Puppies....

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
No, not these:
ef3eb8b47f43e0bc54879c29c68c6c67.jpg

THESE:
82ff93802baf9bfb28dc43b704980c29.jpg

I'm having a small GAS attack, but I need some insight.

I have never played 408s in either a Siggy, a 408 or a PG, but I need to give them a try. I'm currently working on getting some in-hand with these things, but I need some insight. Many of you have played the 408s in both their original and narrow bridge versions and I need to know what to expect and what to look for when I play them.

I rarely use split tones - I just prefer the fuller sound of humbuckers full on. I like thick, full tones for both clean and dirty. I'm not a fan of piercing, shrieking tones. But having the option to split is good, because you never know where your might branch out next.

I'd appreciate is you guys could give me a rough comparison or contrast as to how the neck 408 sounds compared to conventional humbuckers of your choice. Is it tinnier? Just as full? More or less low, mids or highs? Muddier or more articulated?

I'm debating about 408s or not. And it's an important question because of the non-interchangeability of the shapes of the pups.

Can you help me with this dilemma?

my feeling is that split they are plenty full with more focus. I don't hear a dramatic eq change myself. I also think much will depend on amp, cab and speaker. Currently my rig is too full sounding and I am amp shopping he he.

I love my 408...had it about a month and am still messing with finding new sounds. IMO the treble pickup sounds great...split, unsplit... I love how it sounds. As other forum members have stated in other posts, I find myself drifting to more split tones than I would normally play. I have always loved the humbucker, but these 408s have me rethinking my pick-up philosophy. Seems an old dog CAN learn a new trick.:)

But what the hell do I know...go play one and let your ears decide!!!

(I don't think you'll be disappointed)

Thanks Ruger!
I have been tossing and turning between a 408 or a HB. Then I saw the HBs with 408s, and while I prefer the look of the covered pickups on the HB, I'm really curious if anyone can comment on the sound.

P.S. Bill, I was in GC in Towson and they had a stop tail 408 about 2 weeks ago. It might still be there.

Last edited:
I'd appreciate is you guys could give me a rough comparison or contrast as to how the neck 408 sounds compared to conventional humbuckers of your choice. Is it tinnier? Just as full? More or less low, mids or highs? Muddier or more articulated?

Ruger, I have 3 408-equipped PRSi: Siggy, 408 Brazzy & PG. While the neck pup sounds different in each of these guitars, I would say that they are generally more articulate, with a little more high end than, the Vintage Bass pups in the majority of my other PRSi. I find the neck pup in my 408 Brazzy to get a little bass-heavy, so I run that one in tapped mode most of the time - I attribute that to the RW neck mostly, because I don't notice it in the other two. I find the 59/09 neck in my Throwback to be a tiny bit more compressed-sounding than the 408 overall, but again hard to compare because the guitars are so different.

I would not classify any of the 408 splits to be piercing, shrieking or shrill in any way.

it's never too late for that... :beer:
But it can be too early some times. When I was 14 or so I walked into a strip club to "get change for the soda machine" outside (wink wink). They got a little upset with me for walking in there, but they gave me the change... and the place was empty, it wasn't showtime yet. I was bummed.

To me (I don't own anything with 408s, but I'm jonesing and play one every chance I get), they sound very articulate and open. I don't notice compression or congestion in the mids.

The non-standard footprint is a possible issue. I contacted the PTC about installing them in n SC HB II, but because the narrow pup with ring are still skinnier than a standard humbucker route, it would require a refin, which is out of the question for me. So, a possible solution is to follow our Aussie friend's (justmund) lead and drop them into a pickguard covered guitar. Or, get a Brent Mason.

I'm still waiting for an SC HB II 408 with piezo!

Very recently went through this dilemma myself. I kept going back and forth between a 408 & a new Custom 22. Tried a number of each side by side. Both were great, but I ended up going for the Custom 22 for 2 main reasons (keep in mind I'm mostly a clean to mild overdrive player):

1) the neck pickup has the warm, fat tone I love...I could get close with the 408 neck pickup, but the traditional sized 'bucker in the neck works better for me. The 408 was a tad thinner in the neck position, though I wouldn't call it shrill or tinny.
2) in the event I want to swap out the HFS/VB, I have the option with the Cu, whereas with the 408 I would not. For me, it's a nice option to have. If my tastes change, I can always try a PUP swap first.

Again, very close, & the 408 slightly wins for versatility, but for me the Cu fit the bill better.

