Question regarding strings/gauges

Bilbicus

Hi,

I'm new here and have a PRS Brent Mason which I gather shipped with 10s.

I'm in two minds as to whether:

A) Continue as I always have with D'addario 10s, or:

B) Try out the PRS branded strings.

Has anyone here experience of both? I feel there can't be much in it (I think the gauges are identical across all strings for both sets) but the reviews for the PRS strings seem to be universally positive and people comment on how they feel "made" for the guitar. Although the guitar is second hand it feels and looks brand new, and I imagine it still has the "native" strings on it. It plays great with whatever is on it.

Any other suggestions welcome, I am definitely sticking with 10s. I didn't care much for Ernie Ball strings and have never tried DR strings or Elixirs.

As a welcome gift from PRS when I signed for the Signature Club, I received a set of PRS strings, 11s in my case.
I´m a regular d'addario exl115 user, and didn´t notice difference between them. Nor clearer or warmer neither short lasting. Maybe they are d'addarios too, I don't know if PRS manufactures its own strings.

Talking about other brands, for my taste:
- ErnieBall are too loose, not as tight as d'addarios. Similar corrotion
- DR are too tight, much tension form the same pitch. Faster corrotion
- Gibson Brite Wires a little bit of more tension than d'addarios, nothing remarkable. Faster corrotion
- Gibson Vintage similar to d'addarios about tension, faster corrotion.

For me, d'addarios all the way

I'm a regular D'addarío guy for decades, did most of my experimenting with strings early on and now go by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.
Maybe there have been some developments since that time but I have never felt at a loss for tone with what I use now. Find what fits for you as far as gauge and tone and stick with it, that way you don't have to think of it and you can spend your time being that kick ass dude on your axe.:D

Most interesting! Thanks for the response! Just read somewhere else that some folks think D'addario make the PRS ones anyway.

I'm a regular D'addarío guy for decades, did most of my experimenting with strings early on and now go by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.
Maybe there have been some developments since that time but I have never felt at a loss for tone with what I use now. Find what fits for you as far as gauge and tone and stick with it, that way you don't have to think of it and you can spend your time being that kick ass dude on your axe.:D

I think that is it settled then, stick with the tried and tested. Plus the bulk buying of them on Amazon really takes the edge off.

I also remember reading that D'addario makes the strings for PRS. I know they DID, but not entirely sure if they still DO!!

Kevin

I used D'addarío on everything for years after switching from GHS Boomers.
I now am using DR Titefits , I have tried the PRS strings for me the DRs and better sounding and last longer for me.

I went on a string search a couple of years ago and tried the GHS Boomers, D'addario, Ernie Ball and a few others before settling on Elixirs. Mostly 9-46's.

I'm personally partial to D'Addario NYXL 10-46 balanced tension. The balanced tension thing really seems to work and I am breaking out of my treble string rut a bit since I switched to the balanced tension. The NYXLs last for freaking ever, and keep their tuning better than any string I've ever tried, no matter how crazy I bend and vibrato. They are pretty bright, though, brighter than regular XLs, and not everybody likes that bright a tone. DR TiteFit are very nice strings, too. I used to put those on a Jackson years ago. I thought they sounded a smidge warmer than XLs, which helped on a super bright axe like that maple neck thru/ebony board Jackson. The DRs keep their tuning a smidge better than regular XLs and string life is about the same.

I use Elixir Nanowebs, but if you're happy with your brand, I don't see a reason to change. Try 'me, and if you're happy, don't broke what isn't fixed.

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere on this forum or on the PRS website that D'Addario makes PRS strings to PRS's specs.
I happen to like standard stock D'Addarios as well as the PRS strings. I have tried other brands many years ago and this is where I ended up. For the most part I use 10-46's on all but 1 guitar.

I`m pretty much a DR tite fit guy on my PRS. The other brands all have their good points. Like everything else, it depends on what you want to hear. That`s how I ended with DR.

Hi,

I'm new here and have a PRS Brent Mason which I gather shipped with 10s.

I'm in two minds as to whether:

A) Continue as I always have with D'addario 10s, or:

B) Try out the PRS branded strings.

Has anyone here experience of both? I feel there can't be much in it (I think the gauges are identical across all strings for both sets) but the reviews for the PRS strings seem to be universally positive and people comment on how they feel "made" for the guitar. Although the guitar is second hand it feels and looks brand new, and I imagine it still has the "native" strings on it. It plays great with whatever is on it.

Any other suggestions welcome, I am definitely sticking with 10s. I didn't care much for Ernie Ball strings and have never tried DR strings or Elixirs.

D'addario's best tone , Elixirs will last far longer they are a coated string. I like them both. Ernie Ball strings will work well and I never cared for DR strings. Nothing really wrong with DR strings I just felt there were better choices. IMHO

I second the D'addario NYXL 10-46. I have them on my Brent Mason and the extra brightness makes the single coil chimey-ness well, more chimey!
Of course, they're fine in humbucker mode too. They last a long time and since they and I are from Long Island, I have to support our local merchants!

I break strings after two shows so I don't waste my money on coated strings.

I liked DRs but seemed to break easier. I have been using NYXLs and I think I'm happier with these.

Back