Question: PRS McCarty 594's, Semi-Hollow vs full Hollowbody II?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Hopefully this will be a short thread.
Has anyone seen a tone demo comparing the PRS McCarty 594's, Semi-Hollow vs full Hollowbody 2?

So far, the only tone demos I've found are for each individual model and in both cases each are played as if there is a baby in the same room which must be not awakened. How do each of these models react to high gain? Do they go full Stranglehold or do they stay in BB King's lane?

If there are no tone demos out there comparing the 594 semi-hollow vs full hollow, perhaps instead you might state which you prefer and why. This is one of my current (two) dilemmas. Do I trade in my historically traditional semi-hollowbody blues guitar towards a state of the art 21st century PRS hollow/semi-hollow or not?

Somewhere on the forum there are videos of Tag playing both the semi and full. IIRC, he loved the semi, then the full HB came out. He loved it even more and moved his semi to go full. No high gain stuff in his vids though. I can say from experience with a Special Semi Hollow and an HBII that they are less prone to feedback than other manufacturers HB models.

Can't speak to the 594s but I can run my 2004 HB Spruce top through a Mesa Dual Recto with a TS in front and have no issues with feedback unless I stand stupid close to the amp. Sound is super nice and full, but more open than more traditional Hollowbodies a la 335 type shapes.

Somewhere on the forum there are videos of Tag playing both the semi and full. IIRC, he loved the semi, then the full HB came out. He loved it even more and moved his semi to go full. No high gain stuff in his vids though. I can say from experience with a Special Semi Hollow and an HBII that they are less prone to feedback than other manufacturers HB models.

If you want to do Metallica, a solidbody may be better, but for Stranglehold, and even higher gain, the HB594 does everything the semi hollow version does, just bigger and woodier. I had a killer DC and SC 594 SH, and loved them both.
But they both were sold after getting the HB594. Just more of everything. That being said, a 335 is a totally different animal. Way bigger, plywood, etc etc. I like the HB more, but there would be room for both. All of my 335s are gone though, directly due to my love of PRS semi hollows, and an original thick body PS archtop build will be added!

:):):)

Well, I went to the store where I had my choice. They had both in stock. 594's in full hollowbody or the semi-hollow. (It seems that the semi-hollow was a limited edition run.) I tried out a bunch of different guitars and selected one. Why I picked the one I did? I'm not sure. For reasons I can't explain, I just decided to pick the one I did and I felt happy about it all the way home.

NEW GUITAR DAY:
2019 McCarty 594 Limited Semi-Hollow in Copperhead Smokeburst
PRS_2019_McCarty594-ltd-Copperhead-01.jpg

PRS_2019_McCarty594-ltd-Copperhead-3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I went to the store where I had my choice. They had both in stock. 594's in full hollowbody or the semi-hollow. (It seems that the semi-hollow was a limited edition run.) I tried out a bunch of different guitars and selected one. Why I picked the one I did? I'm not sure. For reasons I can't explain, I just decided to pick the one I did and I felt happy about it all the way home.

NEW GUITAR DAY:

Smokin’ hot!

NEW GUITAR DAY:

Whatever reason, I am not surprised you felt happy all the way home - great looking guitar and I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoyment with it...

NEW GUITAR DAY:

Awesome! How does it sound ?

That’s just looks right(geous)- from the color, to the single f hole to the curly grain pattern of the maple top. Congrats!

I can't see the pics, but congrats on the guitar! I'm jonesing for that model right now...

It seems like my links keep breaking and I don't know why. I'll have to look into that.

Back