As humbuckers go, I think the bridge 408s are pretty bright, articulate, and have a lot of gain on tap. They definitely have a bit of a different vibe from traditional humbuckers. The neck 'bucker is also brighter and more focused, but there I prefer the tones of something like a 57/08.

Split, the guitar becomes a different creature, it's very open, very woody sounding, and altogether wonderful.

I love 408s. But I also love the 5x/0x pickups as much. Nice to have options.

Just get a Studio!
The NFs are oddball sized with no aftermarket replacements that'll fit that I know of lol. And it comes with a (fully replaceable) 57/08 bucker in the bridge!

Seriously though...I have no experience with the 408s so why am I even here beaking-off? Well cause I'm a DICK.

Man for the LIFE of me I still cant figure out why the Studio (and NFs in general) aren't wildly popular. They have everyone's favourite PRS pup EVER in the bridge (the 57/08) and well to me, the Studio is the most versatile, Swiss Armyknife-ish guitar I've ever played. Seriously.
I have never heard ANY guitar sound so legitimately Fenderish in positions 2 and 4...even more stratty than a lot of strats I've owned. It does a hb sound pretty convincingly...well cause it HAS a humbucker lol...you know, the only thing that comes remotely close is a HSS strat lol. But while it sounds like a strat it sure blows them away in the "guitar" department.

I know the reviews claim that the 408 nails a Fender tone. Heck the 5-way rotary PRS set-up with 2 buckers can sound quite fenderesque too...my CE and CUs always had me fairly convinced...until I got the Studio. Rather than a faux quack and chime from a pair of buckers with inner and outers in and out of phase... an actual blend of the middle and either neck or bridge pups IS the strat quack and chime.
I don't doubt that the 408 can cop a great sc tone. Without the positions 2 and 4 (blend of bridge and middle or neck and middle), I cant imagine how a 2 pickup guitar can come as close as a 3pup Studio.
Clearly though, myself and 4 others are the only PRS club members who agree. The Studio is NOT one of PRSs more successful and bigger sellers for some reason.

I'll never know how the 408s do because...the Studio and a PRS SC (even just a Tremonti SE Custom) are the only 2 guitars I'll ever "need". You know, besides a P90 guitar, a Hollowbody, a piezo equipped PRS, several acoustics..and a backup for each.
Man..if only they had called it a DGT Studio :facepalm.
seems like if PRS puts the other 3 letters on any of it's products it'll be a sure thing and an huge success.
I aint never even HEARD David Grissom. Man he must be a GOD!
Meanwhile, you'll find me on a stage with my Stood or Tremonti. I'm here all week folks.

Hmmm.....

I'm a full tone humbucking neck pickup kinda guy. So much so that I prefer 22 fretters over 24 fretters because the neck pup is in a sweeter spot. So, NF pups in that position probably aren't for me. I'm just wondering if 408s can fill that sweet spot for me.

I'm not looking for a quack. I have a showmaster that does all the quacking I need.

This thread is asking the question: do the 408s deliver good, full humbucking tones with good articulation from low to high?

As humbuckers go, I think the bridge 408s are pretty bright, articulate, and have a lot of gain on tap. They definitely have a bit of a different vibe from traditional humbuckers. The neck 'bucker is also brighter and more focused, but there I prefer the tones of something like a 57/08.

Split, the guitar becomes a different creature, it's very open, very woody sounding, and altogether wonderful.

I love 408s. But I also love the 5x/0x pickups as much. Nice to have options.

I agree with Les here. They are open, woody, but bright. Very articulate. I find them great for a variety of styles and even the most note heavy of genres. I have put them on half of my guitars. I'd would them again without question.

Hmmm.....

I'm a full tone humbucking neck pickup kinda guy. So much so that I prefer 22 fretters over 24 fretters because the neck pup is in a sweeter spot. So, NF pups in that position probably aren't for me. I'm just wondering if 408s can fill that sweet spot for me.

I'm not looking for a quack. I have a showmaster that does all the quacking I need.

This thread is asking the question: do the 408s deliver good, full humbucking tones with good articulation from low to high?

I think you would be happy with the 408's. Certainly make time to go play a guitar with these pups. It's a solid use of time if you are considering a purchase of a 408 equipped axe.

I have 408Brazzy and PG

Both have very nice HB sound, and of course a very usable SC sound. Just play around with vol and tone, you could well cover a lot of grounds, I really mean A LOT!

However, when play live, I split my neck PUPs on both guitars most of the time and leave the bridge on full HB. Very versatile setting!

Back