Questions about shipping a PRS from Canada to the US???

andy474x

Knows the Drill
I'm seriously considering buying a guitar from a Canadian seller, but I don't know what to expect in terms of customs processing fees and wood restrictions coming back into the US. Has anyone done this? I have no idea what to expect with customs fees. As far as the woods, I know PRS is generally very good about making sure their woods are legally obtained and ok for import, and this guitar is pretty run-of-the-mill, mahogany and rosewood and as far as I know, no rare types of those woods or anything.

US manufactured Guitar coming back into the US... Can't see it being an issue at all ;)

I know one Canadian dealer that I bet sells as many guitars to USA Customers as Canadian's - never heard of any issues. Gotta love the "North American Free Trade Agreement" :laugh:

Last edited:
As long as it is Shipped FedEx overnight, you have nothing to worry about as far as customs. The machine moves to fast for the fed.

If the guitar contains sea shells (e.g. inlays) then you might need an inspection.

Best bet, tell the dealer you want a door to door price, that way they are responsible for getting the guitar from them to you, and pay all the associated insurance/shipping/customs/quarantine etc fees.

I bought a PRS from a person in Canada. I remember having to fill out some custom forms, mostly due to the value of the instrument.

I bought a PRS MEQ from the US, it was overnight and I only got dinged for 5% GST, which I would normally pay.
Not sure how it works the other way around.

Back