Push-push on a DGT

Oh it's funny, I only split the neck PU, for clean and crunch. We use ours guitars very differently, great !!! If I could, I'll get off thesplitting on the bridge PU !!!! But the wiring is difficult tounderstand for a neophyte like me. And what kind of push-push do you use on your PRS ? Each of them are not with the same quality....

Out of curiosity, how many of you change from split to humbucker mid-song while performing? I really ask this out of curiosity...not trying to question the desire for a push-push configuration in the first place. For me, I can't think of any times where I'd want to change configurations mid-song, so I'm just wondering what sorts of situations you guys find calls for it.

I don't actually perform out, but I tend to practice some stuff almost like a performance, if that makes sense. Especially with looping, I can see a lot of times to switch from single to humbucker during a song. When I play "Watermelon In Easter Hay" with loops, I do it almost every time (assuming the guitar has taps - the 408 is great for that). With the push-pull, going to humbucker mode is dead simple. It's going to single-coil that never feels smooth to me.

Oh it's funny, I only split the neck PU, for clean and crunch. We use ours guitars very differently, great !!! If I could, I'll get off thesplitting on the bridge PU !!!! But the wiring is difficult tounderstand for a neophyte like me. And what kind of push-push do you use on your PRS ? Each of them are not with the same quality....

I'm not a wiring expert, or at least not on the level of some of the guys here, but since the DGT has both pups wired to one switch, couldn't you just disconnect the tap wire from the bridge pickup from the switch? You'd have to tape it off to avoid it touching anything and generating noise, but wouldn't that take it out of the coil tap equation?

,...couldn't you just disconnect the tap wire from the bridge pickup from the switch? You'd have to tape it off to avoid it touching anything and generating noise, but wouldn't that take it out of the coil tap equation?

Boom.

HI all,

I have a 2014 SE custom 24 with the push pull tone pot and it has a lot of wiggle in either position. Also, the knob is so smooth, it is very difficult to pull up. I almost have to get my finger nails under the edge to pull it up. Is there a knob available to eliminate this problem? The volume knob also has some wiggle, so I am thinking of getting a complete pre-wired upgrade package, including volume pot, push/pull tone pot and hi-end capacitors, ready to drop in and just solder the pup and ground wires. I've read a few posts mentioning CTS pots and its usually stated that they have a 10% tolerance. I would like the pots, and capacitors, to have a 1 or 2% tolerance. Can anyone recommend a quality setup?

Thanks,
henryr

I don't actually perform out, but I tend to practice some stuff almost like a performance, if that makes sense. Especially with looping, I can see a lot of times to switch from single to humbucker during a song. When I play "Watermelon In Easter Hay" with loops, I do it almost every time (assuming the guitar has taps - the 408 is great for that). With the push-pull, going to humbucker mode is dead simple. It's going to single-coil that never feels smooth to me.

I'm not a wiring expert, or at least not on the level of some of the guys here, but since the DGT has both pups wired to one switch, couldn't you just disconnect the tap wire from the bridge pickup from the switch? You'd have to tape it off to avoid it touching anything and generating noise, but wouldn't that take it out of the coil tap equation?

If you're disconnecting a coil from the tap switch, you have to solder it to the other coil's wire or the pickup will be disconnected.

I only have push/push pots on one guitar and I kinda like it but I prefer push/pull for the sole reason of muscle memory making it the easiest method for me.
Consequently when that guitar visits the PTC next month it will be converted back to the standard PRS push/pull tone configuration...I only have one song I have to switch from full 'bucker to a coil tap sound and prefer my guitars be consistent across the board.
YMMV...

Slippery knob problem gone. I put the knob in a small lathe chuck and cut a channel, into and around the outer diameter, centered about 1/8”, below the top of the knob. The channel is about 3/32“ wide X 3/64“ deep. I put a 3/32“ thick X 13/16” inner diameter soft rubber O ring, which is a snug fit, in the channel. This leaves a little more than half, of the O ring’s thickness, sticking out of the knob and now it is very easy to pull up.

I was thinking about this mod and it struck me that I like having an easy to use push pull instead of a toggle, for coil splitting, plus a tone control. I think making changes is faster and easier with one control. Some may think having more knobs and switches is cool, but to me simpler is better. I am. however, considering a 5 way blade switch to allow coil splitting either in parallel or series.

The simpler is better train of thought made me think of an unrelated topic. Why do guitars have frets? Jaco Pastorius was fantastic on fretless electric bass. Violins, cellos and upright basses are fretless. Does anyone know of a fretless guitar or player?

Why do guitars have frets?

Well, something has to go between the birds! Besides, if they didn't have frets, there'd be tons of fret wire rusting in guitar factories all over the world.

Seriously, fretless would be tougher to master, especially for barre chords. And there's the intonation thing - think of a bad slide player you've heard. Or someone who can't tell his guitar is out of tune. Then imagine that for every note they play.

I'd love to give it a try someday, though.

Does anyone know of a fretless guitar or player?

Guthrie Govan, but not full time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I listened to several of Govan's youtube sessions. I think he's a fantastic player and didn't hear any off notes. Makes me want to get a fretless axe.

Simply a new post to say that I changed the push pull, and I put instead a push push (allparts) 500K LOG, and it's a great idea because the sound is more bright, it's perceptible. I did another change, the position of the neck pick up volume pot ; now, it's in first position, that wasn't logical for me !!!! My DGT is a wonderfull polyvalent guitar, on my JMH custom amp (clone of Marshall 2550), I have the best sound IN THE WORLD !!!!! Sorry !:D

Out of curiosity, how many of you change from split to humbucker mid-song while performing? I really ask this out of curiosity...not trying to question the desire for a push-push configuration in the first place. For me, I can't think of any times where I'd want to change configurations mid-song, so I'm just wondering what sorts of situations you guys find calls for it.
In a trio format - change in nearly every song, much less if there another guitarist or keys.

Back