Prs SE quality control

dsensat

I bought a prs Santana se and noticed that the neck pickup cavity looks like the router made a dip at the top of the cavity near the first string.
luckily the mounting ring covers it up but just barely. I was really surprised to see this after watching a se factory tour video on YouTube about how everything is checked out before leaving the factory. Anyone else noticed flaws like these on their prs se?

On my 2022 SE Standard 24 the bridge pickup poles are not aligned with the strings.

It is due to the width of the pickup larger than the bridge so I think it is a general SEs issue.

Probably wouldn’t come out of Maryland like that. At the SE price point, as long as final form and appearance, and functionality are not affected, it probably passed QC.

As an engineering professor told me many (many) years ago as I labored for an overly elegant solution - “takes too long, costs too much. Bash to fit, paint to cover.”

I like Phil McKnight's framing: he doesn't talk about "cheap" guitars, rather "fast" ones. The difference in price is amount of hands-on time an instrument gets after CNC.

I'm happy to trade things I won't see (like cavities) for things that affect playability (good fretwork, correctly aligned bridges, well slotted nuts.) And IMHO the SE nut work has improved in the last few years.

I bought a prs Santana se and noticed that the neck pickup cavity looks like the router made a dip at the top of the cavity near the first string.
luckily the mounting ring covers it up but just barely. I was really surprised to see this after watching a se factory tour video on YouTube about how everything is checked out before leaving the factory. Anyone else noticed flaws like these on their prs se?
the gearpage folks sent you here, eh ?

the mounting ring covers it up

So the only way to see this is by removing the mounting ring (which is there partially to cover up the rout)?

On my 2022 SE Standard 24 the bridge pickup poles are not aligned with the strings.

It is due to the width of the pickup larger than the bridge so I think it is a general SEs issue.

You'll see this on a gajillion instruments starting from the dawn of the electric guitar. There's no need for perfect alignment over the poles. More often than not, you WON'T have perfect alignment due to pickup pole spacing + bridge spacing + nut slot location + nut slot spacing.

Thanks for the reply’s. It’s not something that really bothers me I was just surprised that it wasn’t noticed. The guitar sounds, plays and looks great. I switch between it and my core custom 24 and I like them equally.

That's what really matters! Glad you are enjoying the guitar and not freaking out.

So the only way to see this is by removing the mounting ring (which is there partially to cover up the rout)?

You'll see this on a gajillion instruments starting from the dawn of the electric guitar. There's no need for perfect alignment over the poles. More often than not, you WON'T have perfect alignment due to pickup pole spacing + bridge spacing + nut slot location + nut slot spacing.

That's what really matters! Glad you are enjoying the guitar and not freaking out.
I had noticed slight space between the body and the ring so I took the ring off to see what what was going on. I guess I thought that would have been something that would have been caught before mounting the ring. But like you say what really matters is I’m enjoying the guitar.

Last edited:
I doubt the MD QC is taking off pickup rings unless there's an obvious pu related issue, so it's not on them one bit.
I noticed it because I saw a tiny bit of space between the body and ring so I took the ring off to what was going on. I was just surprised to see it wasn’t seen when when the rings were mounted. I guess I was a little disappointed because I expected more from prs. But it is what it is I still like the guitar.

Last edited:
Back