Current Favorite PRS? Dunno About You, Mine's A Moving Target!

László

Too Many Notes
It isn't that I don't have a nominal favorite guitar - I always say it's the McCarty Singlecut built by the PS team. In an ideal world, it's my ideal guitar in every way. In practice, I'm all over the place.

I'm a guitar philanderer. Whichever PRS I'm playing on any given day is Queen For A Day.

I should buy each one a washing machine or a new car (those of you who watched that goofy game show as children will get the joke).

Today I was playing my Special Semi Hollow. I always liked it a lot, but until very recently it wasn't tops on the hit parade of PRSes I own. A change of string types, adjusting my picking technique a little, and setting up my amps more to compliment the tone of the guitar changed that, and today I thought, "I need no guitar but this!"

You know the old 50s line, "Why Miss Jones, you're beautiful without your glasses!" And she pulls the pins out of her hair, shakes her head, and indeed, yes, she has metamorphosed into a gorgeous model. What a fool you were for not noticing her before!

Kinda happened with the Special. It's sitting in the studio right now, while the amps warm up for another go.

The other day I played my McSC, and thought the same thing. I played my CU24 and would have said it, too. The PS20, yep. Played it a few days ago and thought it'd be my desert island guitar. Don't even get me started on the 594 Soapbar, it's stellar.

This of course is why I often think, "I should get down to only one guitar." It's also why I often think, "I need all these guitars!"

Thus am I paralyzed by the back and forth. I could get down to one. But I can't get down to one!

I realize this is a good problem to have in some ways, Dear Abby, but at the same time, part of me yearns for monogamy. One guitar to concentrate my efforts on.

--- Sleepless in Detroit

Last edited:
I've wondered if others go through this too . I try to "rotate " through my instruments so I play them at least an hour a month each.
I've got a handful that are always close and played daily as well. I contemplate thinning the herd periodically as I play through some forgotten gem, each time with aforementioned tweaks , I realized why I bought it originally ...like meeting an old flame that amicably departed

Would you settle for a Fab Five?
As a Michigan basketball fan? Are you kidding? Of course!

BTW, the Fab Five are turning 50 this year. Let's not even discuss what I'm turning...

"Wait, what are you turning?"

"The page."

"Seriously?"

"Yup. I'm going to change every aspect of my life tomorrow. I just haven't decided what my life will change into."

"You haven't got much time, it's after 9 PM."

"I kinda like to wing it. You know, play it by ear."

It isn't that I don't have a nominal favorite guitar - I always say it's the McCarty Singlecut built by the PS team. In an ideal world, it's my ideal guitar in every way. In practice, I'm all over the place.

I'm a guitar philanderer. Whichever PRS I'm playing on any given day is Queen For A Day.

I should buy each one a washing machine or a new car (those of you who watched that goofy game show as children will get the joke).

Today I was playing my Special Semi Hollow. I always liked it a lot, but until very recently it wasn't tops on the hit parade of PRSes I own. A change of string types, adjusting my picking technique a little, and setting up my amps more to compliment the tone of the guitar changed that, and today I thought, "I need no guitar but this!"

You know the old 50s line, "Why Miss Jones, you're beautiful without your glasses!" And she pulls the pins out of her hair, shakes her head, and indeed, yes, she has metamorphosed into a gorgeous model. What a fool you were for not noticing her before!

Kinda happened with the Special. It's sitting in the studio right now, while the amps warm up for another go.

The other day I played my McSC, and thought the same thing. I played my CU24 and would have said it, too. The PS20, yep. Played it a few days ago and thought it'd be my desert island guitar. Don't even get me started on the 594 Soapbar, it's stellar.

This of course is why I often think, "I should get down to only one guitar." It's also why I often think, "I need all these guitars!"

Thus am I paralyzed by the back and forth. I could get down to one. But I can't get down to one!

I realize this is a good problem to have in some ways, Dear Abby, but at the same time, part of me yearns for monogamy. One guitar to concentrate my efforts on.

--- Sleepless in Detroit
That is exactly how I feel every time I pick up each of my guitars! And I get to feel like it's NGD every time I do because it's something so wonderful each and every time.

I have an SC 594 that was crapping out somewhere in the control cavity, so I rebuilt that Sunday and thought I'd try out a set of PRS signature strings on it for s!?ts and giggles. For whatever reason, I landed on an old-school EVH patch in the ol' Axe FX, and y'know what? I haven't unplugged that guitar or changed the patch since. Too much fun!

I'm often surprised at the way that when one guitar catches my ear, another one that I love no less just doesn't sound as good in the moment.

If you haven't naturally always been a single guitar guy from the start or out of circumstance/necessity, don't bother considering it. You love and play multiple guitars for starters, plus I think you've got a 408 and a MEV, right? Hard to get rid of those.

My conclusion however, is if I had to widdle it down it would be a special semi hollow, a MEV and a silver sky. Your Special has the LT's like mine, I think you said? You're really liking them? I thought my SE PG sounded wonderful but the LT's fully leave them in the dust.

Love my Paul's guitar but my SE 245 is pretty cool (though heavily modded!)...

k0olclh.jpg

#1 would be my SE Silver Skys. They're what I play 90% of the time. Compared them to a USA Silver Sky recently and came away preferring my SE's...once again!

The trems are floating in mine, although I they sound a little deeper and bigger when they're adjusted flat to the top of the guitar. But then you can't use them like Jeff Beck.

#2 would be the '95 CU22 in my picture to the left.

#3 would be my SE Soapbar Singlecut with Gibson P90's. It's super light, resonant and easy playing.

I have others but those are my faves.

Last edited:
Back