Recommend me an overdrive pedal

I have to agree with a lot here. You cannot go wrong with a Tubescreamer.

If you do pick one up, I can help you convert it to bypass DIY. I also have most of the PDFs for the guitarworld interviews they did with Robert Keeley where he give up some of the mods and how to do them.

522214_10151227629172412_1670521126_n.jpg

I have way too many OD pedals...I've decided on three at the moment. I love the Fulltone stuff, but my Boss OD-3 (yes, a Boss pedal) just sounds so sweet!

OCD is my favorite ever. Will never get rid of that pedal.

That said, my next pedal will be a lovepedal Kalamazoo gold. The clips I've seen are stunning.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Tc Electronics Mojo overdrive, love it and didn't break the bank.

I use :
Boss Metal Zone
Keeley fuzz head
Tc Electronics Mojo

^^ James, the TC Electronic Mojo Mojo Overdrive was the one I was gonna recommend... Very tasty tones from that one!!!

Fulltone PlimSoul works pretty well for me on the clean channel of my Fender Super Sonic 22 which is close to your DRRI. I also have a Gearmandude version of an 808 tube screamer which I love for medium OD stuff or to put put me over the top on channel 2. I'd also recommend the Xotic BB plus. That will allow you to set up a couple of different tones at in the same pedal which would give you more flexibility from just one pedal.

Visual Sound does a great version of the 808, and you can get it in tandem with a marshally drive with the Jeckyll and Hyde, or with a compressor. Or alone. Or 2 in 1 in the double trouble if you really want to have some fun.

Visual Sound does a great version of the 808, and you can get it in tandem with a marshally drive with the Jeckyll and Hyde, or with a compressor. Or alone. Or 2 in 1 in the double trouble if you really want to have some fun.

Do you currently have the Jekyll & Hyde? I thought about picking one up used from GC to go with my tube amp.

Do you currently have the Jekyll & Hyde? I thought about picking one up used from GC to go with my tube amp.

I do... in fact I have 2. If you can find an old silver V1, the distortion side sounds much more like a Recto, and the TS side is really smooth and the overdrive sounds incredible, despite having less gain and boost on tap. The newest version is more Marshall like in the distortion, and the TS side still sounds fantastic, with lots more gain and volume boost. And then somehow I won an online giveaway from VS for a Double Trouble. Not that I needed it, but it's actually getting a lot of use on my board with the V2 J&H. I keep the V1 as an old favorite. Anyways, if I could only have 1 drive pedal from my current collection, the J&H would be the one.

Providence Flame Drive

I also want to try the Fulltone Plimsoul and especially the Bogner Blue.

I do... in fact I have 2. If you can find an old silver V1, the distortion side sounds much more like a Recto, and the TS side is really smooth and the overdrive sounds incredible, despite having less gain and boost on tap. The newest version is more Marshall like in the distortion, and the TS side still sounds fantastic, with lots more gain and volume boost. And then somehow I won an online giveaway from VS for a Double Trouble. Not that I needed it, but it's actually getting a lot of use on my board with the V2 J&H. I keep the V1 as an old favorite. Anyways, if I could only have 1 drive pedal from my current collection, the J&H would be the one.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go back to GC this week and get the used one they have (it's the newer red one).

ETHOS TLE OVERDRIVE sounds like a DUMBLE amp,for a lot less dough!! It has a very broad range of tones to select from. Also, the GOLDEN CELLO at guitar center is a cost effective alternative. It combines a delay & overdrive in one small pedal. GOOD LUCK--- THE GAS NEVER STOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more thing! when you wear out the pedal quest;cut to the chase scene and purchase an AXE EFFECTS 2 and sell all your pedals to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I really like the AC Booster: http://www.xotic.us/effects/
I'm not a big OD guy. I like Xotic because they give you bass and treble controls, I sometimes have issues with pedals with a tone control only. I prefer the single pedals over the + versions. AC does a nice job from going from a boost pedal into decent level gain OD.
Although, I've really been wanting to try a Lovepedal Eternity burst.

If you want something that sounds really raw, get a good germanium overdrive. I am using a Tortuga Abduction dual germanium overdrive.

Last edited:
Try a tubescreamer. Analogman silver mod for less of a midrange hump (check out the KOT too). The "Tubedreamer" from Jam Pedals sounds pretty smooth and natural as well. If you love Nels Cline with Wilco watch his "Rig Rundown" on youtube and you might see what he's using.

I did that actually. I can't recall what he was using, but somehow came across a pedal called a Brown Rabbit during that initial search. Ever heard of it?

Back