped out my OCD for the Lovepedal Kalamazoo gold a while back and love it. It takes the OCD's ability for BIG bottom crunch and takes it to an esoteric level with more clarity and smoothness...Klon-ness. ;) Combine it with the EP Booster for sheer beauty. I add the TS-9 to the K'zoo for leads.

Can't go wrong with a Tubescreamer of some description in your rig...

Sounds like something such as the Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet would be up your sreet. Going to try and pick one up myself as soon as.

A lot of real nice ones have been mentioned here already, many of which would do the job perfectly.

The Bogner Blue's have gotten killer reviews...more so than the Red's...that said between my current amps and pedals I really don't have as much gas for these as I thought I would. Still wouldn't mind picking up a blue though.
I wish I could try them before buying it, but as always, I will buy them blindly.
I didn't mentioned before, but I've been using a lot the Slash Fuzz from MXR and I am loving it. So many sounds come out of that box

Back