PRS Studio vs 513

cubby61

I'll admit it, I used to be a Gibson SG guy. That was until I got my first PRS. I liked the versatility of the 2014 P24 so I found one at a local dealer and after playing it a while realized it was the best guitar I had ever played. I liked the feel, the fit and finish, the attention to detail and the sound. It was all there. Several SGs were sold to buy a 2003 Single Cut Artist Pkg that has the most wonderful deep rich tone. A couple more SGs gone and I was able to get a 2014 Hollowbody II Artist Pkg that sounds simply amazing. I thought maybe I was done until I came across a pristine 2012 Signature Limited and I knew I had to have it. That's really a versatile guitar. It's probably the one I pick up the most now.

Sorry for the background, I'll get to my question. It's GAS time again. I've been looking at 513s. I like the concept of being able to chose all the different sounds. A friend of mine told me he thought I should look at a Studio instead. He said the Narrowfields can sound like a Singlecoil, a P90 and a Humbucker depending on the volume.

Has anyone played both guitars and found that you liked one better than another? Whats is better, worse of different?

You may want to check out an NF3 as well before you decide what to do. This model has been discontinued, but my guess is that their are bargains out their if you want one. To my ears, the NF3 (with 5 way switch & narrowfield pickups) sits in between a single coiI and a humbucking type sound. It can cover a lot of musical territory. With that said, the 513 is also a very versatile instrument. It would play all of them 1st and then decide.

Having had a Sig Ltd, I think you've got something even cooler sounding than the narrowfields with your 408 pickups. I'd get the 513. It's scale length and other features will really give you a different sound from what you already have.

I guess this would be a question about either one. Do you find the middle pickup getting in the way at all?

I played my CU22 for 5 years and when i wanted to order my AP i was torn between the Studio
and the 513 and I chose the latter and I can tell you that the middle pickup not bothering me at all
but of course everyone one of us plays differently so it's best you try one.
hope that helps
good luck with your hunt

I played both last night. Both are awesome and versatile. If you want to cover the most range without tweaking the amp, effects, etc., go with the 513. The ability to go from spanky single coils to clear humbucking (some characteristics of P-90s) to full on higher output humbucking at the flick of a switch is pretty amazing.

The Studio is also very versatile, but I find myself tweaking a little more to get the right tones. Not knocking it at all--it's just a little bit easier to get range out of the 513.

Les, I agree with you on the 408 pups. The only thing missing is the spank of a middle pup. So, that's why there is the Brent Mason...

Ill take a Studio as i can get all the Country/Blues/Classic Rock/Modern Rock sounds i need with mine, i can even get classic Metal and Modern Metal out of mine with a Maxon OD808 in use. The Narrowfeilds are like a single coil on Steroids, they are like a P90 that is hum canceled. They are the most useable pickup for their size i have ever used, when used with the volume and tone knob you can get a more single coil sound out of them. The 57/08 is superlative, and that is without question.

I have never been a fan of the 513s, they just look too complicated for changing pickups whilst playing for a different sound. Id much rather go with the single 5 way switch.

Has anyone played both guitars and found that you liked one better than another? Whats is better, worse of different?
I have, sort of. My Studio is a Swamp Ash Studio, same pickup configuration with the Narrow Fields and the humbucker. The guitars are two different instruments in feel, size and sound. I have no preference between the two, I gifted the 513 to a nephew and have the Swamp Ash Studio as the alternative to my Ash Strats. The 513 neck is a different shape from the others but I had no problems with it. The 513 scale length is between a CU24's and a Strat's, two of my favorite guitars. The electronics combine to make the 513 heavier than most guitars but the somewhat thin body fits comfortably against the body. The Studio is the same size as a CU22.

With all the combinations on the 513 , you would think you would get overwhelmed, But I find I just use the 5 way switch mostly for live and only when I am searching for a sound in the studio do I touch the single coil/ humbucking switch. I love the guitar and the only tiny negative for me is that it doesn't balance well on my leg when sitting down and practicing.

I finally decided on a 513 that Willcutts had and pulled the trigger. It's even nicer that I thought it would be. Its a 2014 PRS 513 Artist Package with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and figured maple neck. Thanks for all the opinions.

Last edited:
I finally decided on a 513 that Willcutts had and pulled the trigger. It's even nicer that I thought it would be. Its a 2014 PRS 513 Artist Package with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and figured maple neck. Thanks for all the opinions.

Congratulations. That's the same combination of woods as my Private Stock. Of all the 513's that I own, that one is the brightest and most resonant. The perfect match for 513 pick ups. Hope yours is the same.

As far as tone, I was pleasantly surprised. I also have a Signature Limited and while I can hear different tones from each of the pickup and switch combinations, they aren't drastic. The first think I noticed about the 513 is just how many different tone combinations you can pull from it. From Super bright and cutting to deep and muddy and everywhere in between. I've only been able to play it a day or so but it's quickly becoming my favorite.

Cubby 61 - Congrats & glad to hear you like the guitar (I just ordered one myself) and it looks like a real beauty.

Back