Recessed control cavity plates on S2 and CE

So, the point of this thread was not to say that I wouldn't buy this guitar or that guitar based on the control cavity cover, it was only to point out that it seems that the cost of making the S2 control cavity cover flush would be small and that it would be a nice and worthwhile upgrade that I personally would pay for and I think others would too.

I would also just point out that it appears that the cause of the control cavity cover sticking out on the S2 is that the Core control cavity simply has a deeper bevel that the backplate screws into. That's it. I'm not sure where the cost savings are with having a shallower control cavity bevel on the S2, but I've never manufactured a guitar and I don't employ hundreds of people.

Also, I wasn't really talking about trem covers as I have removed them on my Strat and my 305. I'll have to check my NF3. But it is nice that the trem plate is recessed on the Core models. Moreover, in my opinion the historically non-recessed trem plate on a 1950's assembly-line ethos, slab-bodied strat is not very relevant to PRS guitars. I think Gibson's guitars are more analogous.

Finally, I think what PRS has achieved with the S2 line is remarkable. They are much higher quality and come in at a much lower price point than the big competitors.

P.S. I don't even think I know what manscaping is? Think about that for a minute...

Last edited:
I do know what you mean, and I was annoyed that they did that when they were first released as the SEs are recessed and I don't think it costs, just differentiation of product lines, but then I bought a couple of S2s and you don't honestly notice it

It would be possible to route down a recess if your handy with a router, surprised no one has actually done it especially with all this lockdown home time on hands.

I'd like to see that and willing to throw down the gauntlet. If someone does it and posts a thread I'll post them something in the actual post. Maybe others will join in too and you get get a small cache of nonsense for a laugh. (sounds like my brain!)

How about this....

glue in some half round dowels onto the side of the cavity in four places, make sure they are measure the same depth as the cavity MINUS the thickness of the back plate.
Then make a backplate the same size as the rear route, so it drops in perfectly and sits on the top of the four dowels. Drill your screw holes to line up with the top of the dowels, so you are basically screwing into the dowels.

no routing required and easy to put back to stock. Of course you will have to fill and finish the original screw holes, but just colour match and drop fill with super glue then polish back up.

just a thought.

Google is your friend
NO it is not! One night I "accidentally" opened an "ad" on Pinterest for some manscaping tool. I tried to click on the kayak post right next too it but missed. That was last fall. I still get "lawnmower" google ads almost daily. While the model is actually quite nice, (FEMALE, Alnus!) it's not as nice as the time I posted here that "in her prime, Marie Osmond was one of the most beautiful women that's ever lived" and then for literally 6 months after that, got google ads about Marie Osmond being one of the most beautiful women ever. And then, got one for months that said "Marie Osmonds daughter may be the most gorgeous woman that's ever lived." In fact, perhaps at some level, I typed this now, hoping to switch the google ads back to Marie instead of manscape chicky. And, the answer is "yes of course I did" to the question "did you click to see Marie's daughter?" Didn't ever get to see her though. Clicked out before I got too far into the spam sites. :(

NO it is not! One night I "accidentally" opened an "ad" on Pinterest for some manscaping tool. I tried to click on the kayak post right next too it but missed. That was last fall. I still get "lawnmower" google ads almost daily. While the model is actually quite nice, (FEMALE, Alnus!) it's not as nice as the time I posted here that "in her prime, Marie Osmond was one of the most beautiful women that's ever lived" and then for literally 6 months after that, got google ads about Marie Osmond being one of the most beautiful women ever. And then, got one for months that said "Marie Osmonds daughter may be the most gorgeous woman that's ever lived." In fact, perhaps at some level, I typed this now, hoping to switch the google ads back to Marie instead of manscape chicky. And, the answer is "yes of course I did" to the question "did you click to see Marie's daughter?" Didn't ever get to see her though. Clicked out before I got too far into the spam sites. :(

What my brain got out of that... google Marie Osmond

Did anyone else google her?

If you thought I was kidding, here is the add in the middle of my daily email from The Cincinnati Enquirer...

VffRqryBxBn9DLunnZ-w4NzSQKkDDvScqaljuWTrNVrB4zjjKEkdqK_VP03ky5d8YGdT3KJq5tyx_cWqwsChsmE_m9RTUd00W_08ffr9LYjtIbqZow9vNKeXX3Gr8PSJQhaXGmRjjzOJhPiP=s0-d-e1-ft

If you thought I was kidding, here is the add in the middle of my daily email from The Cincinnati Enquirer...

VffRqryBxBn9DLunnZ-w4NzSQKkDDvScqaljuWTrNVrB4zjjKEkdqK_VP03ky5d8YGdT3KJq5tyx_cWqwsChsmE_m9RTUd00W_08ffr9LYjtIbqZow9vNKeXX3Gr8PSJQhaXGmRjjzOJhPiP=s0-d-e1-ft
That’s weird. The picture changed after I posted this. Those of you who saw it earlier today, saw the tatoo’d brunette model holding the manscaper.

Had some time to kill waiting for some food this evening so I went to the local GC. Had them pull this S2 McCarty 594 off the wall for me. Nice quality, great workmanship.

Then I saw the warped control cavity cover. Not a huge deal, but not great either. Another reason why it would be nice for these covers to be flush. It's interesting that this is the first S2 I've ever picked up.

Can we just admit that the control cover situation is problematic?

The GC clerk asked me what I thought of it and I said it was great except the control cavity cover is warped and they should ask PRS for a new one. He took the guitar and mumbled something unintelligible as he shuffled away.

IMG-1080-2.jpg

Last edited:
Had some time to kill waiting for some food this evening so I went to the local GC. Had them pull this S2 McCarty 594 off the wall for me. Nice quality, great workmanship.

Then I saw the warped control cavity cover. Not a huge deal, but not great either. Another reason why it would be nice for these covers to be flush. It's interesting that this is the first S2 I've ever picked up.

Can we just admit that the control cover situation is problematic?

The GC clerk asked me what I thought of it and I said it was great except the control cavity cover is warped and they should ask PRS for a new one. He took the guitar and mumbled something unintelligible as he shuffled away.

IMG-1080-2.jpg
I agree that PRS would be well served to move to a more rigid, thinner material, even if they keep the non recessed covers it is still the better part of two grand for the instrument. There must be a more premium material they could go with.

Back